Table Slope in the Script on FP

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Attack From Mars
I am in the process of writing a tutorial and would like to know what happens on your PC when you add a table slope to the XML in the script that is different from the slope saved in the FP editor. I was almost sure that in the past that the slope saved in the script overrides the slope in the FP editor. I found today that the reverse is true now. I made sure that the XML was saved before I played the table. Would you guys might trying it and letting me know what you find. You can tell which slope is used by opening the "Physics Tweaks" menu in BAM.

This is the place in the script where the slope is saved:

<physics slope="6.8" fps="296" threaded="1"></physics>

I always created the XML at the end, I mean before publishing a table, I always configured the table first in the editor, also the "table scope", and then created the xml .... so I never noticed this particular that you describe

but if you do the reverse procedure, this could happen, in the editor a value in xml another, and how do you know which one actually, the table is using? even if you go to look in bam and see the value set on the xml, how do you know which one really uses the table?

the fact that you have two different values, this creates problems for you, avoids having two different values
then if the editor takes precedence maybe it can also be the fault of the fpram?

in my opinion, to avoid all this, do as I do, first on the editor, then you create your xml, so they are the same, but if you first create the xml, with a value different from that of the editor,then happens, what you say.

now, there is also to clarify and find out why xml does not take precedence, how you actually describe

Last edited:
...how do you know which one actually, the table is using? even if you go to look in bam and see the value set on the xml, how do you know which one really uses the table?

I have found that BAM displays the correct values for slope in the Physics Tweaks menu. I could tell by the differences in the way the table plays. I had a table where the slope in the FP editor was set to 10 and the XML was set to 6.8. I am familiar with the way slope 6.8 performs when it plays and was sure that BAM was using a slope of 10.

Would you mind trying a table that has different slopes in the XML in the script and FP editor? I think my installation of BAM may be messed up.

ok, i did some tests, including changing the values then save, then close fp,reset fpram( it did not work )
I tried in editor 10 in xml 5.0, there is a little difference but is perceptible ..... i.è. play in 10 and then in 5, you notice the difference
but what's really weird is that it always commands what's in the editor.... if in editor you have 10 and in xml you have 5.0, in bam you see what you have in editor not in xml.... and therefore what in editor works accordingly

Cattura44.JPG

Cattura56.JPG

slope.jpg

perhaps it is a problem that Rav needs to know,for to solve

Last edited:
@ravarcade

Paolo and I have determined that when there are different values for table slope in the XML that is saved to the script and the FP editor, BAM uses the values in the FP editor (as you can see in Paolo's screenshots above). It seems to me that the values in the script should override what is in the FP editor. Would you mind looking into this?

George

Did this get resolved. Script overrides xml, at least for me
I noticed when I tweaked the physics on a few of slams tables that the values were in the script.

Did this get resolved. Script overrides xml, at least for me
I noticed when I tweaked the physics on a few of slams tables that the values were in the script.

I usually delete the code slope="N.N" from the script when I publish a table. In other words, just change the script to read like this:

' <physics fps="296" threaded="1"></physics>

It makes it so the end user can change the slope in the FP editor without it being overridden by the script.

That is wrong assumption unless something changed in latest BAM builds.

slope= something is always overridden by what it is in the GUI.

Only way to change it is by changing physics on the fly. I already demonstrated this before with a video here somewhere but anyone can test.
You can use BAM menu to check, and change slope too after launch.

That is wrong assumption unless something changed in latest BAM builds.

slope= something is always overridden by what it is in the GUI.

Only way to change it is by changing physics on the fly. I already demonstrated this before with a video here somewhere but anyone can test.
You can use BAM menu to check, and change slope too after launch.
I just checked it changing physics on ghostbusters 1.3,
I added slope="7.2" in the xml, table slope in editor was 5.9 , ran table and bam dev mode shows 5.9
Then I deleted the xml and added physics directly to the script and bam dev mode still showed 5.9
Bam doesnt save your slope in the xml anyways, so in a way it makes sense.

@hellrzr2k1
Exactly.

GeorgeH wrote:
It makes it so the end user can change the slope in the FP editor without it being overridden by the script.

My answer was to point out that it can't be overridden by the script.

Only way to do change the slope in the script is by using xBAM.PhysicsXML.

I just checked it changing physics on ghostbusters 1.3,
I added slope="7.2" in the xml, table slope in editor was 5.9 , ran table and bam dev mode shows 5.9
Then I deleted the xml and added physics directly to the script and bam dev mode still showed 5.9
Bam doesnt save your slope in the xml anyways, so in a way it makes sense.

I have noticed some odd things happening with the slope in the XML. That is why I remove it from the script. I found this in one of Rav's postings:

"Slope from XML is used only when you switch in game between physics. When you start game (F5) BAM is always using slope stored in table (.fpt file)."

@hellrzr2k1

Only way to do change the slope in the script is by using xBAM.PhysicsXML.
For those of you that are interested, I figured out a way of changing slope and ball characteristics on my version of Twilight Zone. The white ceramic ball is lighter on the real table than the steel ball. So I figured out a method using xBAM.PhysicsXML to change the physics in game. xBAM.PhysicsXML is the little used option on the Physics Tweaks menu when you press Cnrl "C". The problem is that not all the parameters function even though there are values listed for everything. The parameters that work are the ones that you can adjust on the Physics Tweaks menu. ...So what I did was add the physics XML early in the script and then used xBAM.PhysicsXML to change the slope and ball characteristics. You must save the entire xBAM.PhysicsXML to the script so I left the other parameters unchanged from what was in the XML.

The only other parameters for physics that can be changed in the script are ones that I think were intended to be used for spinners but might be used for other objects (maybe, I have never used it). You can read these two threads for more info.

I don't recall we ever discussing those problems! I certainly would never relate that option with any problem, at least.

But in that case yeah, delete that entry from the XML and either use fp editor or the option in bam menu or the xbam.physicsXML.

Regarding xbam.PhysicsXML, it can change any on-the fly option that you can change in the bam menu.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: GeorgeH has posted a new reply in the thread "Sounds library".
      Back