The most EPIC and amazing Tron pinball game ever made!

TerryRed

Pinball Master
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
My Virtual Pinball Cabinet
Ok, that title might be a bit dramatic... but once you watch my preview video you might agree.
smile.png

I'm posting this in a separate thread, because when you watch the entire video, you'll understand that the new Tron mode is literally a different table within another table. (and not everyone know what RetroFlair is)

If you are a Tron fan... you MUST watch this, as it's Tron pinball like you've never seen before.... heck it's pinball like you've never seen before.

RetroFlair 2 - EPIC Gamez N Tunes

Preview Video featuring Table features and the entire Tron EPIC Gamez mode.

Finally...the first preview of my EPIC sequel to ROM's classic FP table. Be prepared to have your jaw drop as you have never seen virtual pinball like this! This features the most EPIC Tron pinball game ever made... with a surprise "BIG" ending!

Get yourself some popcorn, get comfy.... and watch the entire video from start to finish.

I don't want to say too much and spoil the MANY cool moments you will see. I show the entire Tron mode playthrough non-stop... and its one EPIC moment after another.

This was a real work of passion to try things I've always wanted to do, and also show what can be done in digital pinball with a little imagination and time. This table is using many of BAM's latest features, as well as using the new "TerryRed texture animation" method I came up with that is used throughout the table. Combined with FP-BAM's amazing dynamic lighting, this makes for stunning visuals.

I've always wanted to do my own table and also my own version of a Tron pinball game and here it is.. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks go out to those who contributed resources:

SLAMT1LT - (Tron sounds and music and inspiration from his excellent Tron tables)
Wild - (Tron disc conversion)
Schreibi34 - (for his gorgeous insert jewel images)
Rom - (for the original RetroFlair table, ghost / lightcycle / lightjet models)
Gimli, GeorgeH, Wild Steve Paradis, shiva and others at Pinball Nirvanna for support
ravarcade - for the amazing BAM that continues to evolve and allows imagination to drive pinball creation and unique experiences

Keep an eye out... there are more EPIC Gamez to come!

@Gimli
@GeorgeH
@ravarcade
@wild
@polygame
@shiva
@AnonTet
@popotte
@smoke
@fransisco666
@NitroNimbus

Brilliant!!!!
My compliments, a truly epic work, I don't remember seeing things like that, it will be a shame for me I can't try, but the video is crazy, I take comfort in seeing it, man!!

Bravo

Brilliant!!!!
My compliments, a truly epic work, I don't remember seeing things like that, it will be a shame for me I can't try, but the video is crazy, I take comfort in seeing it, man!!

Bravo

That's partly why I like making videos like this. Not everyone can play the table, but at least they can see what the experience would be like.

There's still much more work to be done..and more GAMEZ to add if FP doesn't reach its limit.

@TerryRed holly shit m8 this looks absolutely awesome, and the sound effects are out of this world.

What would be required to plays this ?

Last edited:
@TerryRed holly shit m8 this looks absolutely awesome, and the sound effects are out of this world.

Thanks. I had some help from SLAMT1LT's Tron tables for some of the Tron sounds which helps immensely. Digging up table sounds isn't easy...and Rom's original sounds were great. I needed to add a bunch more though... and that's an art form that SLAM excels at.

Thanks. I had some help from SLAMT1LT's Tron tables for some of the Tron sounds which helps immensely. Digging up table sounds isn't easy...and Rom's original sounds were great. I needed to add a bunch more though... and that's an art form that SLAM excels at.

Obviously BAM is needed to run this awesome table but what other software is required ?

I'm testing this on an i5 4670K with a GTX 1080 (8 GB vram) and it runs fine in 4K.

It will be a little bit more demanding than most FP tables I think... but the biggest limit would be how much vram your video card has. All mine have 8GB VRAM so I don't have anything with less to test on.

Obviously BAM is needed to run this awesome table but what other software is required ?

Just FP and the latest BAM, and up to date Windows / drivers / decent PC hardware.

Table is still a long ways from being done though. There's much more to add.... if FP lets me.

Just FP and the latest BAM, and up to date Windows / drivers / decent PC hardware.

Table is still a long ways from being done though. There's much more to add.... if FP lets me.
Amazing Terry !
Very polished and innovative !

That's fine i just didn't know if there was any other programs as i know some of your other tables require add ons that you have created software wise. Cant wait ( but obviously im gonna have too ), Really look forward and hopping you can do all you want to an already amazing looking table.

Amazing! I can't say I have ever seen anything like it. I don't see how you do it. I am significantly challenged by the tables I mod.

Wow!!! What a perfect way to show off what is now possible with FP/BAM and a very creative mind.
The amount of coding, trials and tribulations involved to get this point must of been insane.
Great work mate, can't wait to play the finished product, cheers!

Amazing! I can't say I have ever seen anything like it. I don't see how you do it. I am significantly challenged by the tables I mod.

There are times where I forget how I did something too :)

Apart from the dancing (especially the doomguy) I'm speechless.

PS: I hope I've missed Quorra retro sprite otherwise:

OddballChiefBadger-size_restricted.gif

@TerryRed

Lets play name the BAM features triva in Terry's new mod/game

1. Bam Lighting, Table , Flipper Shadows, Spot lights , insert lights
2.BAM dynamic physics , flippers
3. BAM script based xml
4. Bam 3d models and 3d animated models
5.Bam Magnets
6.BAM miniplayfield tool used for many things including swappable playfields
7. Bam ball.position , ball.velocity ? commands maybe ?

what else ?

@Gimli

You would think I was using the new BAM Ball position / velocity feature by watching the video....but I'm not (but boy it sure would have made my life a lot easier).

I'm using invisible kickers well above the table "glass" (disc wars, and for Super Pac-Man (which is not in this video).

I'm using multiple invisible kickers on the playfield with invisible kicker covers (surfaces) and magnets. So at times I have the magnet pull the ball into an area (recognizer) and once it hits a trigger in a specific spot, then that disables collisions in the invisible kicker cover which also pulls the ball down into the kicker. Once the kicker is hit, the ball is destroyed, the magnet is disabled, and the invisible kicker cover is made collidable again.

That method was also very much needed for the big Super Pacman ball...but it also gets sucked up into the air in an invisible tube because kickers on the playfield simply aren't big enough to work right to destroy a giant ball.

For the portals... its kind of the opposite sequence... I have invisible kickers in the arcade cabinet, and on the left side "orbit".

That said... it was good to learn how to do things the hard way, as I learned a lot, and it forced me to learn how to use the FP Modeler much more, and do more 3d modeling, etc.... which came in hand later for many other things. Such as the Disc Wars arena... and separating the trim so it could be used as a bulb model.

The new ball position / velocity would have made much of the above easier. I could just have the ball instantly appear in a hidden area temporarily...or placed on a hidden kicker not on the playfield...etc... and then use velocity to fire it wherever I want. That said... this can be used to allow for portals to be placed anywhere now and fire a ball from it... or from a character anywhere.

The Mascots are all placed in a mini playfield on top of a light insert. Since these are BAM custom models, you can change the position and scale of them at anytime (among other settings).... so when I switch to another Mascot / character... I have the current character stop animation and scale to 0, and then do the opposite for the new character... and then have the mini playfield move up / down...while turning on / off the spotlight.

The disc wars and sark fighters appear in the center of an area with 3 surfaces. The front for hits that count, the back / sides for hits the just bounce off. The characters are scale / positioned as needed. When the surfaces get hit under certain conditions...then an animation plays out. The center trigger is used for when you get enough hits... then the surface collisions are disabled... and when the trigger is hit by a disc (that now passes through the character) then the character dies.

1616252508204.png

I used so many mini playfields...that I needed them to be multi-purpose, as I'm running out (only 9 left and I can use a lot more). So having the characters scale to 0 and back was essential. Also, I use a single mini playfield for the different balls / tron discs used, as well as the dynamic flasher light that emits from them.

...but the disc aren't custom models (which can't be used as they allow bulb flares to pass through them).... so I needed to find a way to have multiple things use on one mini playfield tool that could be move elsewhere. So the easy solution to that is to use the pup plug-in to switch the texture of the discs / balls to an invisible TGA. So when the ball is moving around the playfield.. there is also 2 tron disc always following it, you just can't see them.

Using the pup plug-in to switch to inviable TGA textures was used heavily. For example the Tron light cycle ramps. This is actually two FP "ramp models" (not the same as a "ramp"). The normal funnel ramp is there... but I have another on top of it that (just the center part) that switched from invisible texture to animated textures for the illuminated arrows. So many other things also switch to an invisible texture when they need to be hidden / not used.

The portals are a few things combined. The launch and exit portals are actual an overlay for the "ring" and a bulb for the animated vortex. The center Magna-Portal is actually a 3d modelled cone (which is also a bulb) for the vortex to goes into the playfield...whereas the launch and exit portals use a flat bulb. The portal bulbs use a pup animated texture sequence. Then all 4 portals use a separate mini playfield to rotate the portal as well as open / close the portals. This works really nicely instead of trying to animated them as an image sequence.

Texture animations are all using my PuP Texture animation method...and there's a LOT used. :) This would have been impossible to do with GIFs as they would have taken up much more ram and would have caused stutters and serious performance drops as I'm using many of them as you can see here. :)

1616253127209.png

There were so many BAM features and tricks used it was crazy. I was considering doing a "behind the scenes" video that visually shows how everything is working behind the scenes.

You can see many of the components of the table I have...so far. This doesn't show any of the BAM custom models or characters used.

1616255938204.png

Last edited:
complimeti for your devotion and patience to achieve all this ..... I have not done the translation of everything you wrote ... also because maybe something I would not be able to understand ..... but from what I see, you have committed a lot of your mind .... a lot of time to make ..... if I think about the tests, I have goose skin

@Gimli

You would think I was using the new BAM Ball position / velocity feature by watching the video....but I'm not (but boy it sure would have made my life a lot easier).

I'm using invisible kickers well above the table "glass" (disc wars, and for Super Pac-Man (which is not in this video).

I'm using multiple invisible kickers on the playfield with invisible kicker covers (surfaces) and magnets. So at times I have the magnet pull the ball into an area (recognizer) and once it hits a trigger in a specific spot, then that disables collisions in the invisible kicker cover which also pulls the ball down into the kicker. Once the kicker is hit, the ball is destroyed, the magnet is disabled, and the invisible kicker cover is made collidable again.

That method was also very much needed for the big Super Pacman ball...but it also gets sucked up into the air in an invisible tube because kickers on the playfield simply aren't big enough to work right to destroy a giant ball.

For the portals... its kind of the opposite sequence... I have invisible kickers in the arcade cabinet, and on the left side "orbit".

That said... it was good to learn how to do things the hard way, as I learned a lot, and it forced me to learn how to use the FP Modeler much more, and do more 3d modeling, etc.... which came in hand later for many other things. Such as the Disc Wars arena... and separating the trim so it could be used as a bulb model.

The new ball position / velocity would have made much of the above easier. I could just have the ball instantly appear in a hidden area temporarily...or placed on a hidden kicker not on the playfield...etc... and then use velocity to fire it wherever I want. That said... this can be used to allow for portals to be placed anywhere now and fire a ball from it... or from a character anywhere.

The Mascots are all placed in a mini playfield on top of a light insert. Since these are BAM custom models, you can change the position and scale of them at anytime (among other settings).... so when I switch to another Mascot / character... I have the current character stop animation and scale to 0, and then do the opposite for the new character... and then have the mini playfield move up / down...while turning on / off the spotlight.

The disc wars and sark fighters appear in the center of an area with 3 surfaces. The front for hits that count, the back / sides for hits the just bounce off. The characters are scale / positioned as needed. When the surfaces get hit under certain conditions...then an animation plays out. The center trigger is used for when you get enough hits... then the surface collisions are disabled... and when the trigger is hit by a disc (that now passes through the character) then the character dies.

View attachment 18679

I used so many mini playfields...that I needed them to be multi-purpose, as I'm running out (only 9 left and I can use a lot more). So having the characters scale to 0 and back was essential. Also, I use a single mini playfield for the different balls / tron discs used, as well as the dynamic flasher light that emits from them.

...but the disc aren't custom models (which can't be used as they allow bulb flares to pass through them).... so I needed to find a way to have multiple things use on one mini playfield tool that could be move elsewhere. So the easy solution to that is to use the pup plug-in to switch the texture of the discs / balls to an invisible TGA. So when the ball is moving around the playfield.. there is also 2 tron disc always following it, you just can't see them.

Using the pup plug-in to switch to inviable TGA textures was used heavily. For example the Tron light cycle ramps. This is actually two FP "ramp models" (not the same as a "ramp"). The normal funnel ramp is there... but I have another on top of it that (just the center part) that switched from invisible texture to animated textures for the illuminated arrows. So many other things also switch to an invisible texture when they need to be hidden / not used.

The portals are a few things combined. The launch and exit portals are actual an overlay for the "ring" and a bulb for the animated vortex. The center Magna-Portal is actually a 3d modelled cone (which is also a bulb) for the vortex to goes into the playfield...whereas the launch and exit portals use a flat bulb. The portal bulbs use a pup animated texture sequence. Then all 4 portals use a separate mini playfield to rotate the portal as well as open / close the portals. This works really nicely instead of trying to animated them as an image sequence.

Texture animations are all using my PuP Texture animation method...and there's a LOT used. :) This would have been impossible to do with GIFs as they would have taken up much more ram and would have caused stutters and serious performance drops as I'm using many of them as you can see here. :)

View attachment 18680

There were so many BAM features and tricks used it was crazy. I was considering doing a "behind the scenes" video that visually shows how everything is working behind the scenes.

You can see many of the components of the table I have...so far. This doesn't show any of the BAM custom models or characters used.

View attachment 18685
A behind the scenes would be very cool Terry.
It is so amazing creatively what can be done now.

@Gimli @GeorgeH @wild @polygame @shiva @ravarcade @AnonTet @NitroNimbus

@popotte @smoke

RetroFlair 2 - "Behind the Scenes". A visual showcase of how all the magic happens! (Future Pinball)

Wow! Thanks for all the praise I've been seeing for my first preview video for RetroFlair 2. As a result, I decided to do a unique video that "shows" you how it all works behind the scenes in "real-time". I demonstrate how I use BAM's many features to create and do all the cool things you see (without being too technical), and how I brought Tron to life in a pinball game like you've never seen before.

Note: the stutters seen in the video from about 24:00 to 40:00'ish are a result of the Youtube video conversion. :(

Normal gameplay is silky smooth with no stutters.

Everything is bookmarked for quick reference:

Introduction - 0:00
Inspiration and motives - 2:04
Lighting - 3:01
Texture Animations - 6:01
Inserts - 7:34
Table Misc Features - 9:54
BAM Custom Models, Animated Characters - 13:11
BAM Mini Playfields - 15:39
Magna-Portal 20:23
TRON Epic Gamez mode - 24:26
Disc Wars - 33:16
Animated Character Opponent Targets - 36:54
LightCycle Battle - 38:39
LightJet Battle - 46:00
Tron Classic - 50:58
Closing Thoughts - 57:26

Last edited:
New Re-Uploaded video. Old video has stutters from Youtube conversion, so I removed it. This new video plays fine throughout.

New Re-Uploaded video. Old video has stutters from Youtube conversion, so I removed it. This new video plays fine throughout.
Thanks so much for the video Terry !
I just watched it !
What a showcase for your creativity and knowledge !
I can see one or two features that I have helped with along the way , but never would have implemented so beautifully.
So it is a blessing to see how the interactions within the community with all of us BAMMERs has culminated in such a truly epic piece of work.

So let me get this straight are you actually trying to imply that BAM does more than just scale your table for you in cabinet mode ? :smile:
I won't believe it !

You know what they say... it takes a village.

I've been harping about BAM's features to others for a long time... they are catching on.

Hi Terry, first of all thanks for all of your. Wonderful work and contribution for the pinball world, you have made thousands of people very happy.
I need your help
If i start pinup player without Doflinx playing behind, all pievent tables works nice with all led light effects but other tables does not play doflinx, if i close pinup player, run doflinx than run pup player again all tables run doflinx and leds except pinevent tables ( run doflinx but led doesn’t work), i have been pulling my hair after a lots of hours trying to fix it, but no success
What the problem would be?
Please make me feel really happy since it is the only thing that does not work on my beautiful pinball machine.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: HZR has posted a new reply in the thread "Complete list of VB commands".
      Back