Best File Manager

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Attack From Mars
Over the years I have tried many file managers. The one I like the best is called "FreeCommander" that you can get here:

You don't have to choose between a tabbed browser or dual pane because this one has both (and I actually use both at the same time). It also has a file renamer built into it that I use all the time also. As the name implies, the 32 bit version is free.

I spent a lot of time configuring it. I attached the "Settings" folder on my version that you will probably want to use. You should be able to just delete the "Settings" folder that is installed and add my folder. The only things that probably won't work are the three buttons on the far right side of the toolbar that change the layout so you will want to change those.

I use this all the time when working on my Future Pinball tables. It works well with my setup described here:

Attachments

• Settings.7z
    11.6 MB · Views: 82
Actually, I was still using W10 for much of this stuff. :s

dumbass.jpg

The W10 file explorer is OK until you try to move or copy a file from one place to another then I hate it.

I use fastcopy for copying / moving stuff for so long now...
Windows was always bad at this and it feels like using floppy disks again.
I actually miss Norton commander from DOS days. I wonder if there's something like this but retro styled text version for Windows but free commander might do the trick the same way.

I use fastcopy for copying / moving stuff for so long now...
Windows was always bad at this and it feels like using floppy disks again.
I actually miss Norton commander from DOS days. I wonder if there's something like this but retro styled text version for Windows but free commander might do the trick the same way.
This one is reminiscent of Norton commander; hence, "commander" in the name. I tried a few other programs that claimed to be like Norton commander but I didn't like them.

There is a portable ZIP file that does not perform an installation so you can try it without leaving a bunch of junk files behind if you decide to uninstall it. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to try it:

I also have used Free Commander and applied @GeorgeH's settings.

I spent a lot of time configuring it. I attached the "Settings" folder on my version that you will probably want to use. You should be able to just delete the "Settings" folder that is installed and add my folder. The only things that probably won't work are the three buttons on the far right side of the toolbar that change the layout so you will want to change those.
Thanks for the settings, I'm now using George's view and will explore them some more!

I also have used Free Commander and applied @GeorgeH's settings.

Thanks for the settings, I'm now using George's view and will explore them some more!

You might post how well you like the settings after you try them.

I blindly used your settings so I can't even compare to defaults.

I only changed the theme to a darker one.

You normally have to download each theme separately but I included all of the ones I have downloaded in the attachment. I modified several of them also.

So that's why they were there.
Liking it so far.
Great tip and better only if it was text based :)

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back