Flipperless Brio Labyrinths Simple and Advanced

I am away for a few days but Rav suggested this:

Code:
        Dim dX : dX = xBAM.Ball.Position.X - Bulb1Ext.X
        Dim dY : dY = xBAM.Ball.Position.Y - Bulb1Ext.Y
        Dim distToIndy : distToIndy = sqr(dX*dX + dY*dY)
        If distToIndy < 30 Then AddDebugText "Rock Wins!" : PlaySound "Yeah Ha"

It should work perfectly ?
Dang, while reading the earlier replies I was thinking of suggesting just that, altho at the same time thinking "surely Bob and Terry would know about that old trick?"

Back when I did my Billiards game in VP, there didn't seem to be a way to detect certain kinds of hits via script, so I had to use some math like the above to tell when balls collided, simply so I could play an appropriate sound. I recall ripping the idea from a cool table called "Quidditch Madness," which had some crazy physics and very non-typical pinball objectives.

Hmm... probably should get that uploaded here.

Attachments

• Quid Mad.jpg
    Quid Mad.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 56
Wowies... that is very impressive and very hilarious!

Talk soon on this stuff.
I decided to do some tweaks to Quidditch Madness and as usual... yeah.

Wowies... that is very impressive and very hilarious!

Talk soon on this stuff.
I decided to do some tweaks to Quidditch Madness and as usual... yeah.
As we have it set that high scores are based on completing the labyrinth in the quickest time.
, I developed a way to have the lowest values appear first on the high score table.

I was thinking in Indy Mode that you have to hit Indy 5 times with the boulder and then complete the labyrinth in the lowest time possible.

I will have Indy show up at random places on the table with various animations and eventually explosions etc....

I think Paolo suggested a pac man version in a previous post...this also is definitely doable now

I think Paolo suggested a pac man version in a previous post...this also is definitely doable now
Yes.....now there is the possibility, to do the models would not be a problem(pac,fruit, ghosts) ..... a problem would be the ghosts, make them move alone looking for pac .... maybe no ..... with A.I. , it would be a solution.After all, it's a simple table,in terms of construction, the most is,the script.

Yes.....now there is the possibility, to do the models would not be a problem(pac,fruit, ghosts) ..... a problem would be the ghosts, make them move alone looking for pac .... maybe no ..... with A.I. , it would be a solution.After all, it's a simple table,in terms of construction, the most is,the script.
Ghost AI would be tricky for sure.
With IJ mode I have holes that are covered or open . We could do the same with pac man have Ghost holes that block you until you eat a magic pill…on timers

Ghost AI would be tricky for sure.
With IJ mode I have holes that are covered or open . We could do the same with pac man have Ghost holes that block you until you eat a magic pill…on timers
In a maze table theme, this solution of yours would be another way, (it's not like a real pac-man game) but it would be fun all the same, and it's always an innovative game.
Ok,if you need anything just let me know.

@Isaac Sauvage
@NitroNimbus
@Gin
@TerryRed
@GeorgeH
@Paolo
@AnonTet
@LtJazz

Sorry to keep boring you guys with updates, but I thought I would keep you in the loop of the progress on Indiana Jones " That's Boulderdash "

Based on Ike's concept of hunting Indy with a boulder I updated the game as follows:

In order to complete the game you must squash Indy 6 Times.

There is the opening and closing animation where Indy is running the maze and then 4 other random occasions where Indy is waiting for you in an alcove on the maze

Once you have squashed him 6 times then a trap door will open and you can exit the maze.

If you complete the maze your time will be entered into the highscores.

Your mouse should work automatically in this game or you can use the arrow keys. I find the mouse function is better....

You can try the WIP below if you wish. I don't think Paolo system will run the model animations.

View attachment Future Pinball 2021-09-12 22-04-07-66.mp4

Attachments

• LabyrinthBoulderDash.fpt
    19.6 MB · Views: 45
Looks cool but why squash Indy? You should change Indy to a monster or something.

I'd rather see Lara Croft myself. :boobies:

Could be done…

Last edited:
Looks cool but why squash Indy? You should change Indy to a monster or something.
The maze and boulder motif is a nod to IJ and he always wins so why not give the boulder a chance….its like letting the coyote eat the road runner. That would be more fun for a change
😆

Tried and approved (even though I failed) !
But can you swear no Indy were harmed in the making of this game ?

Tried and approved (even though I failed) !
But can you swear no Indy were harmed in the making of this game ?
Oh ya man ! Indy’s been tried and tested . We had him jump from a plane in an inflatable raft and dragged him behind a jeep.
He’s made of a composite of rubber and kevlar 😝

I'm wondering if a dynamic panning camera is possible? Following Indy at a distance, then you would have a real 3D tomb raider type game? Just a thought after reading the latest camera panning thread.

I'm wondering if a dynamic panning camera is possible? Following Indy at a distance, then you would have a real 3D tomb raider type game? Just a thought after reading the latest camera panning thread.
We can definitely experiment with that Steve . It is learning curve using these tilting table style games and having the camera pan at the same time might be disorienting…but who knows?
I do like the idea of zooming closer as they are fully textured character models and all that is wasted in the static zoomed out mode

Definitely not bored. Actually I which I got more updates on something as I'm mostly reading at the moment. Thank you for posting.

Btw, I love the idea of following the hero / heroine with a dynamic POV. I suppose a decent camera-view would simply orient itself in the direction of the ball's current vector of motion, set behind and raised up a bit.

Should also help bring out details in the boulder, perhaps incidentally necessitating a larger boulder model?

Pretty round and grey in that scene.

Last edited:
Btw, I love the idea of following the hero / heroine with a dynamic POV. I suppose a decent camera-view would simply orient itself in the direction of the ball's current vector, set behind and raised up a bit.

Should also help bring out details in the boulder, perhaps incidentally necessitating a larger boulder model?

Pretty round and grey in that scene.
I will see what I can do
The color of the boulder can be changed and the shape but a round boulder zoomed out will just look like a ball.

I can play with the POV, the typical Captive scrolling camera in FP zooms in awkwardly and you can't
easily coordinate/see how you are tilting the table relative the all holes you are trying to avoid

Also I don't think I can make the ball bigger make it activate the kicker holes.
With BAM you can:
1. Increase the radius of the actual ball (boulder) but it won't work to activate a kicker hole
2. Attach a large boulder model to an invisible ball. The kicker will work but the boulder boundaries will spill overtop to the wall boundaries visually

I will see what I can do
The color of the boulder can be changed and the shape but a round boulder zoomed out will just look like a ball.
Would it be possible to switch between a large, detailed boulder for the 'boulder-view,' and another (more distinct) model for the zoomed-out view?

I can play with the POV, the typical Captive scrolling camera in FP zooms in awkwardly and you can't easily coordinate/see how you are tilting the table relative the all holes you are trying to avoid
D'oh, I hadn't consider the tilting aspect of the game. Perhaps the 'Z' of the view could align itself with however the playing field is tilted? Also, when zoomed in, maybe ditch the opaque ball model and instead make it a wire-frame ball in that mode, such that the gobble holes (and the hero) can still be seen ahead?

Also I don't think I can make the ball bigger make it activate the kicker holes.
With BAM you can:
1. Increase the radius of the actual ball (boulder) but it won't work to activate a kicker hole
2. Attach a large boulder model to an invisible ball. The kicker will work but the boulder boundaries will spill overtop to the wall boundaries visually
Hmm, that makes sense to me in a sort of layman's way who hasn't actually messed with that stuff.

So if I understand aright, then it's not functionally possible to get sort of the 'movie look' of the giant boulder that exactly matches Raiders? Even so, that doesn't seem like a major deal to me, because the spirit of the scene will still be communicated with the look, feel and sounds of the original.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to switch between a large, detailed boulder for the 'boulder-view,' and another (more distinct) model for the zoomed-out view?

D'oh, I hadn't consider the tilting aspect of the game. Perhaps the 'Z' of the view could align itself with however the playing field is tilted? Also, when zoomed in, maybe ditch the opaque ball model and instead make it a wire-frame ball in that mode, such that the gobble holes (and the hero) can still be seen ahead?

Hmm, that makes sense to me in a sort of layman's way who hasn't actually messed with that stuff.

So if I understand aright, then it's not functionally possible to get sort of the 'movie look' of the giant boulder that exactly matches Raiders? Even so, that doesn't seem like a major deal to me, because the spirit of the scene will still be communicated with the look, feel and sounds of the original.
Here is the demo of larger more round, whiter boulder. You can see how it extends beyond the boundaries of the walls sometimes
View attachment largeboulder.mp4

Cool, now you get to see the models a bit better. What might be great, would be a close up replay of the squishing for full sadistic satisfaction. :devil5:

Yeah, that bigger boulder is neat! :D

Do you think it possible to get a 'boulder view' perspective as I described above?

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back