Bally WIP Recreation BAM FP CiRQuS VoLTaiRe v4 (Bally 1997)

Future Pinball
I twould be cool if Francisco666 were still around and could help....I don't see he is a member here although I did invite him

I will do my best to help out...

What about Smoke, did'nt he do all the animations for TOTAN

@Gin
I don't know what your time/energy/desire is for this project but if you can rip some of the dmdf or at least dump the file and explain what to do from there that would be immensely helpful
Sure, I can start to rip some of the DMD animations (until the cavalry arrives ;) )... most of which will need to have the 'Dynamic' aspects removed before the creation of the *.dmdf font files; although nothing new there for a future pinball recreation table... So - it will take a while...

I am attaching the 'Intro' Sequence - in case you would like to use this instead of the DMD Texture images... so that you can start to do your coding template(?).

FYI: Process that I use (at a high-level!)

1 - I use a "Custom" standalone version of vPinMAME32 that GF provided, along with the Circus Voltaire ROM (cv_14.zip)
2 - Identify the "Switch" matrix switch controls for the respective 'Shots' (Rules) of the table (this will take me some time - as I do not know the rules / locations and sequences of shots required)... I have downloaded the 'Manual' to help, and will be watching plenty of YouTube for assistance.
3 - Then, using a combination of 'Keyboard' keys [ Q - I / A - K ] ; as detailed in the Switch Matrix, this will generate the 'shots' and respective DMD Animations that are then saved in a "dump.txt" file (in the root of the vPinMAME folder).
4 - Open the "dump.txt" with DMDpaint, locate the 'frames' required and extract/save them as a new *.txt file.
5 - Load the new *.txt file into DMDpaint, update/amend accordingly and then save as a *.dmdf file.

NOTE: The time consuming aspect of this process - is the removal of the 'dynamic' aspects from each respective frame using DMDpaint (player, score, ball etc., and trying to replace with the image (dots) of the background DMD animation (some artistic licensing required here).

FYI: I believe that there is a similar way of dumping the animations using Visual Pinball with PinMAME --- by playing the game --- all of which are saved in a 'dump.txt' file... but as I do not have VP installed, this is something I can not confirm.

Attachments

• FP_Circus_Voltaire_Introduction_DMD_Animation.zip
    301.1 KB · Views: 44
Sure, I can start to rip some of the DMD animations (until the cavalry arrives ;) )... most of which will need to have the 'Dynamic' aspects removed before the creation of the *.dmdf font files; although nothing new there for a future pinball recreation table... So - it will take a while...

I am attaching the 'Intro' Sequence - in case you would like to use this instead of the DMD Texture images... so that you can start to do your coding template(?).

FYI: Process that I use (at a high-level!)

1 - I use a "Custom" standalone version of vPinMAME32 that GF provided, along with the Circus Voltaire ROM (cv_14.zip)
2 - Identify the "Switch" matrix switch controls for the respective 'Shots' (Rules) of the table (this will take me some time - as I do not know the rules / locations and sequences of shots required)... I have downloaded the 'Manual' to help, and will be watching plenty of YouTube for assistance.
3 - Then, using a combination of 'Keyboard' keys [ Q - I / A - K ] ; as detailed in the Switch Matrix, this will generate the 'shots' and respective DMD Animations that are then saved in a "dump.txt" file (in the root of the vPinMAME folder).
4 - Open the "dump.txt" with DMDpaint, locate the 'frames' required and extract/save them as a new *.txt file.
5 - Load the new *.txt file into DMDpaint, update/amend accordingly and then save as a *.dmdf file.

NOTE: The time consuming aspect of this process - is the removal of the 'dynamic' aspects from each respective frame using DMDpaint (player, score, ball etc., and trying to replace with the image (dots) of the background DMD animation (some artistic licensing required here).

FYI: I believe that there is a similar way of dumping the animations using Visual Pinball with PinMAME --- by playing the game --- all of which are saved in a 'dump.txt' file... but as I do not have VP installed, this is something I can not confirm.
Thanks Gin that is Awesome !

@Gin
Did GF have you ripping the DMDf's for Voltaire ?

Its enabling the mouse to manually move the ball around during a game
Maybe...need this dll also.....to insert in folder of pf

Attachments

• Dinput8.zip
    247.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
interesting I've never needed that...
maybe it is installed with bam installation....check in your fp folder if there is this dll
GF, he suggested this to me, when I didn't know about "mbr"

Last edited:
@Popotte
@Paolo
@GeorgeH
@Gin
Do any of you remember the online pinball rom playing link ?

I used it for monster bash it helps to understand the dmdf sequences

I think GF gave it to us or maybe JPR ?

@Gin
Did GF have you ripping the DMDf's for Voltaire ?
No, GF did not ask for this support... but happy to help/assist moving forward (if required)!

Do any of you remember the online pinball rom playing link ?
No, not aware of such an option (opportunity) to do so... probably before my time 🤭 ... although I would definitely like to try it out - if it still exists!

Hi Gin
I misread the above
I thought you were saying that you ripped Voltaire for Franzleo in the past

No, GF did not ask for this support... but happy to help/assist moving forward (if required)!

Perfect. The intro Dmdf is great !

This site says it will play Bally roms online but I was unable to find where it does it:

Thanks George
This site says it will play Bally roms online but I was unable to find where it does it:

Thanks George
it was a cool link .I search GFs posts at gopinball unsuccessfully

No, GF did not ask for this support
No, GF did not ask for this support
If it was still alive, we would have already played this table:cry:

I don't want to do the "guastafeste" an Italian saying, as to say, "break a party" or"to interrupt a party",however I reiterate, even if I have not been mentioned, in terms of dmd animations.
I have already included such animations, previously, in my table batman, with the support of @Gin , which provided me with the animations.
Now if there was the same condition, I would be propenzed to try, but it's a long job, I know how to use the code that is needed to insert them in the "table" ..... maybe someone else (available here in PN) He knows how to do, I don't know ..... but it's hard to do this kind of work, as I said above you need to know the table, in the sense that you have to know where and when to insert the animations, I have learned at my expense, that is, playing on VPX version, to learn.... that I don't suggest it to anyone.

Last edited:
If it was still alive, we would have already played this table:cry:

I don't want to do the "guastafeste" an Italian saying, as to say, "break a party" or"to interrupt a party",however I reiterate, even if I have not been mentioned, in terms of dmd animations.
I have already included such animations, previously, in my table batman, with the support of @Gin , which provided me with the animations.
Now if there was the same condition, I would be propenzed to try, but it's a long job, I know how to use the code that is needed to insert them in the "table" ..... maybe someone else (available here in PN) He knows how to do, I don't know ..... but it's hard to do this kind of work, as I said above you need to know the table, in the sense that you have to know where and when to insert the animations, I have learned at my expense, that is, playing on VPX version, to learn.... that I don't suggest it to anyone.
I have a template for the dmd code from Francisco and we can take our time adding the dmdfs as Gin makes them available.

The intro one provided above is great start .

I have a template for the dmd code from Francisco
sounds good!!!
forgive me,Bob.... I did not know, and understood,that you knew how to do this.I'm glad you know👍
I hope you also know where to insert the code (animations), because if you have to learn it by playing (in vpx) or by watching videos on youtube ..... it is very tiring.:shockedalien:

sounds good!!!
forgive me,Bob.... I did not know, and understood,that you knew how to do this.I'm glad you know👍
I hope you also know where to insert the code (animations), because if you have to learn it by playing (in vpx) or by watching videos on youtube ..... it is very tiring.:shockedalien:
Ya Gin helped me with Monster Bash DMDfs which I used and then double crossed him by going with full colour frames. And Gin also supplied the missing DMDfs for my Indiana Jones Pinball Adventure mod that Slam has now converted to a Legendary version.

So I have done it but need a refresher. I actually have a tutorial on background DMD animations that essentially uses the same code .

Ya it is a bit of a laborious process

Attaching a couple of DMD zipped folder/files...

1 - There are 2 sizes of the font used in the "Credits" and "Free Game at" DMD Text / Information frames; as and when I come across additional letters/numbers etc.- I will add these and re-post the *dmdf files (if required).

NOTE: In the 'small' font (used in displaying the number of credits), you will notice that there is no number 4 or 9... as when entering coins/credits - the credits awarded jump from 3 to 5, and 8 to 10 respectively; a maximum of 10 credits can be entered.

Similar to the above comment - the 'large' font (used for both 'Credits (Insert Coins / Press Start text...)' and 'Free Game at' text) only has numbers 0, 2 and 5.

2 - Initial capture and creation of the "Acrobat" mode DMD animations.

Regards...

Ya it is a bit of a laborious process
No way.... "Laborious" is my middle name... :rof:

Attachments

• CV_Credits_Free_Game_at_Fonts.zip
    2 KB · Views: 40
  • CV_Acrobat_Mode_DMD_Animations.zip
    110.3 KB · Views: 42
I forgot I also coded all the DMDf's for Polygame's Shootanza
The dmdfs were created by him and the coding template was his but he let me do all the coding.

@Gin
@RwL
@LtJazz
@GeorgeH
@Paolo
@NitroNimbus

The above link works perfect on my home computer. You can start a game and then press any of the lanes or targets and see the rom animation sequences very cool !
This is just like the link I used before.

@LtJazz

I would like to try your table. I assume you are OK with combining the two versions. If you don't want to post it here, you could send it to Gin, Gimli, Paolo, RwL and myself on a private message.

George

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Wolfkell is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back