Bally WIP Recreation BAM FP CiRQuS VoLTaiRe v4 (Bally 1997)

Future Pinball
Here is the altsound package:

šŸ˜² This set is more than complete : there are 558 sounds or music !

I will not be able to exploit everything. As a priority I will replace the existing sounds that were of poor quality. Then I will try to identify music and important sounds that still miss.

Thanks @GeorgeH šŸ‘

šŸ˜² This set is more than complete : there are 558 sounds or music !

I will not be able to exploit everything. As a priority I will replace the existing sounds that were of poor quality. Then I will try to identify music and important sounds that still miss.

Thanks @GeorgeH šŸ‘

These are the original sounds from the ROM. I suspect the sounds that are already on the table are also from the original ROM so you may not hear much difference in quality. The pinsound site only had the original sounds also so I think they are the same as the altsound site.

I have reworked audio on other tables using these same type of ROM files. If you want to replace some of the audio files, you will probably find that you have to mix several sounds together. I have mixed sound many times using Audacity. I'm not very good at identifying which sounds are combined but I can mix them for you if you send me the original sound and all the new sounds. The sound is usually mono and I normally duplicate the sound so there are 2 mono tracks and connect them like stereo so they play back on stereo speakers correctly.

This is the altsound site if you ever work on other tables:

I just tried but I only get one color (the same one) for the background image (which is a character in a dmdf font) and the text that is displayed above. This is interesting for images stored as a texture but not for images stored to dmdf fonts.
Ya you are right! I forgot all the nuances of this stuff that Rav enabled. I think few people have used itā€¦ but rav has been amazing at creating possibilities

Ya you are right! I forgot all the nuances of this stuff that Rav enabled. I think few people have used itā€¦ but rav has been amazing at creating possibilities

I would never have thought about adding different colors to the 464.BMP file like LtJazz did. I take it that the colors on the 464.BMP file must mix with the color that the DMD is set to in the FP editor? It seems that the color of the DMD would need to be white if the swatches on 464.BMP actually do mix.

I would never have thought about adding different colors to the 464.BMP file like LtJazz did. I take it that the colors on the 464.BMP file must mix with the color that the DMD is set to in the FP editor? It seems that the color of the DMD would need to be white if the swatches on 464.BMP actually do mix.
Ya Rav could approach LtJazz problem in 2 ways

1. Texture swap code on the 464.bmp to whatever.bmp

2.Enable distinct code for background vs foreground colors on dmdfā€™s (ie dmds that don't use image lists)

BUT as LtJazz suggests if he wishes the dmdfs to have the same color as the dmd matrix then he can do that with gif2dmdf program

2.Enable distinct code for background vs foreground colors on dmdfā€™s (ie dmds that don't use image lists)
I didn't think that LtJazz was using image lists on the DMDs.

It seems like Rav might be able to set an RGB code in the script for each color swatch on the 464.BMP file?

I didn't think that LtJazz was using image lists on the DMDs.

It seems like Rav might be able to set an RGB code in the script for each color swatch on the 464.BMP file?
Ya he is not using image lists .

The current BAM code allows different colors of foreground (ie scores , numbers and text ) which is the same as so-called matrix color
and at the same time different background colours provided you use image lists for the background.

The demo table I posted shows this.

But in theory a genius like Rav could enable different colors of background animated dmd fonts like LtJazz is using in this table

I donā€™t know how easy it is for Rav to do this and frankly it hasnā€™t been requested until now but it would complete the toolbox of BAM dmd coding options

Exactly. This is why my settings for the "Cirqus Voltaire" colors palette is as follows :

Code:
xBAM.SetDefaultMatrixBaseColor 11, 11, 11
PlayfieldDMDExt.SetMatrixColor 255, 255, 255

Last edited:
My mod of "Space Shuttle" has the switchable lighting and the latest menu system if you want to check it out.
I tried your "Space Shuttle" mod and I think the lighting is very nice.

I noticed that the table was using shadow maps to generate shadows.

I did a try on the Cirqus Voltaire v3.0 WIP but, as I expected, it doesn't work. It seems that shadow maps don't apply to other surfaces than the main playfield of the table (NB : as for the reflections). To check, I tried on a new table and I get the same result : shadows on the playfield, but no shadow on the apron (for example).

Do you know a way to apply shadow maps on any surface other than the main playfield ?

I tried your "Space Shuttle" mod and I think the lighting is very nice.

Thanks!

Do you know a way to apply shadow maps on any surface other than the main playfield ?

No, it is limited to the playfield. I haven't tried changing other surfaces to a playfield though I doubt it will work. Most surfaces other than the playfield are small and shadows are not very noticeable. There is still the round fake ball shadow that appears on all surfaces.

I have a check list of all the stuff I add to tables because there is too much to try to remember:

:box: 1. Add custom physics and dynamic flippers.
:box: 2. Add emkickers to the slingshots to improve physics.
:box: 3. Add HUD Toggle Key that saves setting.
:box: 4. Add lighting mod and add Lighting Control Panel to the script.
:box: 5. Add switchable option for 3 or 5 balls per game that saves setting.
:box: 6. Add menu system with options for lighting, balls per game, HUD on/off, possibly light instruction cards and other things as needed.
:box: 7. Add new textures on the table loading screen.
:box: 8. Add message that looks at BAM version.
:box: 9. Add shadow maps.
:box: 10. Add bulbs that provide the halo that shines through the slingshots.
:box: 11. Add bump maps to the models.
:box: 12. Add DMD background color, ball/flipper shadows and ball configuration to the script.
:box: 13. Add game room floor and backwall.
:box: 14. Create overlay for the HUD.
:box: 15. Add new instruction cards.
:box: 16. Convert all textures to power of 2 to reduce table loading time.
:box: 17. Add BAM code that allows the score to exceed 2 billion points.
:box: 18. Add side rails (sometimes called side blades).
:box: 19. Add plunger pull special script.
:box: 20. Convert "execute" and "eval" commands in script to long form to prevent stuttering from antivirus.
:box: 21. Adjust the color/brightness of backglass and playfield.
:box: 22. Add sound when the ball hits the flippers.
:box: 23. Add spinner code if needed.

I can add any of this stuff that you like.

Last edited:
Hello to all,

I come to give you some news about v3_WIP progress.

Since my last visit, I have made many changes, mainly concerning :
- implementation of missing game sequences (or inaccurate, according rules)
- lighting management (the implementation of reflections, shadow maps and raycast shadows not being possible on this table, I had to find tips to significantly improve the visual rendering)
- the integration and synchronization of all the original sounds of the game provided by @GeorgeH (very time-consuming)
- many graphical improvements

Next and last step before I can (finally) publish this v3 : to improve the physics !

_CirqusVoltaire_V3.0 WIP.png

For information, here are the changes I made since my last post :

Major bugs :
- tilt management and testing in all situations
- management of multiball end when there are several simultaneous multiballs

Physics :
- improvement of the relaunch of the ball captured by the ringmaster (exit angle, ball velocity control)
- modification of the bumpers to prevent the ball from getting stuck underneath
- modification of the spinners which often blocked the ball
- improvements to prevent the caged ball from "breaking free" and ending up anywhere on the playfield (leading to game crashing)

Gameplay & rules :
- Juggler jackpot sequence implementation according rules found on ipdb.org (magnetic capture, double jackpot, super jackpot)
- implementation of the ringmaster razz sequence according rules found on ipdb.org
- implementation of the ringmaster special sequence according rules found on ipdb.org
- implementation of the ringmaster battle sequence according rules found on ipdb.org
- extension of the Boom Balloon sequence timer when the ball is immobilized
- some gameplay changes if "MOD" is enabled

Graphics :
- added ornamental holes (more aesthetic than raw playfield texture)
- improved playfield texture
- improved light textures
- improved glass surfaces texture
- improved ringmaster textures
- removed existing dmd huds and created an optional dmd hud that clones the dmd playfield
- added a settings menu when launching the table (displayed on the DMD playfield)
- creation of a ball which have same color of the destroyed ball if a ball must be recreated during the neon multiball sequence
- reaction of the caged ball when some events occur (explosion sound)
- 8 custom viewing angles (Shift+F1 to Shift+F8)
- apron modification to improve visibility of the playfield lower part in custom view
- magnet activation for a short period when the ball hits the targets w and o
- improved animation of the ringmaster toy when going up or down (lateral jerks in addition to vertical movement)
- improved animation of the ringmaster toy when hited by the ball (movements proportional to speed)
- alternative textures and additional animation for the ringmaster toy if "MOD" is activated
- added a 4th colorset for the DMD playfield
- added a glass in front of the DMD playfield (with slight reflections)
- display of a gauge on the DMD for countdowns
- creation of an animated ending sequence for Multiball, Sideshow, BoomBalloon and SPIN sequences, displayed if "MOD" is activated
- creation of an animated sequence to display game progress (check cirqus/circus complete) after each marvel
- rewrite of the Match sequence (matching with the animation on the DMD)

Lighting :
- added bulbs to control the halo glow effects (not ordered)
- added bulbs to flash slingshots
- adjustments of brightness and color of the bulbs and lights according the playfield lighting
- added a light in the 3 magnets (including the ringmaster top magnet)
- management of 2 lighting profiles (with modification of the table textures colors in script for a better rendering)
- creation of 4 playfield textures including modified shadow maps : 2 lighting levels x 2 boom balloon states
- added 6 spotlight flashers to enhance contrast of strongly lit areas and generate shading and reflections on the ball
- added a spotlight flasher in the boom balloon
- added spotlight flashers which flash when a magnet catches a ball
- adjustment of the ball lighting settings
- added a static shadow under the balls (can be disabled because poorly managed behind semi-transparent surfaces)

Music & sounds :
- improved musical transitions (fade in/fade out)
- voices management : management of a dedicated music channel for each voice to prevent 2 sounds from overlapping for the same voice
- added mechanical sound effects : launch, roll, falls, blows, targets, triggers, spinners
- improved sound effects for slingshots and bumpers
- integration of the original sounds and voices of Cirqus Voltaire (partially not accurate)
- synchronization of sounds with game events and DMD animations
- creation of additional sound effects
- creation of alternative music, sounds and sound effects if "MOD" is activated
- balancing the volume of music and sounds

Wow! You have done a lot! Can't wait to try it out.

[off topic]

I just did a try of the Upscayl software (open source), to see if I could significantly improve the quality of a texture.

And the result is more than excellent :

test_upscayl.jpg
To get the bottom picture, I selected the "digital art" type and checked "double upscayl".
I then downscaled the image produced by Upscayl to bring it back to the original resolution 1024 x 1024.
I didn't do any denoising or any other processing.

I think I will rework some textures with this software, now !

That result is actually remarkably surprising. I wouldn't have expected that with a couple of mouse clicks.

I am not sure why the black and green squiggly thing appears on the right side of the upper image (above the "ai") and on the left side of the bottom (above the "rq") but the results are amazing.

I had been using https://bigjpg.com/ to upscale images but the Upscayl software appears it may work better. I will have to try it.

I am not sure why the black and green squiggly thing appears on the right side of the upper image (above the "ai") and on the left side of the bottom (above the "rq") but the results are amazing.

It's a graphic detail that seems intentional :

flipper-circus-voltaire.jpg

Left/right side of the table cabinet?

I had been using https://bigjpg.com/ to upscale images but the Upscayl software appears it may work better. I will have to try it.

On v2.0a, is there a way to make the centre dmd (near ramp) brighter?

I just started playing the .vpx versions too. Great work by all.

Thanks

I just started playing the .vpx versions too. Great work by all.

Thanks

I'm working on a v3 with an improved playfield DMD. I posted a screenshot above and some videos of the animations on the dmd a few months ago.

Kudos on all the progress that was made. I know it was a huge undertaking because I worked on it previously.
Any idea when 3.0V will be released? Thanks to LtJazz for his dedication!!

Not very much. You can make the matrix color lighter which would make it a little brighter but it would also change the color.

[off topic]

I just did a try of the Upscayl software (open source), to see if I could significantly improve the quality of a texture.

And the result is more than excellent :

To get the bottom picture, I selected the "digital art" type and checked "double upscayl".
I then downscaled the image produced by Upscayl to bring it back to the original resolution 1024 x 1024.
I didn't do any denoising or any other processing.

I think I will rework some textures with this software, now !

I used Upscayl following the process you describe to upsize a 1024x2048 texture to a 2048x4096. I copied a small portion of the texture and pasted it below. The texture on the left is the original. The center texture was upsized to 2048x4096 by the web site https://bigjpg.com/. The texture on the right was created by the Upscayl program. The Upscayl file before down sizing was over 100 mb and about 16,000x32,000 in size. I have several image editing programs but only Paint.net would open it so I could downsize it to 2048x4096.

Original___________________ https://bigjpg.com/ _______Upscayl
1669785688900.png1669785393253.png1669785498919.png

Kudos on all the progress that was made. I know it was a huge undertaking because I worked on it previously.
Any idea when 3.0V will be released? Thanks to LtJazz for his dedication!!

I hope to finish v3 by the end of the year... if the physics implementation don't bother me too much :doh1

I used Upscayl following the process you describe to upsize a 1024x2048 texture to a 2048x4096. I copied a small portion of the texture and pasted it below. The texture on the left is the original. The center texture was upsized to 2048x4096 by the web site https://bigjpg.com/. The texture on the right was created by the Upscayl program. The Upscayl file before down sizing was over 100 mb and about 16,000x32,000 in size. I have several image editing programs but only Paint.net would open it so I could downsize it to 2048x4096.

The ability of this algorithm (AI-based) to retain detail is impressive. And it's free !

In my experience, depending on the texture, you have to try the photo preset and the digital art preset and then select the best result.

After treatment, a downscale is necessary. Otherwise the textures become too heavy for FP. But even after a downscale, the texture is much improved in most cases.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back