Stern WIP Recreation BAM FP Pirates of the Caribbean Stern 2.0

Future Pinball

Runner

User
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Attack from Mars
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I've been working steadily on upgrading the old Stern POTC for about 3 weeks now. This table was in desperate need of some love since the last release was back in 2014. And I'm having a blast upgrading it and then testing it.

Once I'm done, GeorgeH offered to have a go at it and see what else we could do.

Here what I've done so far if you are curious:

' added embedded physics
' added dynamic flippers
' added custom light preset
' added shadowmaps
' added missing peg in parlay surface
' changed the attraction music
' added randomized voice overs during attraction
' added second green light for ghost ship *****(must check why light effect is passing through MiniSpotLamp, and the other one is not doing this)*****
' added lane guides & gate on parlay playfield *****must change trigger from surface to gate wire******
' lowered bonus treasure target surface and screws since ball would stay stuck there, modified surface 10 and 39 which where too close to ramp, changed ramp angles
' added Bulbs below surfaces (rendered) and on top (unrendered) on both sides of flippers
' added missing gate and bracket on right lane beside treasure chest *****will need to change trigger to this
' added flasher on backwall where light was missing with scripted blinker effects for compass target hits
' added a green bulb to the left mid lane to mirror the right one
' changed green color bulbs to a more creepy aqua
' added more random voice overs for attract mode
' added purple black lights under left ramp and under the nearby surfaces that should be there judging by actual playfield surface
' added a missing light beside chest and scripting
' fixed placement of red lights on back wall
' changed top right flasher color to purple black light color
' added stickers to the yellow targets in the compass disk area
' added stickers to the yellow wide targets in the mid left and right lane areas
' added scripting to have flasher1 blink when bumpers are hit
' updated Jack the Monkey sign texture
' updated compass ramp stone pathway texture
' updated Tortuga and Port Royal sign textures
' updated Sword Fight sign texture
' moved Sword Fight surface
' updated Parlay surface texture
' modified parlay surface
' updated compassdisk texture
' updated the compassdisk wall texture
' updated bumpercap gold coin textures
' updated coin 1 to 8 textures
' added Dead Man's Chest transparent surface in front of chest (moved from playfield)
' split surface 25 in two in order to have the Dead Man's chest transparent plastic window
' fixed cannon ramp that was causing friction in the launch, the ramp was lower than that play surface
' TABLE LIGHTS modifications: replaced cookie cut from global texture with recessed light models and bump textures
' TABLE LIGHTS modifications: removed lights 44, 45, 46 & 47 on sword fight light table and replaced with 1 recessed light instead & updated script which will light up on any bumper hit
' TABLE LIGHTS modifications: added GI illumination effects on playfield recessed lights *****need to look into adding GI illumination to Bulbs*****
' added decals with transparency over table lights using overlay
' moved ramp away from v-turn loop and increased start height from 40 to 45 since ball would often not enter ramp *******still happening, GeorgeH thinks it is related to the physics*******
' linked bulbs 61 and 73, and Flasher1 with each respective bumper hit like original table
' added a drain flasher light that is always ON for ambient effect
' removed PFDARK, PFSHIP & PFHEART surfaces and deactivated the scripts
' lowered slingshot strength and changed rubber elasticity to Intermediate
' removed a rubber on a peg at the right entry of the lane going to the NorthCrewKicker
' changed curve of the wall for the lane going to the NorthCrewKicker
' changed surface 20 to collidable since ball could go through it and then get stuck behind the walls
' fixed wall guide after chest and moved location of chestpopup 1
' removed chestpopup 2 & 3 from playfield and script, ball should now come back in right lane after release
' modified parlay 2 right lanes by adding a spacer surface and removed rubbers
' moved left rubbers and posts on parlay surface
' changed angle of top kicker ramp so it points east like real table
' reduced launch ramp width since ball would hit the left side wall beyond one way gate and lose a lot of inertia

Updates as of August 11th 2022:

' added the left flasher light for compass targets
' added ambient light in compass area
' replaced playfield texture image from the one in VPX's POTC table
' rebuilt playfield ******ongoing******
' added Fight Davey Jones light *****must add to table lights, and scripting
' when draining last ball during DJ fight, revert back to Terpsichore ship fight
' added second heart bulb (Bulb5) and edited script to simulate both sides of the heart beating
' added glow to H-E-A-R-T heart letters and scripting edits
' added H-E-A-R-T step from the original 5, getting the T would start the multi-ball when it should happen when hitting the chest after that
' chest popup will now block the ball for a small time same as for key hits like original table
' updated the chest heart texture
' added bump maps to textures ******ongoing******
' removed FlipCatchL and FlipCatchR and scripting. This was preventing ball bounce on top edges of flippers
' rebuilt light attraction mode
' changed back wall bulbs for flasher bulbs
' created new back wall texture

Issues:
' ****dmd Kraken Health does not go down as it is hit (it does work for Davey Jones, and the Kraken's health does reach 0 when defeated)
' ****green ship lights were flashing in a stuck state after a karken multiball, look into that
' ****after beating the Terpsichore ship, the ship toy stays to side and comes up only when the Fight Davy Jones starts
' ****the ship toy doesn't move up and down when fighting Davy Jones
' ****the ball goes through the ship toy after the first ship has been sunk and doesn't go through the kraken when it's up

Runner/Bazwelle

Last edited:
I have a question for those that build tables in Future Pinball. Found a real playfield scan and I can see that the dimensions of the table in future pinball are much shorter in length. Should I rebuild the table using the real world dimensions, or is there a reason why most tables I've checked in FP have that shorter length than the real world ones, and Visual Pinball.

Would it be a faux pas to change the dimensions since most FP tables are using a shorter length?

I have a question for those that build tables in Future Pinball. Found a real playfield scan and I can see that the dimensions of the table in future pinball are much shorter in length. Should I rebuild the table using the real world dimensions, or is there a reason why most tables I've checked in FP have that shorter length than the real world ones, and Visual Pinball.

Would it be a faux pas to change the dimensions since most FP tables are using a shorter length?

Before you decide to move everything, I would make sure the scan is right. It might seem that a scan can't lie, but it can in photo-optic ways I don't understand. I looked at the photos on the Internet Pinball Database and the FP version doesn't seem like it is terrible but my eye may not be right either. Try finding other photos and see for yourself.

You need to be aware that table authors usually try to stick to power of 2 textures. The playfield on this one is 1024x2048 but it looks like it gets stretched wider when the table loads. This is done intentionally because power of 2 textures load faster.

That said, I prefer playfield textures to be 2048x4096. The one on this table has burned in shadows that I am not fond of but the BAM lighting options that are available now weren't around then so this is the best they could do back then. It is a good idea to make your working copy larger than 2048x4096. You can always make the final product smaller but can't increase resolution by enlarging a texture. Some of the guys have high res monitors in their cabinets now and like to have the resolution even higher than 2048x4096. I usually post the table with 2048x4096 but include the highest res version I have in the download so the end user can use it if they wish.

It is quite a bit of work to replace the playfield texture. I added a new playfield texture on Phantom of the Opera and on Monster Bash. It was a struggle. I added blank areas on the sides, bottom and top to the new texture until it matched the table objects pretty well. I sometimes squeezed and stretched it a bit too. But the textures still didn't match the table objects perfectly so I had to move the objects a bit but not usually too much.

Last edited:
Hi George, thanks for the post.

Here is a comparison of the Future Pinball layout (black lines) and the playfield image that was used in the Visual Pinball table which is an upgrade from the current FP playfield.

All of the textures that I have upgraded are power of 2, and this one would be as well. The resolution of the playfield will be 2048x4096, however the playfield image I found is not. The dimensions of the playfield image from the VP playfield looks like the real thing. The circles are round, and not oval, and the playfield image edges on the bottom and left/right sides are straight in the x and y axis. The top edge however is not quite straight but I believe is close enough to be used as a reference.

However, because the playfield image is narrower, when I would stretch it horizontally to match the FP layout, all the circles would be stretched in the Y axis. This would mean that if I keep that new playfield stretched, I would have to redo all of the sections that have circles otherwise it'll look stretched out. I work with photoshop so not a big deal in that software and I've already created decals like Terry did with his Sonic table for the table lights. So I guess it would be fine in the end.

Since I'm rebuilding the table and the textures, I'm trying to figure out the best course of action. Might as well do it right the first time.

So my two options I'm thinking at this point are:
  1. Option 1
    1. keep the FP table dimensions
    2. stretch the Y axis of the playfield image in photoshop using 2048x4096 resolution
    3. move and correct all items to the playfield image location (less work than option 2)
    4. correct the stretching oval effect on the playfield image in photoshop
  2. Option 2
    1. change the FP table dimensions to narrower values while still using 2048x4096 resolution (the attached picture shows how narrower it would be now)
    2. move and correct all items to the playfield image location (a lot of work compared to option 1)

POTC - potc pf example.png

I have had the same problem with replacing the playfield texture on the tables I have worked on. The first thing I would try is to crop off part of the sides of the new texture and add some to the bottom. The top looks about right so I would leave it unchanged. Hopefully, the circles will still be fairly round when you are done. I don't think they will change much. I guess that is pretty much option 1. The real table seems fairly wide to me so I would try to avoid option 2. On the round object in the upper left corner, you will probably need to make the texture larger.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lights. They can be moved without affecting the game play. I would focus on making the texture fit the major components.

I'm probably missing something as I never had to deal with this but why not simply change the tables width and length to match the new texture?

I'm probably missing something as I never had to deal with this but why not simply change the tables width and length to match the new texture?

My thinking is that it won't play the same or the way it plays is unknown. ...But you would also have to move every object on the table.

George is right AnonTet, I tried to change the width and length in the table but that only changed the playfield, everything else, including the cabinet stayed put so that would look like a complete rebuild.

And George brings up a good point in terms of the unknown physics with the new dimensions. I'll try to see what I can do with that texture and the current dimensions in FP. Maybe I'll keep the full rebuild test after 2.0's release, if I still have an interest at that point in making 3.0. :)

But in reality there are different table sizes so I though, maybe in reality the table could be bigger, that's all. Although probably not as in 99% of the cases :)

Physics are not a concern, really.

In any case I trust you to find the best possible solution.

Just want to give a sign of life. I had an issue with my SSD and it finally failed. My files are backed up on the cloud so I didn't lose anything fortunately.

I've replaced it and I'm now up and running again and I'm continuing my work on the POTC table again.

For the playfield surface, I did what George suggested and it's not that stretched while playing, in fact, you can't really see it so all good. (you can see it in the screenshot below and yes my decals are off right now since I moved the lights).

I do have one issue I would need help with. If you look at the green light to the left, the glow is showing through the surface and target, but it's not happening with the one on the right. I've created shadowmaps for both. And the light on the left is a copy of the one on the right. This is also happening to other lights I've added. Any idea why?
Pirates Of the Caribbean GOLD 1.194.png

Try right clicking on the object and selecting "send to front" or "send to back". These 2 options will alter whether the light shines through an object.

Really!? I had no idea what those were for...I thought it was to move up or down a layer. Thanks again George, that did it! Now will do it for other lights I added.

Here is a brief video preview of what I've done so far to visually upgrade the table. The chest, ramp and the large playfield light are meant to be at those locations for now as I am testing scripting changes and also trying to improve ball behavior.

Still more to do!

EDIT: Having seen the quality of the video, I will need to re-record it in 4k this time. I did the recording on my laptop and thought it was fine but it clearly isn't.

Last edited:
Pretty cool!

You might add color DMDs. The table has enough animated DMD content that I think it would look cool. Try my version of Doctor Who to see an example.

It is not too difficult. You just add color dots to the 464.bmp file like in the ZIP file on Doctor Who. You also have to set the DMD color to white. I just add the white color to the script using this code:

MyDMDExt.SetMatrixColor 255, 255, 255

but you can also just use the color in the FP editor. The DMD fonts don't need to be changed. It is just a matter of finding colors that match the table. I set the first dot in the 464.bmp to be near black and set it to the same RGB as the background color, as defined by

xBAM.SetDefaultMatrixBaseColor 2, 9, 9

It makes the unlit pixels be the same color as the background (area around the pixels). I think it looks better that way. Then you just change the other dots to be the colors you want to try. You might start out with the ZIP I added to Doctor Who but you will want to find colors that match the rest of the table and swap the dots around.

Thanks George! I do plan on working on the DMD before the end, and add animations and fix some animations (kraken health doesn't go down as it gets hit as an example) but I think I will need to read a tutorial on how they work first. I'll keep a note of what you posted.

I play this table a lot in vpx (mostly because the youngest loves it) and I can actually loop the table in there ("ends" after for winds multiball). So I have high hopes for this as I think it was really lacking an update.

This with the FizX update will be awesome.

Some nice upgrades/updates! As per your query concerning the colour of the 'Pirate' stand up targets - this could depend on how authentic (original) you would like the table to be?

I vote for authenticity... :D

I think the cannon looks like plastic because it is too shiny. You can control the shininess with this code in the script along with some other things. Just enter the name of your texture at !texture. If you have a bump map, just list the color map name. I never change specularBalance or normalMapScale but specularLevel will make the texture lighter or darker.

'[BAM] !texture = zallplastics2
'[BAM] !shininess = 0.1
'[BAM] !specularLevel = 1.15
'[BAM] !specularBalance = 0.01
'[BAM] !normalMapScale = 1.0

If you can't find higher resolution textures, you can use this site that can enlarge images that has an algorithm which reduces artifacts but it is not as good as true high res images but it is definitely better than enlarging on a standard image editor:

I use these sites for instruction cards if you want to find new ones:

I play this table a lot in vpx (mostly because the youngest loves it) and I can actually loop the table in there ("ends" after for winds multiball). So I have high hopes for this as I think it was really lacking an update.

This with the FizX update will be awesome.
I love the VPX table and will likely give it a go to try to update it as well since it's also a bit behind from newer releases.

I would love to make this table as close to the original events, would this be identified somewhere? Though that may be for version 3.0, we shall see!

Some nice upgrades/updates! As per your query concerning the colour of the 'Pirate' stand up targets - this could depend on how authentic (original) you would like the table to be?

I vote for authenticity... :D

I don't want to change the table too much, what do you think about the other targets I've added stickers to? Remove?

And the Tortuga/Port Royal sign? Do you prefer the striking orange and yellow signs of the original real world table?

I like authenticity, but sometimes I think a little improvement can be good. I also don't want to replicate 100% of the table as it is in VPX, cause then I would just play the VPX version in my opinion. The nice part about FP, is that we can add different music and sounds to upgrade the table.

That being said, I've been wondering also if I would bring back the red crystal tops on the 3 bumpers instead of having the coins there.

Last edited:
I think the cannon looks like plastic because it is too shiny. You can control the shininess with this code in the script along with some other things. Just enter the name of your texture at !texture. If you have a bump map, just list the color map name. I never change specularBalance or normalMapScale but specularLevel will make the texture lighter or darker.

'[BAM] !texture = zallplastics2
'[BAM] !shininess = 0.1
'[BAM] !specularLevel = 1.15
'[BAM] !specularBalance = 0.01
'[BAM] !normalMapScale = 1.0

If you can't find higher resolution textures, you can use this site that can enlarge images that has an algorithm which reduces artifacts but it is not as good as true high res images but it is definitely better than enlarging on a standard image editor:

I use these sites for instruction cards if you want to find new ones:

Thanks George, I'll try to reduce the shiny effect with what you provided.

In the real world modding exists (for whatever reason) so why not in virtual world where it is cheaper? :D

Keep in mind that I used small letters and a smile as it was a comment in jest mostly :) I like what I've seen in your video so please continue with your work.

On the topic of authenticity in a more serious way, it is just that I feel the original stuff is getting lost and we should also strive to preserve the original tables as they were created even if they aren't that great. I'm talking about visuals only though. game play is so subjective it is anyone's guess and virtual will never be able to be as real as the real thing anyway.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back