HP Printer: 3rd-party Inks Self-destruct---

looks like mister gecko taught them well!

672d101d0a0def9ca3c2b34ec5babc4d.jpg

actually it was probably more like carly fiorina.

from what i've read, HP's core business model and practices changed a lot (as in, for the worse) when crazy carly became president. this is like a signature move for her, this and overcharging so drastically for ink in the first place.

EDIT: hacks / workarounds will surely be coming out for this, so at least there's that.

I once had a ink cartridge re-filled at a walgreens. I got it home, installed it, and the printer showed an error code that i couldn't reset. I ended up throwing out the printer. So i had to get a new printer with new expensive ink.

I give up; I Yahoo'ed Mister Gecko (Firefox no longer uses Google) but didn't perceive any result's having to do with overpriced printer ink.

A friend had a printer whose ink/s had 'expired' even though there was more than half remaining, and rather than pay ridiculous money for new ink, he sent his out and had them refilled. The printer never worked again, and a few months later (July 2009) he bought a new computer and gave me his Dell Inspiron 1100---AND the inoperative printer (which I kept for a while but ultimately threw out). In September I signed up for AT&T DSL, and the night before it was to start, the Inspiron died. I accessed the web on machines at the public library until early December, until that same friend's ex-girlfriend's son hit him up for a new comp and returned the one given him the previous year---which was promptly given to me, and is the one on which I now write this glorious tale. Of course, it's due for a major upgrade any decade, now.....

Anyway, the friend has bought printers since, and the price of new ones is lower than the cost of new ink/s. I wonder how many otherwise unneeded printers have been sold through that scam.

oh, well there's a fairly iconic figure in modern cinema whose catchphrase is "greed is good." the character is gordan gekko (fixed sp) from oliver stone's 1987 film "wall street" and a sequel from a couple years go.

Gordon_Gekko.jpg

anyway, i don't have much to add about the printing situation, other than ZOIKS!

Off brand ink cartridges slowed my HP 4 in 1 printer way down and may have caused lasting damage. Returning to HP inks restored the speed but I get faded color horizontal lines in photo prints and copies. I'm Pissed ! This machine was like $400. It HAS lasted 11 years but it seems I am stuck with this defect. One of my kids has a very nice HP(document feeder, Etc.) wireless 4n1 printer on his network. It uses even more ink cartridges(2 in mine) . He is always printing stuff over here at my house as his machine freezes at expiration date on his even more expensive ink cartridges.

Last edited:
i replied this a couple hours ago, but maybe forgot to hit the post button. reconstruction attempt:

"gekko" is a famous character from wall street (1987) who said that greed is good.

i haven't bought a printer in many an epoch, but toner has been the way to go for centuries. WTF are you guys messing around with proprietary ink there for, maties...?

When one is shellshocked by the ink prices, he will try anything to derive full value from the old stuff (that's why I drive a 50-year-old car I've had since Nov. '78 ). However, if I poke my memory hard enough, the aforementioned printer was a big, heavy Brother(s?) unit, but the friend has since graced me with an HP Officejet J4860c All-in-One with a fouled-up roller or something saying "If you can fix it, you can have it". Well, my post-music forte is CAR mechanics, not office machines with miniaturized electronics, so there it sits under a layer of dust, and the ink has probably expired, anyway.

GSG

Last edited:
i replied this a couple hours ago, but maybe forgot to hit the post button. reconstruction attempt:

"gekko" is a famous character from wall street (1987) who said that greed is good.

i haven't bought a printer in many an epoch, but toner has been the way to go for centuries. WTF are you guys messing around with proprietary ink there for, maties...?
I thought toner was just Selenium and shades of black. Maybe it can produce color photos. My buddy works on copiers. He comes home stained black almost every day. The electro statically charged Selenium goes airborne. I am a big fan of Selenium. I heard about Selenium health benefits in my teens. They said it fights cancer. I have taken it every day for 42 years. I haven't turned black yet ...

I thought toner was just Selenium and shades of black. Maybe it can produce color photos. My buddy works on copiers. He comes home stained black almost every day. The electro statically charged Selenium goes airborne. I am a big fan of Selenium. I heard about Selenium health benefits in my teens. They said it fights cancer. I have taken it every day for 42 years. I haven't turned black yet ...
well, the blackness starts in your soul and takes a considerable while to reach your skin. i'd be careful if i were you. :p

seriously, dunno about the selenium aspect, but IIRC toner is a mix of plastic, carbon and something else.

color laserjets use CMYK to produce color and it seems they came way down in price at some point in order to adopt the same strategy as the inket scheme. therefore, looks like i'm full of it in terms of toner being cheaper. also, i'm reading that inkjets produce better quality images than laserjets... hmm.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Damonogy48 is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back