R.I.P. Dear Sleepy

In the aether may we meet again.

It looks like I've been at the end of my allotted rope, searching for any remaining Arne compositions or selections, for some time. VPF's Search used to allow one to pick start- and end-dates with which to sift through a high-volume member's topics and replies; I haven't been able to find a similar feature here at PN, but now it seems that it's been discontinued 'over there' as well.

I never intended leaving the search incomplete, but a few things have gotten in the way. Regards to Kathy, Rex and family, and I hope life has leveled out for you.

Gregg

It seems many early posts PN posts can only be found in the aether. Over 3500 of Sleepy's older posts did not survive the conversion to 'Pinball Nirvana 2.0'. Nobody's history shows more than 500 old posts. I just realized it gets weirder because that number has remained constant since we almost lost Pinball Nirvana some time back. I guess that means 500 is a limit and our oldest offerings are deleted every time we submit something new?

Regards to the family. I am sorry for your loss.

Thanks for your efforts in searching for Arne's posts, Gregg! It means a lot to me that you took on this monumental job, and that you are still thinking of sleepy from time to time. I have managed to find a few posts that were extra special to me, and I've saved them to a word document, so I can pull them out when I feel a need to reminisce. Things have definitely leveled out for us. 2017 has been a much better year. From your other post, it sounds like you have had a lot of frustration lately. Hope everything gets resolved as quickly and cheaply as possible!

It looks like I've been at the end of my allotted rope, searching for any remaining Arne compositions or selections, for some time. VPF's Search used to allow one to pick start- and end-dates with which to sift through a high-volume member's topics and replies; I haven't been able to find a similar feature here at PN, but now it seems that it's been discontinued 'over there' as well.

I never intended leaving the search incomplete, but a few things have gotten in the way. Regards to Kathy, Rex and family, and I hope life has leveled out for you.

Gregg
Hello Gregg, It is possible to set dates on an advanced search here:
http://www.pinballnirvana.com/forums/search.php
More important info is contained in my next reply to Coil Smoke..

It seems many early posts PN posts can only be found in the aether. Over 3500 of Sleepy's older posts did not survive the conversion to 'Pinball Nirvana 2.0'. Nobody's history shows more than 500 old posts. I just realized it gets weirder because that number has remained constant since we almost lost Pinball Nirvana some time back. I guess that means 500 is a limit and our oldest offerings are deleted every time we submit something new?

Just wanted to clarify, great efforts were made during Pinball Nirvana's 2 major conversions, one was from phpbb to vb a long time ago and nothing was lost, the other was in January 2016 when vb was updated to work with a forced php upgrade and about 2 days of posts didn't make it but they were copied over (under my username) and were around 2 dozen posts.

Posts aren't deleted, I found the problem in the forums search options, it was set to VB's default value to limit search display results to 500. The posts are there but weren't displaying with a search after 500 results were reached. I've changed the display value to 25,000 so we smashed that roadblock!
:banghead:

Jon;

Twenty-five Kay sounds like REALLY good news! How does one click multiple 'Thanks'es?

:cheers: :cheers:

Close enough.....

Edit: "Search by User Name', and there they are; all 4095 of 'em. Now, why did I lose track of that? Bottoms up anyway, Jon!

2nd Edit: Oops - may have spoken too soon; after completing page 1 (first 100 posts), I clicked on page 2 and got, "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." Same thing on any other page but the first; is there still something I'm missing?

Last edited:
Well, I give up - my 2nd edit in the previous post was brought about by the one combination of Search button / parameter choices that doesn't work; I decided to list them all and am now a deer in headlights from staring at them. Suffice it to say that except for when I somehow invoke Murphy's Law, I do have access to sleepy's 4,095 (or 4,097?) posts again.

Now, time for dinner.....

Today concludes two years that were much emptier than they should have been. Most of my last year was spent trying to figure what was wrong with my computer, as the symptoms increased gradually and left multiple possibilities, taxing even the brains and patience of very helpful geeks at a few sites. The final verdict: Motherboard.

Along the way, I broke down and bought a refurbished Hewlitt-Packard Compac Elite 8000 small-form-factor desktop computer running Windows 7 ---No more XP! Although I'm slow in getting acclimated to the differences from an otherwise similar system, I have again spent some time searching Arne's/sleepy's post content in search of what I might refer to as, 'sleepy's greatest hits'. Not the quick-scanning I did when seeking tunes, but a somewhat more thorough read-through of topics to which he was replying or giving life. One thread I stumbled into is Shopping at the Supermarket, which garnered 48 replies and was a pretty interesting discussion. The 'greatest hit': his post #26.....

icon1.gif

7-17-2009, 10;22PM
<hr style="color:#D1D1E1; background-color:#D1D1E1" size="1">I've got a heirloom picture of my late step-grandfather up to his elbows making fresh-ground sausage from a table-full of ground pork straight from the slaughterhouse with a demonic grin on his face, but I don't want to go there right now.

:D Why the demonic attribute to the grin? or, why not go there.....

GS

Hi GS ... I hope I find you well.

Hardly seems 2-years since Sleepy's passing :( time flies too quickly.

It's been a while since I've frequented this forum ... my days of pinball have taken more than just a back seat these days.

111.jpg

Hi Gregg and Elton! Yes, it's hard to believe it's been two years since Sleepy's passing. I was drawn back to this site today. Nice to see you still think of Sleepy and are remembering him on this day. As far as the demonic picture of our step-grandfather goes, I found the picture Sleepy was referring to. Gross? Yes! Demonic? I don't think so, but I'll leave that for you to decide. :) Sleepy was a vegetarian for a while, so his reference could have been as innocuous as that, but you never knew with Sleepy. :)

I was listening to Warren Zevon's "Keep Me in Your Heart for a While" today. This song came on the radio as I was driving home from the hospital the night that Sleepy died. The words could not have been more meaningful at the time. I later found out that Zevon wrote this song a few weeks before he died of a form of lung cancer as a farewell to his family and friends. I'll leave you all decide if there is a cosmic meaning to this occurrence. I will say if Sleepy were to send a message from the other side, it would most definitely be by way of music. ;)

Warren Zevon - Keep Me In Your Heart - YouTube

Hey there, sister, is there also a pic of Sleepy himself you might share?

I remember one he posted a few years ago... it was a recent pic, but had a sort of 'brat pack' vibe. He was blowing smoke at the camera, cool as could be. :)

Ike-

I'll have to go through my photos. There aren't many of Arne from the last few decades. He didn't like to have his picture taken. I think it was because he was born with a cleft palate and lip, so he was very self conscious. The years he endured of bullying didn't help his insecurities.

Yeap, understood. He mentioned that a few times across the years and I can well understand. I have some similar issues.

Anyway, I started to do a search just now, but realised that we might be out of luck on this one. A few years ago I recall a series of posts in which Sleepy, Steve, Gregg and myself shared recent pics of ourselves. But with the attachment system having been reset when the site almost went down a year or two ago, I'm not sure how many of those survived.

Not to mention, I'm unaware how to search on attachments and/or specify a certain group of people in a thread.

If I figure it out some time and the pic's still there, I'll be sure to link it. It was a cool pic!

Photo hunters;

Go to Ike's thread, "This whole mess is perhaps my fault". Coil Smoke reposted Arne's selfie in post #1, and I stuck my own in #2. Can't remember where Ike and the abandoned car are, though (something about a vacation...), and I don't recall pics of anyone else. (Oh, yeah---didn't StevOz put up some of him on his golf course?)

G

Last edited:
Oh yeah, missed those before. Thanks GS .... incidentally, your picture is exactly as I'd reckon you'd look like :)

Nice find, Gregg! And wow, crazy thread. Seems like a million years ago.

I was actually thinking of a different pic of Sleepy and a different thread. Steve in particular posted a selfie holding the camera above his head for some reason. (maybe it's on Oz thing) In that same thread I posted a pic in my bathroom... not the older pic from back in Peru next to the dead hulk of a car. If possible I think you had posted a different pic of yourself.

But, I might be blending some different threads in my mind. Hum...

Nope - that selfie is the first known pic of me in, maybe, thirty-five years (except for family taking holiday shots of me stuffing my face...)

However, it's been a while since my fairly recently acquired digicam was used for anything, so maybe I'll concoct something...

Yeah, go for it GS :)

Happy Birthday, Sleepy

Remembering our fallen pal on what would have been his 65th birthday...and this song popped out of my head; I don't think I saw it on a playlist, but Arne could well have had it somewhere, as much as he liked the Beach Boys.

Pretty tune, trademark harmonies, and lyrics that spelled out a relationship that would never end --- but suddenly did. A scenario that Arne mentioned more than once, and was experienced by most, if not all, of us.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...108984cd088c760e451ef454a17534e2&action=click

And some insight into the composition of the song, provided by lead singer Mike Love;

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-love/jfk-warmth-of-the-sun_b_4318208.html

and we're still waiting for a photo ;) :D

Thanks for remembering Sleepy/Arne on his birthday, Gregg! "The Warmth of the Sun" is the perfect tribute, and it fits the melancholy mood that I've been feeling the last couple of days. The story that you shared about the creation of the song was very interesting. Any of us old enough to remember the day that JFK was assassinated still remember where we were and how we felt when we heard the news. This song will definitely trigger those memories now.
I check into this site periodically, but I especially seem to be drawn back on the anniversaries of Sleepy's birth and death. It’s nice to see you still think of him. Arne was alone most of his adult life. Being born with a cleft palate, and as a result his difficulty in pronouncing certain words, made him very self-conscious. When he found this website, where he could discuss his love of pinball with others with similar interests, it was wonderful for him. He considered you all good friends. I know that sometimes he would veer off the topics on tangents, but seeing some of the threads that he participated in, it seems that you all had some interesting and varied conversations. I appreciate you all for accepting Arne’s idiosyncrasies.
On behalf of Sleep, “Thanks for the friendship.”

Lynn, Lisa, and Sean McMunn with Andrew Price  1987 age 1.jpgElton, Here is a long promised photo. This picture was taken around 1990. As I mentioned to Ike in an earlier post, Arne didn't like to have his picture taken.

Thank you Sleep's Sister. Not how I imagined him to look like at all! But thank you.

My prior request for a photo was aimed at GSGregg who is equally as elusive as Arne was if not more!

Come on GSGregg share a photo with us. Please. :)

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: JonPurpleHaze has posted a new reply in the thread "What music are you listening to?".
      Back