R.I.P. Dear Sleepy

Elton;

I'm still trying to determine which is my good side. Plus, the hat I wore in my selfie deteriorated and was discarded (who knew a few months' perspiration would rot cotton?!)

Gregg

Wow, cool pic of Arne! Good-looking fellow in fact, and that hair is awesome!

@Elton,
AFAIK Gregg's selfie is linked or attached somewhere here from maybe around three years ago. You can always try searching for it. It's basically a guy in a (panama?) hat, sporting a short white beard IIRC. Maybe just squint your eyes and you'll see it. :)

Hey, are you still checking up on this thread, SleepySister? Kathy...?

Yo Kathy, I just wanted to point out-- holy Mother of Mercury, that's a pretty magnificent bouffant going on there...! :s

Everyone in my family is blessed/cursed (depending on your perspective) with luxuriously thick, curly hair that has a mind of its own.

After five months and ten days, here's another "Yo, Kathy": Have you had your fill of rain yet? Let's see...flooding on Mothers' Day (although it seemed to end before I could think of any wise*** stuff to say about it), and more flooding anticipated, at least, to proclaim the arrival of a storm named after our former President's first. Has to be a vast right-wing conspiracy; especially the part about flesh-eating bacteria being set loose in the waters. I'm no expert, but I think I'd hate to go for a swim only to see one of my appendages turn black and shrivel...

All seriousness aside, though; I hope you and yours are well, and keeping irritations high and dry.

Edit: almost forgot; keep the kayak waxed up so it cuts through the water better!

Hey, Elton!

Still no photograph, although I still look like the guy with the shower-curtain backdrop. I did stumble across one, though, of me a couple of months short of nineteen, and with all of my now absconded hair. I tried to grab it with the digicam, but there was too much glare from the glossy film and insufficient detail with the flash off... Some day, though.

Gregg

What ---nobody liked my Congressional Pay Raise post? :guitar:

Hey, Elton!

Still no photograph, although I still look like the guy with the shower-curtain backdrop. I did stumble across one, though, of me a couple of months short of nineteen, and with all of my now absconded hair. I tried to grab it with the digicam, but there was too much glare from the glossy film and insufficient detail with the flash off... Some day, though.

Gregg

What ---nobody liked my Congressional Pay Raise post? :guitar:

I would like to see what you look like now not 100 years ago .... I bet you're a bloody alien with three-heads and 6 arms which is why you're so camera shy. :)

Thanks for thinking of us Gregg! We were prepared for the worst, but ended up with only 4 inches of rain. Of course, when your city is below sea level, that could still be way too much. Our biggest concern ended up being the flight cancellations at the airport on Saturday. We were scheduled to fly out to the west coast for our son's wedding on Sunday morning. Thankfully, the flights resumed Sunday morning, and we managed to get out. Thanks for the advice! Hurricane season is just starting, so I'll be sure to keep the kayak nicely waxed!

Hey Gregg ... I thought you were living down Huntington Beach, LA not Pasadena? Did you move?

Sure you'd have found a picture or two you could share :)

Hey, Elton!

Huntington Beach is about 40 or so miles southeast of Los Angeles, and was a popular place to head to when up to no good. (Hee hee) Newport Beach is next when heading south and Balboa (the pavilion! Ever hear of the Rendezvous Ballroom where Dick Dale played (before it burned down in '66)?

Pasadena, on the other hand, is to the east of northern L.A. with Glendale in between. Don't title me a cartographer, though...I could be a little bit wrong.

As far as photos go, though, except for holiday meals, etc, I can't remember the last time anyone said, "Smile, Dammit!" with a cellphone pointed at me. If I ever get some time, I'll try for another selfie. Maybe outdoors, instead of in the loo.

G

Well, another Sept. 9th, and again we acknowledge that we can't have our pal back. My quest for Arne's Greatest Hits has really hit the Empty button, though, with my computer finally being replaced March 20, 2018 followed by my no-address Internet Provider restoration eight days later, then my stumbling through the difference between Windows XP and the 'new' Windows 7 while managing to at least play a few games of Visual Pinball.

Then came The Ides of November (Aren't elections fun!?) followed a couple of months later by some mail from charities I recognized, but hadn't enriched; charities are good for the soul, or something like that, so I wrote a small check...then a few weeks later, another...

Long story short, I must have made a careless contribution somewhere, with some unscrupled person checking out someone else's datalist and putting my info across the country (read, Washington, D.C.), and it's now a snowball that shows no signs of diminishing... with a carpet of unwanted mail covering my table/s, chairs, shelves, and floor...and me cutting off the supply of donations while I look for a way to make hundreds of anonymous entities KNOCK IT OFF!

The point is, has this robbed me of a lot of time I would have spent in Custom Search of Arne's Greatest Hits! Settling for some of Los Angeles' greatest hits, though, we have the menagerie of car dealers that sponsored four TV networks of all-night movies from the 50s to 70s...best known is Cal Worthington, whose 'dog, Spot' was actually anything but a dog, and parodied the pet of a competitor... "Hi, friends. Chick Lambert here for Ralph Williams Ford with your friend and mine, my dog, Storm." I'll bet Arne - and Kathy, too, for that matter - saw their share of 'dogs'.

If anyone is curious about who Chick Lambert is / was, just google the name and find a 1:25 YouTube video of an ad that the crew put together after everyone else went home, I think...(language alert)

Forgive my verbosity; now, back to shoveling mail...

GSG

Last edited:
Ave, Gregorius Simulacra Gracchus, Vento Forti--
not sure this has been mentioned before, but have you checked out the Bill - Arne music conversations?

These would be threads going back to maybe 2008 or so, dating as recently as... 2016? Usually a "B-A" thread was initiated by one of the two, but not always. Sometimes it was just an ordinary thread that somehow managed to innocently wander in that direction (i.e. "got ruthlessly hijacked," haha).

Bill & Arne's excellent musical adventure was typically rife with songs, song facts, personal anecdotes, and all kinds of good stuff like that. They both worked in or close to the profession as I understand it, so not a big surprise. Now one particular highlight was Sleepy's celeb-encounter stories. (seems like 'staring at Arne' was a common theme, a long story, perhaps)

If you're looking for examples, here is perhaps the VERY LAST of the B-A threads:
The Songs They Don't Play on The Radio Anymore - Pinball Nirvana Forums

On a sidenote (B-A heartily approved?), here's the amazing "songfacts" site. Like, go here and look up your favorite band or song. It's open-community, like WP:
https://www.songfacts.com/

Singing-wise, lately I've been trying to push myself publicly in to areas which are not so much in my comfort zone, such as the Stones' "Miss You," and/or Tom Petty's "Don't Do Me Like That." But "SongFacts" helps me sometimes to gather the backstory and relate to what I'm trying to sing. Sort of like having a virtual Bill & Arne to pat me on the back, whenever I need it. :)

Last edited:
Hi Gregg!

Hard to believe Arne's been gone three years. I've been listening to some of his favorite songs today from the "Songs They Don't Play on the Radio Anymore" thread. Arne introduced me to so many artists that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. He definitely had eclectic taste in music and films

Yes, I remember Cal Worthington and his "dog" Spot (Go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal), and Chick Lambert and his dog Storm. I googled that Chick Lambert commercial. Hilarious!

I've read that you can cut down on junk mail by writing "refused: return to sender" on the front of those junk mail envelopes and dropping them in the mail slot at the post office. I can't vouch as to whether this works or not since I haven't tried it, but it might be worth the effort.

Aside from the computer issues, hope everything else is going well for you.

Holy crap! That thread went all over the place, didn't it? I sure miss those music threads. I think there was a thread that was all of us talking about movies that went on for 40 or 50 pages. That was a fun one, too. Well... three years of the internet being a little less fun. He never could refuse a good Beach Boys tune.

Aw... and I guess Bill & Arne's Musical Adventures will remain underappreciated to this day.

"You can tell by the cross-thanking!"
--Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Attachments

• sean-connery-indiana-jones.jpg
    sean-connery-indiana-jones.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 152
A new year and brand new forum software, need to test the new BB codes and I thought about this forum first, miss Arne and tried to resurrect many of our Youtube embedding from VBulletin, old links still usually work, all iframe references are obsolete, some were duplicated but many were restored by simply editing and then saving without changes.

Sleepy contributed so many fine attachments and vids and I just revisited most of them when trying to restore, here are some excellent embedded threads:
Some things that Sleepy liked.
The Songs They Don't Play on The Radio Anymore
Bill blows you... THROUGH YOUR MIND!
Sleepy's Midnight Cult Films
The sad, crazy adventures of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys
So how did you like that movie / TV show / book?
Midnight Cult Movies Online

First test of a YouTube Embed on XenFora2, I must choose Aaron Neville and Dr. John, both sadly are gone now.

Some sleepy music?
https:/pinballnirvana.com/sleepy/music/

Going to try and add music attachments

:guitar:

Attachments

• 17 - Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Eric Clapton.mp3
    8.9 MB · Views: 113
  • 03 Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Warren Zevon.mp3
    7.5 MB · Views: 115
  • Bob Dylan- Knockin' on Heaven's Door Original.mp3
    2.9 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Testing some flac music..
:trippy:

Attachments

• 24 - Something.flac
    17.8 MB · Views: 122
  • 09. Such A Night - The Band.flac
    31 MB · Views: 123
  • 11 Dreadlock Holiday.flac
    27.9 MB · Views: 113
Well lets see if we can raise the dead because I don't look a thing like Jesus, out lived that prophet by at least 17 years...just thought I'd let me hair down for a bit, it's almost as hot as hell here.

Attachments

• hat.jpg
    hat.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 120
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Poor Man's Pinball Podcast has posted a new reply in the thread "Poor Man's Pinball Podcast".
      Back