Flipperless Brio Labyrinths Simple and Advanced

Gimli

Pinball Master
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Monster Bash
@Ike Savage
Got us thinking about using BAM to create some simple "Flipperless Tables". With BAM we can grab anything in a "grab box" and animate and tip and move it etc..

Wild and I are going to try "Rat Race" but for fun I thought I would demonstrate with a simple brio labyrinth. I will tweak it further and Jazz it up...but give it a try
Start table as per usual. Using the Arrow keys to tip the table and you can nudge as much as you want.:)
Simple but kinda fun

oops found an error..I just fixed it

Last edited:
Yeah, that's really sweet!

One issue I'm seeing is that when I pull back to get various overhead views, I start seeing a network of interfering black walls. (attachment)

I turned off the gameroom render as you recommended in the other thread, but not sure iif I need to specify other video settings as well. (so as to avoid those extra walls)

Attachments

• labyrinth.Interferiing lines.jpg
    labyrinth.Interferiing lines.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 99
Not sure, I will check it out.
In this table you can leave games room on if you want

The ball sounds down turn off like there are supposed to either when you drain.
The table mechanism is pretty slow too...what do you think ?

The table mechanism is pretty slow too...what do you think ?
It's kinda tricky to replicate the feel using keyboard, i.e. digital input. This kind of game is really meant for a couple potentiometers, i.e. analog inputs.

If FP can poll the X and Y from a mouse, that would be an improvement. I do recall playing some virtual maze games liike thiis that used the mouse, and it was a fun challenge.

IMO what really makes this kind of game extra fun is when the board is always on the edge of tilting precariously, and you have to make at least a few hair-raiising escapes in order to win.

Also, a couple scroll wheels from some kind of mouse or gamepad (or flight-stiick?) would be even better, but of course you can't have everything.

I updated the table a little.
improved alignment of holes
bigger box
restricted tip to 15 degrees

In terms of mouse or joystick control... that is definitely doable

I increased the sensitivity quite a bit and add a counter tip if you press "B" while you tipping the table then you will get an equal and opposite offsetting tip . I actual game I often kinda rocked the ball forward

Looks liike you deleted the original version attached to the first post. I'm thinking you'll want to attach the new version somewhere in this thread, as long as that's what this thread iis presumably for.

Also, this thread really belongs in the WIP section, not releases. Okay if I move it there?

You are right...
I was intending just to release as test table....but I keep tweaking.....and updating the posted table.
We don't usually post WIPs at Gopinball , we just explain what we are doing. but this site allows a quick posting and editing/deleting which is very cool

Yes of course move it to WIP Sorry....

Attachments

• Labyrinth.fpt
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
We don't usually post WIPs at Gopinball , we just explain what we are doing. but this site allows a quick posting and editing/deleting which is very cool

Yes of course move it to WIP Sorry....
Ah, I gotcha. Makes sense.

So, the WIP threads date all the way back to the original VPF I think, back in 2001. I think the purpose was as a way to demonstrate progress and let the member base enjoy the steps of the table build. Then the release threads were a way to say "tada, come and get it!"

AFAIK, PN and all the other forums followed suit. Even Black's FP forums did the same IIRC.

I guess it happened differently at GoPinball because that place presumably got founded from a completely different POV, by people who hadn't come along in the old VP - FP scenes.

Anyway, I'll try the table out later and put it through some different views to check for those black walls and other changes.

So should I post wip tables and leave the precursers . I dont want to clog things up

So should I post wip tables and leave the precursers . I dont want to clog things up
Aye. Space is not an issue and that's what those two subforums are for.

@Ike Savage
You are correct about that artefact when you zoom out...I haven't figured it out yet
I also can't get the extraneous ball sounds to stop yet :)

Last edited:
Ah...you have to turn off "Playfield Reflections" in FP video settings to get rid of artefact
I think I have the sound fixed
And the table should only tip 15 degrees in any direction now...

Attachments

• Labyrinth.fpt
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Here is more difficult labyrinth
I haven't made the box yet and ball sounds aren't working yet

Attachments

• LabyrinthHard.fpt
    718 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
see above
oops

Ok
Update:
1. Add Ball sounds
2. Add Surrounding box (although there should be two...
3. Added xBAM.GameRoom = false , to force Games Room Off.
4. I added a Forced Camera view
5. Added xml code to script for better ball dynamics (ball was sliding too much and not rolling)

Attachments

• LabyrinthHard.fpt
    817.5 KB · Views: 99
Really appreciate your progress on this!

This is where being caught between VP and FP worlds can really slow me down on testing. Me, I'm right in the middle of a huge VP project just now.

I'll try to get to this later tonight or even tomorrow. Thank you, Gimli!

Interesting projects. I never would have thought about building something like these. I take it you are doing these using miniplayfield.

Interesting projects. I never would have thought about building something like these. I take it you are doing these using miniplayfield.
@GeorgeH
Yes I have the exact "expert one here at home and It dawned on me that BAM miniplayfield could do it. I wasnt sure if Rav's mp physics would be up to the task...but it works greeat !! Its a great test for the "RatRace" table Paolo and I are doing

@Gimli
Fantastic Bob....labyrinth I like it?

it seems to work very well, although I think, it would take some little fix....I expose my opinion, I don't want to criticize your work
some kickers, it does not stop the roller sound (destroy) .... I have some problems in the desktop, I can create in a suitable cabinet, and then I think you could configure the ball to better respond to the inclinations,(I have some suggestions, but I have to write it well in English, so that it is clear to you),we could add some light, and sound, to make it more beautiful.

what do you think about it ?

@Gimli
Fantastic Bob....labyrinth I like it?

it seems to work very well, although I think, it would take some little fix....I expose my opinion, I don't want to criticize your work
some kickers, it does not stop the roller sound (destroy) .... I have some problems in the desktop, I can create in a suitable cabinet, and then I think you could configure the ball to better respond to the inclinations,(I have some suggestions, but I have to write it well in English, so that it is clear to you),we could add some light, and sound, to make it more beautiful.

what do you think about it ?
hold off for now Paolo ,
I have a bunch of tweaks almost done...

hold off for now Paolo ,
I have a bunch of tweaks almost done...

they were just suggestions, I didn't do anything absolutely .... also because I can't make two tables at the same time, for now I only focus on Rat .... when you are done then we'll talk about it again, but first we have to finish Rat

Ok I am made some more progress.
1. I looked at my actual table and I emulated the movements more closely and add the other internal frame
2. I added knobs that rotate with table tilt
3. I added texture swapping Special1 or Special2 keys

Now if I can only figure custom camera angles in BAM !!

Attachments

• LabyrinthHard2.fpt
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
1.I added the ball release hole and stand after you drain.
2.Tweaked the ball sounds , with random roll time inside the box after you drain
3.Turned off all the unneeded/unused flipper and plunger sounds
4. The table slopes balance at start game and it goes to my preferred Camera view
5. Added texture swapping to all new parts with Special1 or Special2 key use

Attachments

• LabyrinthHard3.fpt
    1.6 MB · Views: 90

Attachments

• LabyrinthHard4.fpt
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: jumpyspider is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back