Oil cooling.

Speaking of cooling, I am thinking of buying an Antec (Antec 300 black steel mid ATX) case where the power supply is mounted on the bottom (my power supply has long enough cabling to reach all the connections). Will this help as far as cooling goes by having the power supply on the bottom? The case has a 140mm on the top 2 120mm fans on the front, one on the side and one on the back, all of them high velocity.
Here's the link if you are curious: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

Speaking of cooling, I am thinking of buying an Antec (Antec 300 black steel mid ATX) case where the power supply is mounted on the bottom (my power supply has long enough cabling to reach all the connections). Will this help as far as cooling goes by having the power supply on the bottom? The case has a 140mm on the top 2 120mm fans on the front, one on the side and one on the back, all of them high velocity.
Here's the link if you are curious: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

I think the advantage to that is the CPU is up near the top where those 2 fans can take the hot air out without either one being blocked by the power supply.

I've seen these type cases with a grill on the bottom so you can put the power supply in upside down so the supply can get outside air from under the case. I wouldn't do that for fear of too much dust being pulled in off the floor, but if you had a dust free home....

Last edited:
Thanks mrshultz for the input, I will be buying the case soon then! A grill on the bottom of the case? Never seen one like that. :D

> At the many pizza places i worked at as a teen we never had our ovens
> any hotter than 500. Any good pizza stone will be able to take that temp easily.

and the point of the stone is to increase the temperature, so in effect you're cooking at significantly higher than 500 heat.
btw, i think my answer may violate the laws of thermodynamics. my understanding of physical science is poor, but isn't it impossible for an object to achieve a higher temperature than its surroundings? i mean, if it's not undergoing a chemical reaction.

so what is a preheated stone doing? storing up the heat and moving it faster than the oven rack / oven air can do, maybe.

btw, i think my answer may violate the laws of thermodynamics. my understanding of physical science is poor, but isn't it impossible for an object to achieve a higher temperature than its surroundings? i mean, if it's not undergoing a chemical reaction.

so what is a preheated stone doing? storing up the heat and moving it faster than the oven rack / oven air can do, maybe.

I was going to say something about that earlier but wasn't sure if you were talking about a pizza oven or a stone in a standard oven. The reason you have to pre-heat the stone is because it absorbs heat slower than the rest of the oven, if you put the pizza on the stone as soon as the oven hits it's set point the stone will be cooler than what the oven thermometer reads.

In a pizza oven I'm sure the stone bottom is hotter than the air since it's the stone that is being heated directly. I guess if you put a stone down close to the element in a standard electric oven it would have a similar effect, but you would probably get wild swings in temp as the element turned on and off.

okay, and i guess that's why the article linked earlier mentioned pre-heating the oven for an hour. (to fully saturate the pizza stone / firebrick with heat)

one cheat i used to use before i had a pizza stone was to put a freshly-made crust in a pizza pan and cook it just enough to firm up, then remove it from the pan, add toppings and put the result directly on an oven rack.

i'm pretty psyched to try some pizza experiments when i get back. in particular i'm going to try replacing the cheese (for cholesterol concerns) with something, anything that can give similar texture and tanginess. right now i'm thinking about a soy cheese and nutritional yeast mixture. i had a kashi frozen pizza the other day that tried to replace the cheese with a cannelini bean spread, but the results were underwhelming.

okay, and i guess that's why the article linked earlier mentioned pre-heating the oven for an hour. (to fully saturate the pizza stone / firebrick with heat)

An hour seems overkill but I guess if you were using full size fire bricks it would take that long, I would think 15 or 20 minutes would be plenty for one inch thick bricks. That is the time after the oven reaches setpoint, so maybe their oven was slow getting up to it's setpoint making the total time one hour.

hmm, i guess i'll have to experiment with the heating times to find out when they get saturated. maybe start with 20 minutes, work up to an hour, and see if there are any differences.

short of drilling a hole midway into one of the bricks and sticking a meat thermometer in. :p
or looking up densities / composition, finding the right formulae, and... ugh.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Free Bally! @ Free Bally!:
    Do you know Fleet Foxes?
    never forget 'em after this tune
  • JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze:
    (AI prompt) describe the band Fleet Foxes
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, Fleet Foxes are an American indie folk band formed in Seattle, Washington in 2006. The band is known for their lush harmonies, intricate arrangements, and poetic lyrics. Their music draws on a wide range of influences, including folk, rock, and baroque pop.

The band's sound is characterized by intricate vocal harmonies, acoustic guitars, and a variety of other instruments such as mandolin, piano, and various percussion. Their lyrics often explore themes of nature, spirituality, and the passage of time.

Fleet Foxes gained critical acclaim with their self-titled debut album in 2008, which was followed by the equally well-received albums "Helplessness Blues" in 2011 and "Crack-Up" in 2017. The band has developed a dedicated fanbase and continues to be praised for their unique sound and songwriting abilities.
    (AI prompt) Helplessness Blues lyrics by Fleet Foxes
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, I was raised up believing I was somehow unique
    Like a snowflake distinct among snowflakes, unique in each way you can see
    And
    ai coulda summed it up: — superb 3rd-wave folkrock :headphones:
    yeah wow, that Fleet Foxes tune is a trip?
    gangly guitars
    Liked it, nice shows!
    Have to learn to listen afterwards..
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    JonPurpleHaze rolls 2d6 and gets 10.
    thanks! well, next thing i'm looking for is songs about nursery rhymes
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
    (AI prompt) adult nursery rhymes songs
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, 1. "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" - updated for adults with humorous lyrics about farm life and animal sounds.

2. "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" - a more mature version with deeper meaning and reflection on the beauty of the night sky.

3. "The Wheels on the Bus" - a fun and funky remix for adults, with a catchy beat and new verses about the daily commute.

4. "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" - a revamped version with lyrics about navigating the ups and downs of adult life.

5. "Mary Had a Little Lamb" - a grown-up twist on the classic nursery rhyme, exploring themes of friendship and loyalty.

6. "Humpty Dumpty" - a modern retelling of the tale of Humpty Dumpty, with a focus on resilience and overcoming obstacles.

7. "Hickory Dickory Dock" - a jazzy rendition of the traditional nursery rhyme, with a swingin' beat and updated lyrics.

haha, but WHO does those songs?
    (AI prompt) bands that do adult nursery rhymes songs
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, 1. The Wiggles - Known for their catchy and playful songs for children, The Wiggles have also released adult versions of nursery rhymes with a humorous twist.

2. Rockabye Baby! - This series of albums feature lullaby renditions of popular rock and pop songs, including nursery rhymes, that are perfect for both children and adults to enjoy.

3. The Nursery Rhymes - A band that specializes in creating modern and edgy versions of classic nursery rhymes, appealing to both kids and adults with their catchy tunes.

4. The Mother Goose Band - Combining elements of rock, folk, and pop music, The Mother Goose Band puts a unique spin on traditional nursery rhymes, making them fun and entertaining for listeners of all ages.

5. The Nursery Rhyme Rebels - This band takes nursery rhymes to a whole new level with their edgy and adult-themed versions, adding a modern twist to these timeless classics.
    Well anywhop, not getting paid this week means i have to tend to a cascade of unpaid bills, better get to it. Good chattin this week, have a beaut of a weekend!
    Free Bally! has left the room.
    Block has left the room.
    toddmanb has left the room.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: toddmanb has left the room.
      Back