Spirit (Gottlieb, 1982) VP8

VP8 Gottlieb SS Recreation Spirit (Gottlieb, 1982) VP8 v1.2 2020-01-28

No permission to download
Spirit
by Luvthatapex, Moonchild, Destruk
IPD No. 2292

v1.2 - Updated to new font char numbers for vpm-ransparency by moonchild

SPIRIT seems to capture the best elements of its multi-playfield predecessors, "Black Hole" and "Haunted House", however, it's rarity ensured that few people ever experienced it. Playing SPIRIT certainly is an experience with Doerzaph's dramatic graphics on both playfield and the animated back-glass and heart-thumping sound effectss to accompany the challenging gameplay on its 2 levels.

The playfield is a maze of channels and guide rails, with 4 capture holes, a 360° turnaround, outlane mini-flipers, spot and drop targets on both levels and a return of the "Stargate" firt used on "Mars god of war". Notably, Gottlieb didn't use unreliable ball kickers and tubes to move the ball between levels, and relied on the infallible forces of gravity instead.

Rules:
GAME OBJECTIVES SUMMARY:
Complete both drop target banks to activate the capture holes, then lock the balls in said capture holes. Shoot 3rd ball into the Launch ball kicker for multiball. Repeat visits to the Launch ball kicker are the fastest way of advancing the bonus multiplier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MULTIBALL PLAY
2-ball multiball is achieved when either no, or only one captive hole is occupied and the ball enters the opened STARGATE to the top centre captive hole.

3-ball multiball is achieved when 2 captive holes are occupied and the ball enters the opened Stargate to the top centre captive hole, or when all 3 captive holes are occupied.

Playfield scoring during multiball is 2x (2-ball) or 3x (3-ball).
When only 1 ball is left in play, return rollover lights turn off and captive hole light rotation sequence returns.

STARGATE

Completing spot targets 1-4 lights green "X" of Roundabout. Shooting green "X" when lit opens STARGATE (not during multiball).

Ball save targets also open STARGATE when lit.
BONUS MULTIPLIER

Completing the 3 top left rollovers advances Bonus Multiplier.
Shooting blue X (right rollunder) when lit advances Bonus Multiplier.
SPECIAL

Spelling S-P-I-R-I-T by completing both drop target banks lights both banks for SPECIAL. Completing either bank when lit awards Special.

The number of Specials awarded equals the number of balls in play.
EXTRA BALL

Completing spot target sequence (3 hits each) lights B-A-L-L. Extra Ball is awarded when both targets are hit and B-A-L-L is lit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPPER PLAYFIELD
DROP-TARGETS (3)
Score 4000 points and add Bonus. Completed target bank resets and advances S-P-I-R-I-T. Awards Special when lit.
SPOT TARGET

Score 1000 points when both "L" lamps are unlit. Flashes both "L" lamps alternately.
Score 5000 points when both "L" lamps are flashing. Turns on left "L" lamp and flashes right "L" lamp.
Score 10000 points when right "L" lamp is flashing. Turns on right "L" lamp.
Score 5000 points when both "L" lamps are lit.
ROLLUNDER - Score 1000 points.

100-POINT SWITCH - score 100 points.

MAIN PLAYFIELD
DROP-TARGETS (3)
Score 2000 points and add Bonus. Completed target bank resets and advances S-P-I-R-I-T. Awards Special when lit.
BALL SAVE SPOT TARGETS (2)

Score 2000 points when unlit.
Score 4000 points and open STARGATE when lit (if not in multiball).
SPOT TARGET

Score 1000 points when both "B" & "A" lamps are unlit. Flashes both lamps alternately.
Score 5000 points when both lamps are flashing. Turns on "B" lamp and flashes "A" lamp.
Score 10000 points when "A" lamp is flashing. Turns on right "A" lamp.
Score 5000 points when both lamps are lit.
# 1-4 SPOT TARGETS

Score 5000 points and add bonus when lit. Turns out lamp.
Score 1000 points when unlit.
Completing the 1-4 sequence resets the sequence and lights green "X" of Roundabout.
ROUNDABOUT

Score 2000 points when unlit.
Score 10000 points AND OPEN stargate when green "X" is lit (if first ball is in play).
POP-BUMPER - Score 1000 points when lit or 10000 points when flashing.

RIGHT ROLLUNDER - Score 10000 points unlit or 50000 points and advance Bunus Multiplier when lit.

TOP LEFT ROLLOVERS (3)

Score 1000 points unlit or 5000 points when lit.
Centre rollover flashes Pop-Bumper for 15 switch closures.
Completing the sequence advances the Bonus Multiplier and resets sequence.
TOP CENTRE CAPTIVE HOLE - Score 20000 points and close STARGATE.

KICK-OUT/CAPTIVE HOLES (3)

Score 5000 points unlit or score 10000 points and capture ball when lit.
Enter 3-ball multiball if all 3 holes have captive balls.
LEFT & RIGHT RETURN ROLLOVERS - Score 1000 points unlit or 20000 points when lit.

LEFT & RIGHT OUTLANE ROLLOVERS - Score 100 points unlit or 1000 points and adds light blue "X" of Right Rollunder when lit.

SHOOTER LANE SWITCH - Releases captive ball in top centre hole when entering 2-ball multiball.

10-POINT SWITCHES (5)

Score 10 points.
Rotate Ball Save target and outlane rollover lane lights.
Toggle return rollovers when in Multiball.
Close STARGATE after 15 switch closures.
OTHER FEATURES:

Right flipper button rotates top left rollver lights.
ROM------------------>
  • spirit_0lf.jpg
    spirit_0lf.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 170

Latest reviews

Why does the scoreboard show letters and numbers, have I got the wrong font installed, I need help to solve this problem.
Upvote 0
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back