1979-80 Stern`s tables

diegovero96

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Meteor
Hi,
why these classical 79-80 Stern's VPT ( meteor, ali, galaxy ), for example , have no that amazing noise effect of those years? It sounds when completing drop and stand targets, even when "game over" and "match" appear too...
Any legal problem maybe?
I'd like to get this sound sample..
thanks,

PS: sorry, my english's not very good, i'm from Argentina

Those sounds are in the rom itself, and not in the table. There is a program called M1 that can extract the sounds from the rom, but I don't know how to use it.

The ROM players like M1 often use the F1-12 keys to pull up the player or to record the sound selection. I think M1 uses F4 or F5.

You might also use the M1 player and use the Windows Sound Recorder (Start > All Programs > Accessories >Entertainment > Sound Recorder) to record the sounds as they play. But you'll need to open the Windows Volume Control and click Properties at the top, then select Recording and choose Wave or What You Hear. This will select what the Sound Recorder uses for the recording source.

You can also use the Volume Control setting with Sound Recorder while playing Visual Pinball, but it is not easy. That requires quick action. Sound Recorder might only record for 60 seconds at a time. If so, in later Windows versions, you can continue the recording by clicking the record button, but again, this is difficult.

Best if you can use a dedicated sound recorder. Winamp (Free) has one. Audacity (Free) has one.
Some sound cards also have this.

You know what Sleepy? I totally forgot about doing the self test and setting Wavepad to record from the computer...

Itchigo, thanks for replay my post...but I always thought that the sounds were in the Pinmame "samples" folder..

The ones in the samples folder are "general" sounds. Kickersounds, coil sounds, etc. Nothing table specific, only general (mostly mechanical) sounds that are used on all tables.

Take a look inside.

Attachments

• pinmame.zip
    463.4 KB · Views: 340
thanks again Itchigo, very clear answer...but my question is: are you sure that the roms contain this sound effect as you said? Maybe does not exist at all... not for virtual pinballs. All the others sounds and chimes work perfectly, ecxept this one in particular..

I believe so. As a former operator my understanding was the table sounds were contained in the rom chip. That being said, I never did board repair myself, I always sent that out. Obviously real games have no need for the mechanical sounds, and that's where the pinmame.zip comes in.

I have to qualify this as: I am an author of many tables, but I've never built a VPM one.

Plus- they have to be in there or other people wouldn't be saying to "use M1 to get sounds out of the rom". (Something I haven't done).

ok, i`ll try to get M1 and learn how to use it, thank you very much

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back