A life well lived is a life worth living.

StevOz

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
TMNT
Now I have known many as maybe you have to, not famous, maybe infamous on their own small patch, my dad died just over a year ago now, for instance.

I worked on the same site as he did over 35 years ago at Steel Mains metal fabrication shop, he was the Pay Master. I was a shit kicker Trade Assistant, that said so was he before I was born. Ah the good old days when jobs were for life and wages fair, needless to say dad took early retirement at 55 and I took a redundancy payout after 5 years or so on the job.

To be continued...

The only things wrong with an early retirement are (1) loss of income/dependency on savings/pension/government trust, and (2) people stop being active. Sitting around all day catches up with you dangerously fast when you're older.

The only things wrong with an early retirement are (1) loss of income/dependency on savings/pension/government trust, and (2) people stop being active. Sitting around all day catches up with you dangerously fast when you're older.
I'm fighting the activity battle right now. Loosing weight is a tough part of this . I lost 16 pounds this month. 140 pounds last month when my wife left me !

Retirement is great. Where did I find the time for work!

So many hobbies, so little time.

Weight is a factor that I'm trying to beat. Not quite in the Coil_Smoke arena .... lost 7 lbs in the past 3 months with an end goal of about 20-25 lbs total. Not dieting, just eating more sensible portions and exercising more. Taken up lawn bowls and play 4 times a week circa 8-10 hours total. But with the outdoor season about to start we may well add another 6-8 hours to that. Cracking! Bring it on :)

Cutting out the beer [doctors orders] has undoubtedly helped in all but the sleep department. Allowed 1 small can a day, so I'm grateful for that :joy:
Plus now summer is coming, sorting out the garden too.

Lower income is hard to adjust to initially, but you cut your cloth according to your means ... after a couple years it's no longer a factor. I speak for myself obviously ... to each their own circumstances. :wave:

I'm fighting the activity battle right now. Loosing weight is a tough part of this . I lost 16 pounds this month. 140 pounds last month when my wife left me !
wow, and sorry!

me, i'm kind of pissed at myself over my weight gain the past year or so. after i did a breakup, i was kind of in the dumps and got hooked on frozen margaritas. a really poor decision on my part considering how much sugar they contain compared to how hard i've worked over the years to remove almost all sugar from my diet. :/

...Ah the good old days when jobs were for life and wages fair, needless to say dad took early retirement at 55 and I took a redundancy payout after 5 years or so on the job.
on the flip side of that, i'm reminded of japan... where most salary jobs still seem to be for life, you have to work something like 4-5 extra hours a day for zero pay, are discouraged from taking vacations or even going to the doctor, and barely have time to spend with your wife and kids.

That version of Japan sounds...not modern. Who let out The Warlords?

Gotta keep drinking the electrolytes. I had me some Pedialyte tonight. They quit adding the interfering Zinc. It was like the good old days with the original formula. Did me some good.

That version of Japan sounds...not modern. Who let out The Warlords?
it's been that way since... at least the end of WWII, i think.

as a salaryman it's bad form to leave work before your boss, and the same goes for him, right up the chain of command. although it is compulsory to be obsessive about completing projects, workers are also forced to spend a lot of time looking busy and waiting around. you can't even call in sick unless you go out that same day to get a doctor's note, which doesn't make much logistical sense. OTOH if you look ill at work and/or are found napping on your desk, it's supposedly a sign of your dedication to the company.

you also have to go on after hours company drinking parties on a regular basis, and drink whether you really want to or not. that typically leads to lots of funny pictures the next day:
http://tokyodesu.com/2014/06/10/gallery-the-ultimate-drunken-salaryman-compilation/

i've read complaints that this kind of mindset is also common is south korea, which japan had conquered for a time.

And I would think a modern tech company such as SONY would figure out a way to make it easier for all. The 6 hr. workday for instance.

I pushed 85+ lbs. of cardboard mobiles one day for WB/Reprise. I got compliments, but no permanent offers. Is there an issue with making the boss or the made-men look like "Slackers"? Not my issue. Just wondering about "The Bird".

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back