• We have added Language Translations for French, Italian and Spanish menus, you can change your language at the bottom of every page, bottom left in the footer.
  • Spanish (Español, Latin American) translations have been added for the Forums and Resource Manager (Downloads). You can change your Language Here!

Adobe Shockwave & Flash games... back from the dead!

Ike Savage

Froggy like robot
Staff member
Site Supporters
Finally tried out BlueMaxima's Flashpoint project, and I must say it's pretty impressive! Flashpoint is a massive project meant to preserve not just old Flash games and animations, but content made in Shockwave, Java, Unity, Microsoft Silverlight, 3DVIA, PopCap, ActiveX, and of course, Shiva3D. 16 different dev platforms in all.

So if you're missing some favorite Flash games and don't need the hassle of tracking down their .SWF files and getting them to run in modern browsers, this is a great way to not only get them all in one place, but to discover and play around with many more by the same sites & devs. The growing database is up to ~50K entries at this point, and there are over 100 resource contributors & tinkerers on the project.

This project also solves a major issue common to many Flash games-- getting them to run offline on your local setup. Flashpoint usually solves that by creating a virtual web server, persuading the game that it's still running on the original host. Another method (I've used this myself with success) is to use editing tools to change paths and remove links in various .SWF files, and that's another part of the work being done by the project team.

Just now I compared some of my local collection of 500+ archived Flash games to their list, and right now Flashpoint looks like they already have ~75% archived. That's nice to see, and I'm thinking I might want to get involved in the project at some point to add the missing games they don't have yet.

To wrap this up, the downloadable installer size is 466mb. Or if you like, you can torrent the installer bundled with the complete collection of games; around 330gb(!) After you install, the interface lets you browse the list of games in various ways, and when you double-click one, if you don't already have it, the game will download automatically, then run in the matching player bundled in.

With Flash games in particular, these will play not in browser but in Adobe's official player. What's nice is that you can usually expand them to fullscreen, which wasn't commonly possible running them from their original sites.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ike Savage

Froggy like robot
Staff member
Site Supporters
While this crazy world spins out of control, I've continued to investigate the Flashpoint software suite. IMO it could still use some polish in various ways, but it's already quite powerful and really, absolutely invaluable for me at this point.

The bundled-in Flashplayer_32_sa.exe (only 15megs) has become my default Flash player, taking over from Firefox, which I used to play .SWF files in the past. In fact it's a relief not having to worry about Mozilla screwing up it's built-in Flash-player via update, which has been known to happen before.

Ordinarily I'd recommend getting the player direct from Adobe, but since Flash is going to be officially discontinued at the end of this year, instead I'd recommend going for the basic Flashpoint suite, instead (linked earlier). What's nice is that Flashpoint includes at least ten different players (attachment #1) for historic purposes, probably because every once in a while an old game requires an old player to run.

If you don't want to download the Flashpoint project at this time, attachment #2 is Adobe's Flash player I was talking about. It's the one I've been using this past week, and to my surprise, has allowed me to run some archived Flash games I wasn't able to in the past. I scanned it with up-to-date Windows Defender, and it's attachment #2.

If you'd like a game to test it with, how about Robot Avoider? I just discovered it today, and it's quite a cool mashup of classic games, such as the 16-bit classic Crystal Quest, with hints of the old 8-bit, turn-based Dalek game, in which you you try to outwit and outmaneuver a bunch of enemies for as long as you can. It's a pretty intense but minimilast game, with lots of levels, different enemies, and upgrades. Two screenies are attached. It even has a pinball level! :o

If that interests you, grab the .SWF file below and save it to your machine:

Then double-click it, and point it to wherever you placed the Flash player. From then on, every .SWF game should run with a double-click.

Any problems or questions, feel free to post. Happy gaming. :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Gin

Ike Savage

Froggy like robot
Staff member
Site Supporters
Here's four of my all-time favorite Flash arcade-style games:

Para-Uber is a ridiculously cool, intense, upgraded remake of the 8-bit classic Paratrooper. While it's tempting (and fun) to lay on the fire button and sweep your gun all over the screen, cutting down enemies willy-nilly, you also lose points by doing so. In other words, your final score equals how much ammunition you save across the game. So it's important to balance precision fire against going all-out. There's lots of different enemies and depth to the game, as you'll discover. Pro tip: if an enemy reaches the ground (that's bad news), you can take them out by kerplunking another enemy on top of their heads. That's done by shooting out their parachute instead of going to the body.

Hot Rocks is one of the cleanest, coolest upgraded Asteroids remakes I've ever seen. The main new feature here is the ability to enter a docking station and grab special weapons to play with.

Uber-Boat is an absolutely killer version of the arcade classic Depth Charge. You pilot a destroyer, dropping depth charges on waves of enemy submarines firing torpedoes and mines upwards at you. Your supply of depth charges is limited, and replenishes slowly, which means there's a real art to skillfully dodging the enemies' shots while preserving your ammunition for just the right moments. Like Para-Uber (by the same outfit), this game gets incredibly intense at higher levels.

GRID RUNNER++ is kind of a silly lark, very much in line with the original 8-bit game. It's a Centipede-style shooter with lots of fun, gonzo effects... as much of a game as it an immersive toy. Note: give it an extra moment to start up after loading.

Remember, you can go full-screen with all these games by hitting Ctrl-F from the player, or just using the menu drop-downs.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Gin
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Ike Savage:
    where is the unapprove option, anyway? is that a super mod thing or something from the admin panel?
  • @ Ike Savage:
    oh wait, I see it
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    true, but they could also be invisible to users and perhaps allow the category to be removed
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Don't know, do know that if you delete a category all files would also be removed so that's bad,
  • @ Ike Savage:
    seems like we discussed it in some length at one point and came up with the current arrangement, but I don't have a strong opinion on that stuff. the one thing I do like is that I can clear out weaker tables from the main section without deleting them
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Sounds fine to me Ike, can't disagree with ya!
  • @ Ike Savage:
    is it that you want to declutter more of the resources section?
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    No it's fine
  • @ Ike Savage:
    also, just to be clear-- the issue with "unapprove" is that you don't know if the table actually gets deleted from the server, right? AFAIK I have no way of seeing where the tables actually lie on the server, so it's something I can't test effectively
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    They wouldn't get deleted from the server, I don't think.
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Can we get back to the subdomain folders/files, the uploads.pinballnirvana.com folder is where uploads would need to be, just wondering what might need to be deleted..
  • @ Ike Savage:
    do you mind a phone call? probably easier to discuss, save some wear and tear on my hands, too
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    No problems Ike, can't talk now but will try and set this up.
  • @ Ike Savage:
    okay, well let me know if you need space cleared up across the torrent area, because I have some ideas
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Yeah, noticed a .zip file contains many versions etc..
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Uploading a 1.34 GB Pink Floyd The Wall zip file via ftp to test...
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    The file is actually on the server in FP originals but isn't public.
  • @ Anthias:
    Um, so, Hi!. What did I miss? (he says as though he ducked to the toilet while the adds were on...)
  • @ AnonTet:
    Hi guys, I«m asking here as it might have a quicker response. How can I check the ball size used by authors in FP? or at least the default size if anyone knows. Thanks
  • @ Gimli:
    Most FP authors use the default size and don't know how to use BAM to alter it.
  • @ Gimli:
    I think it may be 13.8 though
  • @ AnonTet:
    Thanks. But while I've waited I've looked at a ring around a ramp in LotR that's 26mm so i figure the ball being 24mm. A bit short of real life ball size if that's so.
  • @ AnonTet:
    of course I could've used my brains earlier and create a table with some carefully spaced guides and check that the ball is in fact 27mm in diameter. Peeking at fp.exe and bam.dll and there's no way to change this. you can set the colour and the id to track it though (but that's known)
  • @ Gimli:
    With Bam custom ball coding you can create balls of any size...see my titorial
  • @ Gimli:
    +1
    @ Gimli: https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?threads/bam-feature-how-to-guides.19601/post-120547 +1