Wizards_Hat

Pinball Nudger
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
STTNG
Hi all,
just a quick note to say that I've uploaded my Alphanumeric Display Tutorial
http://www.pinballnirvana.com/UpDownload-req-getit-lid-1940.html.
https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?resources/alphanumeric_display_v2_-fixed.3567/

In the vpforums original table contest I designed an Alphanumeric Display with a simple command structure. This table is designed to help others use the same system in original tables. Very little understanding of coding is required to use it.
This tutorial can be used in different ways...

Firstly you can just literally copy the required parts of the script and table objects and use the display commands without needing to know how any of it works, other than the commands needed to place messages in the display.

The script indicates the 2 sub routines you will need to change for your table (otherwise you'll end up with the example messages I have included here). There is also an indication line in the script that shows you what you can ignore.

After that, if you wish to know how it works, the script is (hopefully) commented enough for you to find that out - though if you have any questions please ask.

Regards,
Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dan. The more tutorials and demos the better. Most of us can always try to learn something new. And once in a while something sinks in for me.

Hi Dan, this is a fantastic Display system! I'm going to give you my first impressions.

The variables need to be named something unique, something that virtually couldn't already be used in a table. Something like....

Dim HATn,HATi,HATj,HATV,HATW,HATA,HATB

Dim HATCurrent,HATPosition,HATCharacter

To get some Original table makers to use this, you may also want to release a working Table Template with subs for addscore, a couple of bumpers, a couple of plastics with working slingshots, etc. Most won't know how to create a collection to use Black's Light Sequencer to turn ON and OFF all the lights that's located in the script to prevent bulb burnouts or stuck on bulbs.

I do think that just about anyone could learn to enter the messages and that is what is really impressive here along with the score display. The other thing is how easy this is to select all of the lights and rotate them, so this display system can be easily used in vertical/FS tables. Currently reels or Textboxes can't be easily used in building vertical tables.

Unfortunately, VP9.0.9 seems to have more problems than fixes, but I guess I need to download it just to be able to copy objects from one table to another while retaining the object names or I would have to rename hundreds of lights. I currently use VP9.0.7

Great system and I will use it.

I agree with Bob. It would not only be more inviting and intriguing if the table was playable, but it would also prove that a functioning table will run smooth enough with this running as well. I was disappointed when I switched to play mode before I noticed that there was not enough elements on the table to play a game.

It would indeed be better bundled with a working table, if just Table one.

Having the negative out of the way. This is wicked cool stuff and very impressive. I think if it does consume negligible resources that it should be in the devs hands and a standard in the VP package.

Some great feedback there, thanks Bob.

You're completely right about the unique variables part, & I totally forgot about stating the need to make a collection for the light sequencer. (As the lights are an array anyway, can I not just turn them on/off as an array to avoid the problem, or do I have to use a lightseq?...I'll try it out myself anyway, but if you already know the answer...)

As for making a table template...I'm a little bit loathed to do it as I feel it could turn into a total bohemoth before I felt it was ok to turn loose...I'm not a perfectionist, but I do seem to spend far more time than is actually necessary when making stuff like that for others to use. I'm going to have to think about it.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback - I definately update this tutorial with unique variable names at least.

Regards,
Dan.

Sorry Shockman, wasn't ignoring your post (started to reply to Bob's then had to put my son to bed, so didn't actually press send until over an hour later...then saw your reply too!).

I deliberately made the table unplayable as I wanted people to see the display for what it is with no distractions.

I think my main worry about making a template table is people using it to make tables with virtually no input of their own - and therefore unless I do make a template that's really good, people will just make mediocre tables...and because they'll have used my template, I would feel it would reflect on me.

On the other hand though...the man that makes no mistakes, is the man that makes nothing!

Maybe I'll do a template afterall :)

Regards,
Dan.

I know how you feel. I was actually thinking more along the lines of Table1, the default new table template.

I would hard code a little credit into the system if I was you and make the rest editable.

It's a good idea to use the LightSeq function as it will correct the state of any stuck lights, which does on occasion happen when VP renders a table.

It's a good idea to use the LiightSeq function as it will correct the state of any stuck lights, which does on occasion happen when VP renders a table.
Yeah I came to understand that during the making of this display in the contest table.
What I now need to know is, does it need to be a light sequencer that turns them on/off to avoid the problem, or can I just have the lights turn on/off in the script without a lightseq?

(I've tried reproducing the problem with this tutorial table by taking out the lightseq & not turning the lights on/off, but cannot make the problem appear in the first place! Yet it happened often in the "Beat This" table without lightseqs!)

Regards,
Dan.

It needs to be the light sequencer, changing the state of a stuck light will have no effect. Also I think the display would look better if it were slightly slanted.

There is no doubt you can turn lights on and off safely with the script. The problem 'Oz is talking about is something that happens during initialization. I have seen it many times, but never seen a light that was working quit working. What you want to do I think is to run a cycle through the sequencer at start up, then you should be working with all the lights.

I did not see that 'Oz posted, sorry.

Sorry Shockman, wasn't ignoring your post (started to reply to Bob's then had to put my son to bed, so didn't actually press send until over an hour later...then saw your reply too!).

I deliberately made the table unplayable as I wanted people to see the display for what it is with no distractions.

I think my main worry about making a template table is people using it to make tables with virtually no input of their own - and therefore unless I do make a template that's really good, people will just make mediocre tables...and because they'll have used my template, I would feel it would reflect on me.

On the other hand though...the man that makes no mistakes, is the man that makes nothing!

Maybe I'll do a template afterall :)

Regards,
Dan.

Thanks a valid point Dan. All my templates and demo tables are based on actual tables I've released, with the graphics and sounds at a minimum, and full scripting. I sometimes move objects around, so anyone using one of them can learn, but needs to do some work to end up with a decent table for tkemselves.

Wonderful! Glad I'm taking my time to read past posts!

This will be wonderful for my Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension table!

Will
aka druadic

Cool - glad you like the idea :)

If you find you need any help implementing it, just give me a shout.

Regards,
Dan.

Alphanumeric Display Tutorial

Cool - glad you like the idea :)

If you find you need any help implementing it, just give me a shout.

Regards,
Dan.

Dan,

More than likely I will need your help!

This will be my FIRST EVER homebrew table. After I finish my current WIP I will contact you about implementing this into my new WIP.

I appreciate it very much; all your work on this. :guitar:

Will
aka druadic

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back