And now for something simpler, I have started Eight Ball.

I like the pool balls overlayed onto the table.
This table looks amazing.It's more impressive up close too.

Looks fantastic, just wondering Kurt, you seem to really like these early SS Ballys are these the machines you played most in your youth?

Here in Perth, West Australia, there were far fewer Ballys compared to the vast number of Stern SS machines of the same era.

Well, not really my youth. I was 20 years old when Eight Ball came out. :)

I did have the oppertunity to be a pin/arcade repairman, from 1980 to 1983. I got to play a lot of those tables then-FOR FREE! ;)

Kurt

You're OLD Kurt. :twisted:

But then again...I'm 36....soon 37..... and feeling old every now and
then..... we were driving with my girfriend.... who's 11 years younger
than me... and there was this horrid 80'S (s)hit song on the radio.... for
some reason all radio stations are suddenly playing the 80's stuff again....
and you can be sure it's always the worst and cheesiest crap they can
find....

Well anyway..... can't remember who was the performer...... Lionel
Ritchie... Foreigner.... Laura Branigan.... Billy Ocean... or whatever
junk it was.... and I said "I still remember when this song was new...
actually I was a teenager back then."

Well she gave me a "look" and didn't say anything... :p

about the post-nuts.

there are 3 types:
chrome-plated brass/steel,
nylon,
and push-on rubber replacements.

i think that table is too old for the last two, it was probably mfr'd with the metal ones.

i used to replace them all with rubber ones because they rusted on all my tables, but that's not original. :D

Heres the next WIP.

Made all the walls and posts that the ball contacts in VP. I put the backglass image into a decal that covers the whole background. Then when I place walls, I set them to "Can Drop", which makes them visible on top of the decal. When I am done with them, I will set them to not be droppable, and they will disappear, but still influence the ball.

EightBallWip13.jpg

Kurt

scapino said:
Made all the walls and posts that the ball contacts in VP. I put the backglass image into a decal that covers the whole background. Then when I place walls, I set them to "Can Drop", which makes them visible on top of the decal. When I am done with them, I will set them to not be droppable, and they will disappear, but still influence the ball.
Cool info, I always wondered how you did that... Question though - how do you align stuff in the editor? If the table is a backglass image, you can't see where objects should be placed, right?

:?:

I use the image that I created for the playfield in the renderer, and I put that on the playfield in vp. That gets me close enough that any alignments I need to make on the backglass view are minor.

Kurt

So you have two renders then... The standard perspective which is the backglass decal and the overhead perspective which sits on the playfield for design? Makes sense, I was picturing you using just the standard one, which never made any sense at all to me. Thanks!

If Kurt puts the render on the table he would be able to align the playfield objects by the base of the images of them. I use the method of straightening the pic and have to place objects on the table by judging where the bottom of each object should be or appears to be in the pic - I would assume that Kurt would have to do something similar as his render is from the perspective of someone playing the table, which is the same perspective that you get in most pics of pinball machines or at least of the playfield. I find you can usually tell where the object meets the playfield and get an accurate positioning of playfield objects.

DS

You got it, David. Aligning at the base is the key.

Kurt

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back