Announcement: Visual Pinball 9.0

I just wanted to mention my computer specs to see if this VP9 and upcoming someday the S.A.M. Emulator will work on my computer, here it goes.

I have a intel(R) Pentium(R) 4CPU 3.06 GHz, 1.00GB of Ram

My Graphics card is ATI, Radeon 9700 Pro
Core clock MHz 297MHz
Memory Clock MHz 263MHz

That is all i can get out of my computer on specs, I also want too mention a lot of the CHD files in Mame don't work, they studder and they move slow is this from the power of my computer or is it from the Emulation. The games that don't work are California Speed, Crusin' series, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy/Legends, Carnevil and a bunch others. Could someone give me some information, Should i upgrade my computer or modify the CHD files, or wait for other mame versions to come out. And also when the time comes should i upgrade my Computer when the S.A.M. Emulator comes out someday, I know it will be awhile. Thanks for any responses. Dave P.

I just wanted to mention my computer specs to see if this VP9 and upcoming someday the S.A.M. Emulator will work on my computer, here it goes.

Core clock MHz 297MHz
Memory Clock MHz 263MHz

That is all i can get out of my computer on specs, I also want too mention a lot of the CHD files in Mame don't work, they studder and they move slow is this from the power of my computer or is it from the Emulation. The games that don't work are California Speed, Crusin' series, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy/Legends, Carnevil and a bunch others. Could someone give me some information, Should i upgrade my computer or modify the CHD files, or wait for other mame versions to come out. And also when the time comes should i upgrade my Computer when the S.A.M. Emulator comes out someday, I know it will be awhile. Thanks for any responses. Dave P.
I would try to get 2gb of ram and maybe a P4 dual core if your board can take it.

Thanks Joe i'm going to take it too sombody and maybe try talking to him. I can't do it right now because i have some financial problems and my X-box 360 died, you know the 3 red ring of death as they call it. So i'm going to buy a new one for 199.99, I have two hard drives so all i need is a system. Then the Doctor bills and credit card bills, you know the life situations. Then after all that i will check on the computer. I have a big tower so i'll just have to see what i or they can do for me, i want to play those CHD games without the studdering and slow-mo, it would be nice. And the best part was the computer was free, a friend of the family gave me his computer and he built another one for himself. Talk to you later. Dave P.

I just wanted to mention my computer specs to see if this VP9 and upcoming someday the S.A.M. Emulator will work on my computer.

You can try VP9 without hurting anything. It's just an EXE file that can run and if it doesn't work, delete it. Just make sure that you don't wipe out your current version of VP (rename your current VPinball.exe or whatever it's called before you copy the new VP9 exe into your Visual Pinball folder so you don't copy over it.

Core clock MHz 297MHz
Memory Clock MHz 263MHz

This post remembered me,that I must buy a new one.
I bought this old one about seven years ago and it
has become recently more and more crappy and
buggy day by day.Mouse cursor stuns,games play crappy
and they crash sometimes and sounds are crappy sometimes.

I'm not really too worried about vp9, I think my computer can handle it. I'm mostly worried about the S.A.M. Emulator someday when it gets built which will be awhile. And i have mame V.129 and i want to play the CHD games like Carnevil, California Speed, Crusin' series, Guantlet: Dark Legacy/legends and many more, But they studder, skip, go in slo-mo, and the voices also studder. It just drives me crazy because i love those games alot. So i don't really know what to do, How much would it cost to upgrade my computer so i can play those games, probably a lot i figure. I don't have money to buy a new computer so i just have to upgrade this one so those games and for the S.A.M. system someday. I'm just so confused and don't know what to do, and it drives me crazy. The other day i was trying to play California Speed and the slow-mo and studder drove me so crazy i wanted to smash my computer, I love that racing game. I wish i had a lot of money and could buy about a hundred video games and 50 pinball tables but i'm only dreaming. Thanks for listening sorry about rambling on, I know i'm almost 40 (which is on Feb. 24) but i still love video games. I wish they could do bigger arcade game compilations on the X-box 360, Then i'd be in heaven another game i love is Hydro Thunder. Talk to you soon, Dave P.

I'd recommend, unless you want to play the MAME games now, to wait until the emulation is actually ready/perfected. There will also be less expensive better hardware by then too.

I just don't know why 'they', whomever 'they' might be decided to call it VP9, it's not like it's an actual replacement for VP8.1?

What else should they have called it? "The new VP version that fucks shit up so bad that we didn't know what to call it"? Never the less, it's a new version. It'll need about so many updates that we could go to VP 12 only with those, but it's still a new version.

It strives to become a replacement for VP8.1 and has a long way before it does so, but it has many supporters, notably JPG-Pins.

The McD

I use both VP9 andVP8.1 on my computer. currently i am doing all my wip's in vp8, but the new 'Gas Attack' will be done in vp9 to better serve the guys/gals out there who can take advantage of the bells and whistles in VP9! I am learning all that diff. stuff in vp9 as I go, so hopefully it'll work out ok. that ball definitely is bigger! the biggest difference I see pertains to the image( backglass included) and the flippers! but as i get further into it I'm seeing there is alot more in it than vp8 had! so we'll see
Hey panootz!! go here and d/load Everest 4.6
http://www.lavalys.com/
this program (freeware) examines your entire computer system and shows you everything about your computer, from your motherboard to all your drives, and external devices! it's free and easy and I always wanted to know about my computer this program makes it simple

panootz if it helps, I'm 49 and LOVE video games! in our household is 2 computers, a PS2 and an xbox 360! my roomie is allways online with one his xbox playing either Tiger woods 09. or burnout revenge or grid or Madden 09 (ok he's younger at 33!) But I play too, esp the pinball tables in xbox arcade! and obviously I love pinball and anything related to it! i am also addicted to shot online.com a free online golf sim close to Tiger woods in it's layout (if you like golf then ya' gotta try this one) and it uses a simple rpg system for stats

Thanks guys for the information i also wrote on the mame area at Vpforums.org and Valamir said that those games are very powerful and you will need a very powerful computer, so eventually i'll just upgrade my computer. First i want to get another X-box 360 mine got the red ring of death. Then i have to pay for doctor bills and credit card bills. I don't use credit cards no more, so after that like Destruk said it will be cheaper to upgrade my computer then. Dave P. P.S. I can wait i have all the time in the world, i'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Like i said in another thread, i was having some big-time trouble here during the last weeks (also catched a cold and am still not too well) which means i couldnt do a lot of things i actually wanted to do.

Updating the VIP was one of them. But i will see to it that it is done ASAP now. (I thought i saw that there is a new VPM now too, so i can even combine the two program updates.)

I only wanted to know; is there a good stable version of VP 9 available now or should i make the 8 version the main exe and put a copy of 9 in as an alternative? And are there any other things i should consider adding or changing? Any info on what progress has been made and what VP version to incorporate etc. would be much appreciated.

It'd be better to incorporate both versions, VP9 still has some work to be done.

The McD

Thank You.

Anything else new to consider?

VPM 2.1 was released. Might want to put that in too.

And there have been some problems when using VP9 and VP8 in the same folder, don't know if there's a solution yet.

The McD

Phoenixx, if you do some research and playing of the new VP9, you'll soon discover that this is an Ultracade/Pinball Wizard version of VP. This means that at the moment, it is for cabinet people mostly. I don't even think that most of the regular monitor playing users can even use it for newer tables, without problems and glitches.

The nudge is horrific or exactly like Future Pinball at the moment. This is a David Folley based release to sell more Pinball Wizard controllers and the Pinball Wizard controller is also for Future Pinball. If I understand correctly, FP and VP come with this controller, which might explain the nudging, but it is terrible.

I think non-cabinent players will eventually get some use out of this version, as I think it's still being worked on, but for now.... You would need to have 2 seperate VIP downloads. One for VP8 and one for VP9.

VP9 has some great new features and it appears to have fixed the ball thru the flipper and improved alot of things, but it is basically for the cabinet player at the moment. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking VP9 as I think it will eventually be great, I'm just trying to explain to you why you would need 2 VIP versions or just a VP8 one, because if you can use VP9 at the moment, you are probably skilled enough to set it up on your own.

Thanks Bob and McD, thats interesting and very important.

Questions:

Exactly how can it have a negative effect to have 2 VP builds in 1 folder? Exactly what does that affect and how? (Thats exactly what i feared and already asked in my first post.)

And could a second folder be used (perhaps called 'VP9') that contains its own set of VP related folders or is there something that would make this not work too?

I really cant look into it myself right now because im still having a cold and my head feels accordingly. (I can hardly breathe through my nose and feel very sick.) Hence it would be cool if you could kind of lend me a hand this time and provide me the specifics because the compiling itself is quickly done once i know what has to go in. And that i can manage,...

Problems are the two VP EXE's overriding each others settings AFAIK which might screw up one version.

Two folders might solve the problem, I never looked too much into it and never even had that problem.

The McD

I still didnt get around to checking out VP9, but if possible i want to get the VIP update over with this weekend. Hence a couple of questions in case you can help:

Lets say VP8 is the main executable, meaning the one that is installed as the one the .vpt files are being associated with. Now lets say i run a table in VP8, exit, and run it in VP9. Can that lead to any problems? And will the same table still run O.K. when i run it in VP8 again? Any experiences in that regard you could share?

Likewise, what happens if i run a table first in VP9 and later decide to run it in VP8. Will it still run O.K. or will something be broken? And what if i go back from 8 to 9?

I guess what im trying to figure out is whether it would be worth the trouble to integrate a VP9 executable at this point at all. I think if all tables run O.K. in VP8 and VP9 would only be a risk anyway then there is no actual need for that, so i could simply put in the Nanotec version of 8 to make the VIP compatible for PinballWizard players and users who want to experiment could still get a copy of 9 elsewhere so that the VIP stays as 'idiotproof' as possible.

Like a wise man once asked: Which path should i follow?

Hurm, I had to think about that a bit (don't have VP installed here). And I think that there shouldn't be any problems with the tables themselves unless you screw around with the settings.

The main thing in VP9 is that the ball is bigger, so some ramps from VP8 tables won't work anymore. I think it would be best to still leave VP9 out, updates are happening in about a two-week-rhythm and it's still quite buggy. Put it in once we actually get the worst problems out (some video cards aren't supported, some cards change VP9's behavior, etc.). If you leave it at that, we'll just get some more newbies asking how to install VP8 and we'll redirect them to a tutorial or something.

Short version: Putting VP9 in side by side with VP8 will cause more problems than it will help. Putting VP9 in alone is even worse.

The McD

The only problem I have come across when using VP9 & 8 is that sometimes when I play a 16x9 table in vp9 and play the same table from the 8.1 version the DMD is rotated 90 degrees. The only way I have found to correct the DMD is to delete the NVram file.

KEG

Thank you very much McD, Keg, that was the info i was looking for.

I will go with my original 'Plan-B' then and put a zipped copy of VP9 plus a ReadMe that describes the risks into an extra folder. VP8 will be the Nanotech version to ensure PinballWizard support.

Thank you very much McD, Keg, that was the info i was looking for.

I will go with my original 'Plan-B' then and put a zipped copy of VP9 plus a ReadMe that describes the risks into an extra folder. VP8 will be the Nanotech version to ensure PinballWizard support.

I dont know about the Nanotech version of 8 have not tried it. I hope it does not mess up game-pads like VP9 does. I don't play VP 9.x because I cant use xpadder with my xbxox 360 controller. It seems the Pinball wizard support does not work with game pads. If you use one the ball just floats around the table.

If anybody has a fix for this I would appreciate some help.

so i could simply put in the Nanotec version of 8 to make the VIP compatible for PinballWizard players and users who want to experiment could still get a copy of 9 elsewhere so that the VIP stays as 'idiotproof' as possible.

Like a wise man once asked: Which path should i follow?
I wouldn't put the nanotech vp8.1693 into it, since its older than the vp8.9506 that is currently in use it may cause troubles. And it probably does mess up with gamepads connected.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back