Bally Solved Space Invaders (Bally, 1980) problem

jim1968

Pinball Wizard
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
bally, space invaders
Hi, the machine fires up ok, goes through setup sequence, but won't let me start a game, self test shows no faults and start button switch and circuit to main board checked ok too, any idea's? thanks, jim.

Solution
Bally space invades problem

Just to let you know.

I can't believe what the problem was, it took me hours with the test meter to find it, but it turned out to be the tiny little 'r' shaped spring clip inside the multi connector onto the MPU that makes the connection with the pin, and it was the red wire with yellow trace that comes from the credit/ start button.

Many thanks to 'sleepy', who indirectly pointed me in the right direction.

I've just got to sort a few other minor issues out now, so I might be back here soon.
Is the machine set to "Free Play" or for Credits?

Does the coin slot work? The coin slot might need cleaning or adjusted. Often there is a trip wire in the slot that might need to be repositioned. This wire makes contact with the credits circuit when the coin pushes it against the contact while dropping through the slot.

Is the Credits window displaying the amount of credits? Should be an electro-"Whooshing" sound when adding each coin.

Is the pricing per game set to one coin per credit or is it set higher?
Most Space Invaders I've played wanted two quarters/tokens per game while some locations may have set the machine to 4 tokens/quarters per game, so be aware. You of course should be able to reset the pricing.

Last edited:
Hi, Thank you for the message!! believe it or not, this is the first time I ever used a forum of any kind.

The machine is set up for free play (sort of) I open the door and trip the piece of wire on the coin slot switch you mentioned, and it did make the sound. I already had a copy of the user manual, and checked the dip switches for credits per coin and max credits, which the display is showing the max 40 credits.
THE BIG problem now is, after playing with it nearly all night, checking for bad switches, connectors and wiring etc, I think I may have killed it all together, probably with static to one of the chips (U9,U10 or U11) as now, it does nothing, and the green LED stays on all the time without flashing even once.

If you have any more advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Jim.

Bally space invades problem

Just to let you know.

I can't believe what the problem was, it took me hours with the test meter to find it, but it turned out to be the tiny little 'r' shaped spring clip inside the multi connector onto the MPU that makes the connection with the pin, and it was the red wire with yellow trace that comes from the credit/ start button.

Many thanks to 'sleepy', who indirectly pointed me in the right direction.

I've just got to sort a few other minor issues out now, so I might be back here soon.

Solution
Space Invaders Pinball Problems

I just bought a Space Invaders pinball machine and it seems to be going through the same problem. It worked fine for about a week then the problem with the score panels powering off and some of the leds going out. When I power it off then try and start it up the green light flashes then something clicks and that is all the further it goes. I started it up fine after a few days then it did it again. I don't know anything about pinball machines and would like to see if there is anything I can try doing myself before calling someone in. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back