Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
AFM
https://www.ravarcade.pl/files/BAM_v1.5-312.zip
https://www.ravarcade.pl/files/bam-setup.exe
https://www.ravarcade.pl/files/BAM-OpenVR.zip

- spotlights (added in v308)
- camera position can be now read in script (xBAM.Camera.Position)
- script can disable yellow text messages from script (xBAM.SuppressLoadMessages = True)
- script can disable/enable flipper/ball shadows with xBAM.EnableShadows = False / xBAM.EnableShadows = True
- script can force control over camer (without visible request to user) with xBAM.Camera.RequestForControl True (notice: True argument)
- script can control bumper glow and color like for other LightExt objects (bulbs, flasher, lights)

Last edited:
xBAM.Camera.RequestForControl True <-- Pretty sure this will be used often :)

I know I already did ;)

@ravarcade

There seems to be something from the newer BAM updates affecting Halloween Ultimate Pro. The launch scoop prevents the ball from entering it correctly.

1600058019498.png

Older BAM versions (1.5-295) don't have the problem and the ball enters no problem.

I've tried some older BAM Versions, last BAM without that problem was 1.5-301

Many thanks Rav,for this new Bam.?
by the way...where is your explanation regarding the spotlight?

Last edited:
Thanks for the new options on the bumper lights. I used the code on the "Road Girls" table. You might want to try it. I also used the "xBAM.Camera.AspectRatio" code you told me about on the menu system to select which overlay to use for desktops or cabinets.

I agree.
Personally, I'm still trying to figure out if I like it or not. To me the tables seem faster, with less friction with BAM_v313.

Not bad if you ask me and easily corrected in XML.

To be totally honest, I personally think we need the flippers to shoot more straight up without resorting to Yoffset.
By default there's a huge tendency for the ball to "drift" in the X axis and I don't think the offset is a good solution or even workaround.

Of course, we may have to live with that. I'm only a user and have no knowledge of FP internals. I'd like to here more about this, if possible, even if only to satisfy my curiosity.

Guys.... he just undid the change he added in 312.... so it's back to how it's always been like before.

@TerryRed, yep, that is what he wrote about in the release notes. True.

Speaking for myself, though, I immediately felt the changes in TOTAN v1.9. he table is faster and has even weaker slingshots and same for the kicker. I actually wrote to GeorgeH right after he posted TOTAN about this so I clearly noticed changes and I did so in the first seconds of play.
I'm pretty sure TOTAN and now Black Knight and Bally Spectrum (tables I know very well) are faster. Actually, Bally Spectrum has a nasty dead center kicker at the top that without me changing anything, is now somewhat easier and the ball doesn't slowdown as much coming down to the drain saving a few more balls. I did over 1mil in this table yesterday!

Something did change, *for me* and I can say for the better now. except the flippers that i'd love to know how they work physics wise.

@ravarcade

The physics on BAM 313 really do seem a bit different now. Are you sure the physics are back to the way they were before BAM 312?

George

In v312 (and few recent betas) space for table physics was added +1m on axis: +x, -x, +y
in v313 it was set back to prev values on +x, -x, but on +y it still was set to +1m
Here is v314 it is reseted to same space like it was v301 and older versions (~5 years back).
Yoy may try if you see change. I don't, because i play FP less than 5 minutes / week.

Attachments

• BAM.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
@ravarcade

Just tested v314, v312 and back to v313 and personally speaking, I had no problems in any of them but you know better so I accept your decision, obviously.

But I have to ask if even v313 with just 1m(egabyte?) of added table space for +y axix breaks FP too. I ask because I really like how v313 feels but if it has to go, so be it :)

Thanks for your work on BAM.

The thing to keep in mind guys... it's more than just the "feel"... but the possibility of breaking many tables (Halloween being an example). So making any adjustment is risky as it's possible to have many tables no longer working correctly at all (gameplay is broken)...and could need big changes.... but you may not know until you've tried every table.

I'll say you're right on principle (and I 100% agree with you) but in this particular case... I'm on the fence. Especially because the lack of reactions even knowing there a a million reasons for that; starting with real life getting in the way.

Regarding Halloween it's a shame I can't test it because I'm terrible at it. But did you find it broken in any way or was just an hypothesis of being broken?

Don't worry though as I'm sure even 313 for some reason breaks something in FP and ravarcade will leave it at that. Still hoping it's not the case though :D

PS: as a funny remark only, this type of situation is what we call at work "the pet cancers" :D

With Halloween... with the previous update, the plunger lane scoop/kicker literally would no longer allow the ball to go into it at all. It would hit it and bounce back down (not normal behaviour).

I understand. But with 313/314 I have no problems sending the ball into play.

In any case, I think we agree on leave it at that and move forward to 314 then.

When I tried playing Tales of the Arabian Nights the first time using BAM 313, I wandered who changed the physics on my table. Of course, I didn't know at the time it was BAM 313. If we were to convert to using BAM 313, I think I would have to adapt my XML's to match. So TerryRed is right in that there is some risk in converting. Slamt1lt would probably be upset to have all his tables change because of this.

...But then I tried BAM 313 and 314 on a couple of Physics 1.0 tables (Dead Hunters and Big Guns) and BAM 313 performed much better. The difference is dramatic. Anyone would notice it.

Perhaps @ravarcade could make it switchable between the new and the old. It would need to default to the old but be switchable somehow to the new. Maybe add some new code in the XML. So if you decide to use it on all your Physics 1.0 tables, you could switch it on in your default XML. It is just an idea,

Now that you mentioned it, I actually noticed it in Seawitch. Especially regarding aiming and general feel (no more glaciar pace ball movement makes all the difference). I have to try some others with 313 now :)

Forgive me to ask this but since not everyone speaks english natively, what exactly means "break"in this context? Are we talking FP crashing or "breaking" the tables physics to the point they have to be edited too much to work? And by that, I don't mean author's preference style. I mean, really making the table unplayable. Using Halloween example above, to me, it's near perfect regarding gameplay pace.

If it is the latter, PLEASE @ravarcade, find a way so we can have both :)

@ravarcade

I was wandering how difficult it would be to produce a stretched version of DMDs and segmented displays. As you know, HUDs are stretched apart when used on a desktop at 0 degrees screen rotation. But then they are squeezed together on a pinball cabinet set at 270 degrees screen roation. I managed to figure out a way of making overlays work on desktops and pincabs by squeezing the desktop together and stretching the pincabs apart. Maybe we can do the same for DMDs and segmented displays.

I am not sure everyone realizes it but there is some distortion even on the desktop HUD. The screenshot below shows a DMD from Jurassic Park. The top DMD is on the HUD and the bottom one is on the backglass:

1600710419201.png

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: HZR has posted a new reply in the thread "Complete list of VB commands".
      Back