• We have added Language Translations for French, Italian and Spanish menus, you can change your language at the bottom of every page, bottom left in the footer.
  • Spanish (Español, Latin American) translations have been added for the Forums and Resource Manager (Downloads). You can change your Language Here!

BAM BAM Update v317

Gramps

Pinball Nudger
I put the pup-pack back and disabled the PinEvent pup options as you instructed. No PuP screens are showing up. I also reinstalled BAM as instructed by you all.

It's still hanging up at "Found:DarthVadar".The Future Pinball loading screen closes before going to "Searching for Models" then "Found:DarthVadar". I press alt +tab keys and it shows the FP loading screen with the Microsoft Visual ++ error. The bottom of the FP loading screen shows "Processing Registry Entries"

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
It may not help but when I make a change like that I found that deleting the fpRam file for the table sometimes helps fix things.

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard
@ravarcade

Something I wondered about. For Custom Models and mini playfields.... How is performance affected when a Custom Model or mini playfield is set to a scale of 0, versus setting the custom model to visible = false?

I didn't realize I could have used visible = false for Custom models when I made SW DSA Epic Space Battles. I just made the mini playfields set to scale of 0.

I've also been "hiding" custom models inside the cabinet or beneath the "floor" for my Halloween update.

Would it be more efficient to set a custom model to visible = false? Is the model being "rendered" still in each case (mp scale = 0, custom model scale = 0, visible = false) and affecting the gpu?

1603804065651.png

Gramps

Pinball Nudger
It may not help but when I make a change like that I found that deleting the fpRam file for the table sometimes helps fix things.
Thanks for the suggestion George. Unfortunately it didn't help. Still hanging up on "Searching for Models"

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard
Thanks for the suggestion George. Unfortunately it didn't help. Still hanging up on "Searching for Models"
If you have another HDD... try installing FP-BAM to that drive, copy the table file over and PinEvent vbs files there where they belong (Scripts folder), and see if it works from there. Some people got it to work doing this. Again... probably a result of FP-BAM being blocked or restricted by Windows somehow.

Gramps

Pinball Nudger
If you have another HDD... try installing FP-BAM to that drive, copy the table file over and PinEvent vbs files there where they belong (Scripts folder), and see if it works from there. Some people got it to work doing this. Again... probably a result of FP-BAM being blocked or restricted by Windows somehow.
I do have other external drive and will try that Terry. I'm curious though, why would only this table have anything blocked? I've totally shut down Windows Defender (and make sure it's still shut down after any Windows updates and I'm always checking to make sure it's shut down) and only run Norton. I have Norton setup to unblock everything on that drive. I've also tried running the table with Norton shut down entirely.

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard
I can only tell you what others have tried. I've never had a problem running any table.

BAM's newer features may somehow be seen as doing something Windows doesn't like somehow. Who knows...

Gramps

Pinball Nudger
And I don't have a problem running any other table, including all the other pinevent tables, just this one. So are you saying that maybe the advanced features in this table are using some of BAM's newer features that none of the other tables are using?

I forget to add before that I already have everything installed and running from an external HDD, but I'll try running it from a second external HDD.

Gramps

Pinball Nudger
And loading custom Models appears to be where the the table is hanging up. Also appears that it's something that C++ doesn't like because that's the error I finally get.

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard

ravarcade

Pinball Wizard
@ravarcade

Something I wondered about. For Custom Models and mini playfields.... How is performance affected when a Custom Model or mini playfield is set to a scale of 0, versus setting the custom model to visible = false?

I didn't realize I could have used visible = false for Custom models when I made SW DSA Epic Space Battles. I just made the mini playfields set to scale of 0.

I've also been "hiding" custom models inside the cabinet or beneath the "floor" for my Halloween update.

Would it be more efficient to set a custom model to visible = false? Is the model being "rendered" still in each case (mp scale = 0, custom model scale = 0, visible = false) and affecting the gpu?

View attachment 15681
General rule about performance. Don't ask, just do benchmark.

If model don't have animation, it will don't make big difference. There is very little work to do on CPU side to draw and GPU is efficient in removing not visible objects.

If model have animation it will be better to disable it.

Another way to look at problem: if you have one object and it is sometimes visible, sometimes not, you don't want to see performance difference. Switching between 30 & 60 FPS will be more annoying than constant 30FPS.

... and another way: if you have 10 models and only 1 is visible at time, when it is better to disable 9 not visible models.

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard
I did 2015 2017 and 2019 and then x86 and x64. Am I supposed to do any years before that? And I don't see anything about 32 bit?
Oh gramps... :)

x86 = 32 bit

Yes, you should do all the other years and service packs, to be sure you have them all installed, just in case (x86 and x64 for all, then reboot). Many PC games will install these during their own install just incase your system doesn't have them. Having only the newer years installed isn't enough for all games.

Gramps

Pinball Nudger
Oh gramps... :)

x86 = 32 bit

Yes, you should do all the other years and service packs, to be sure you have them all installed, just in case (x86 and x64 for all, then reboot). Many PC games will install these during their own install just incase your system doesn't have them. Having only the newer years installed isn't enough for all games.
LMAO ! I've only been doing computer stuff (building networking programming etc) since the mid 70's. That's one brain cell that's been destroyed for sure. I know you want to bash my stubborn head in, but if I didn't think this (and all your other creations) was such an awesome table, I would have given up LONG ago! Thanks for hanging in there with me.

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard
LMAO ! I've only been doing computer stuff (building networking programming etc) since the mid 70's. That's one brain cell that's been destroyed for sure. I know you want to bash my stubborn head in, but if I didn't think this (and all your other creations) was such an awesome table, I would have given up LONG ago! Thanks for hanging in there with me.

This link has a much nicer "all in one" installer for every Visual C++ you'd need.

Gramps

Pinball Nudger
That was MUCH nicer TerryRed! Thank you. I really had high hope for that. Unfortunately, still getting the C++ error :(

Gramps

Pinball Nudger
Did you update to the latest 1.5-318 of BAM. Its needed for that table.
I did. Halloween Bloody Mike works. Star Wars is still hanging up on "Searching for Models" with the C++ Runtime error. I did update using the nicer updater link you supplied.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.