Bumper Pool and Billiards (Original)

Flipperless Original Table BAM FP Bumper Pool and Billiards (Original) v2.0 BAM

No permission to download
Future Pinball
ok,small adjustment to the demo, there was an incorrect parameter adjusted it....109 to 135
If CueGo= 5 then
Stecca.MoveTo -17.5,26.87,135,50
TimerCueGo.set true, 500
End if

this will help to understand better

Catturax.JPG

so every time you put the cue back,of one point, you will always have to press F9, and copy the coordinates

the last movement is the one that puts the cue at the starting point
If CueGo= 6 then

Stecca.MoveTo -17.5,26.87,22,500
TimerCueGo.set false

obviously to make everything work as you want, you have to play around, with the timers, and the speed of the model

-------------------TX---- TY----TZ----SPEED
Stecca.MoveTo -17.5, 26.87, 109, 50
TimerCueGo.set true, 250

I hope I have been clear and helpful;)

Last edited:
Sounds great I was testing this morning and I believe I can capture your animations in a miniplayfield box and they translate automatically with BAM Rotations as I hoped

ok here is an update demo to try if you wish.

Note:
Use arrow keys to move cue left and right
use down arrow to swing cue 180 degrees
use up arrow to shoot...hold down and release when you want to alter strength of shoot

use "M" key to turn aiming arrow on/off
use special1 or special2 key to change table view

I used Paolo's back and forth pool cue animation and as expected it translates within a miniplayfield quite well.
What I mean by this :
1. if you code a simple forward and back toy pool cue animation
2. and then grab the toy pool cue in a "miniplayfield" box
3. and then if you rotate the "miniplayfield" box around the table or move anywhere
4.then then the back and forth animation works regardless of the new position ...very cool !
5.this saves so much time as trying to figure out the back and forth animation after the fact based on pool cue location around the table would be impossible to calculate the math...at least for me.

I correlated the pool cue back and forth position relative to shot strength.

I have also added a magnet code to drain all the balls once the 8 ball is sunk and to drain the cue ball once all the balls are sunk , in order to reset table for next game....still a little buggy but it works :)

I am using the Bam.dll in this zip file:

Attachments

• Billiards2-rav12.fpt
    31.8 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
@wild
@TerryRed
@GeorgeH
@polygame
@Gin
@Ike Savage
@JonPurpleHaze
@AnonTet
@madmrmax

Hi Gang!
I thought you may be interested in the progress of this still very rough WIP Billiard Sim. See above for playable demo
Rav continues to provide invaluable support. I am confident Billiards is definitely doable now. So this could be a springboard for Snooker and Bumper Pool etc...

Although I think my next Flipperless attempt will be Crokinole... :)

ToDo:
1. Code the rules of 8 Ball Game play
2.Code player 1 and player 2 turns
3. Continue to refine physics
4. Somehow get rid of the white translite artifact
5. I will need to modify the table model or get a better one as the pockets on it are gigantic and the game play is too easy.
6. further refinements to the pool cue animation...it looks a little wonky from certain angles. I have set the cue angle very high to clear the table cushion from most perspectives and it is static...I may try to code a dynamic angle of pool cue based on cue ball location and table view chosen...
7.Rav is considering BAM coding for Ball to Ball collisions...in order to determine which ball is hit first...otherwise it will be left player discretion and honesty like in real pool....
8.Also we still haven't worked on "english" or deliberately choosing ball spin

Last edited:
@Gimli
This is version 294. Where should we look for the latest version? Or is this a beta version, not yet recommended for general use hence not in Ravarcade's website.
Rav apparently updates inclusively so if the date in the bottom right corner is more recent than your current version then it is a more advanced version beta or official and it is preferred. Rav may be developing betas behind the scenes for any of us...so keep track of the version and date. Betas are not officially posted anywhere.

Nice....if you need some help, tell me, I don't have to tell you every time?

5. I will need to modify the table model or get a better one as the pockets on it are gigantic and the game play is too easy.

4)strange that you didn't use MP to make it disappear?
since you have an all black background, you could put a wall in front, with black color, or use the custon texture function
sub SetTextureXXXXXOff(textureName1)
xBAM.SetTexture "XXXXXX", textureName1
End Sub

5) can I do something if you want?

Nice....if you need some help, tell me, I don't have to tell you every time?

4)strange that you didn't use MP to make it disappear?
since you have an all black background, you could put a wall in front, with black color, or use the custon texture function
sub SetTextureXXXXXOff(textureName1)
xBAM.SetTexture "XXXXXX", textureName1
End Sub

5) can I do something if you want?
Thanks Paolo. I will ask you to help after I implement the 8 ball rules.

Very cool stuff Gimli. I love seeing you push FP to do different things using BAM features!

Because you have nothing else to think about: /sarcasm

Cue ball speed. Is it possible to control the cue strength?
Cue ball effects- Is it possible with cue ball contact point divided like -> # ? More than enough for pool although not enough for snooker or 3 cushion billiards :wink: :wink: say no more :D

It is a very nice exercise on what's possible, much like the rat maze table and such a different and good way to use BAM! I'm impressed. Every day more so with what you guys can think, and more importantly, do!

Because you have nothing else to think about: /sarcasm

Cue ball speed. Is it possible to control the cue strength?
Cue ball effects- Is it possible with cue ball contact point divided like -> # ? More than enough for pool although not enough for snooker or 3 cushion billiards :wink: :wink: say no more :D

It is a very nice exercise on what's possible, much like the rat maze table and such a different and good way to use BAM! I'm impressed. Every day more so with what you guys can think, and more importantly, do!
Yes if you try demo the further back you pull the cue the stronger the cue ball speed and strength

I wrote before I even downloaded the table. I work from home so real work comes first :)

I've downloaded the table because as a fan of the sport I had to and now I wonder how far can you take it.

Is it me or FP has a limit on width and length? At least my .exe seems to do so.

@wild
@Ike Savage
@AnonTet
@polygame
@TerryRed
@GeorgeH

I wrote before I even downloaded the table. I work from home so real work comes first :)

I've downloaded the table because as a fan of the sport I had to and now I wonder how far can you take it.

Is it me or FP has a limit on width and length? At least my .exe seems to do so.
If you mean the actual width and length...using the current code provide by Rav. the width and length is confined by
the FP table surface area confined by dotted lines in the table editor.

However if you use "miniplayfield" techniques then you have whatever length and width you design and ball size with scale appropriately.
But the code Rav gave me for tracking the "globalposition" of the Cue ball does not work inside a movable , scalable miniplayfield.

You can change the visible width and length by coding different camera views.
Currently I am only working on Desktop version (As cab version has a different Camera Field of View)
Even still I notice a difference between my various desktop computers...

But using Special1 or special2 key will give you 4 different views to attack table from different perspectives.
In the Sub CameraSwap() code you will see this:
Code:
xBAM.Camera.DesktopSet   235,  1400,   718.5,   235,   500,       0,      40,     400
The second last number 40 is the field of view ( a smaller number zooms in and a larger number zooms out)

Here is the current state of the WIP.
1. I tweaked the camera views a little
2. I added a DMD for Player 1 and Player 2 status
3. I started coding the Rules. It will assign Spots or Stripes to Player who breaks based on which is sunk first
4. If player sinks spots when he should be going for Stripes it will switch to other player or when he scratches on the cue ball.
5. If you press "B" on keyboard it switch turns to other player
6. Player will lose game if he sinks 8 ball prematurely
7. Player will win game if he sinks all of spots or stripes and then the 8 Ball
8. The table will reset when game is over...but this is very buggy still.
9. I got rid of the translite artefact from previous versions.

I still have to fine tune the rules considerably and the table is way too easy....

Again use these keys to play:
1. left and right arrow to aim
2. down arrow to rotate cue 180 degrees
3. up arrow to shoot, hold for different strengths
4. "M" but for turning aiming arrow on/off
5. Special 1 or 2 for change camera view
6. "B" to change turn to other player

Attachments

• Billiards2-rav15.fpt
    31.8 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Yes I meant the overall area. Just as I though then.

Downloaded the new version. I think i'm having issues with rendering.
DMD is not showing in translite (shows as HUD and barely visible) and the table cloth now renders white. Same as a problem I had 2 days ago; white translite (not applying textures).

I think i-m better off not giving or testing anything before I solve this.

Yes I meant the overall area. Just as I though then.

Downloaded the new version. I think i'm having issues with rendering.
DMD is not showing in translite (shows as HUD and barely visible) and the table cloth now renders white. Same as a problem I had 2 days ago; white translite (not applying textures).

I think i-m better off not giving or testing anything before I solve this.

Make sure you have Playfield Reflections(components) enabled in FP video settings

The DMD is funny position for me too on one of my computers until I change camera view with "Special1 key"
There is no translite....the DMD will appear like a hud DMD but it isn't . I have it floating and I scale and rotate it based on camera view

You assign the Special1 and Special2 keys under FP key settings menu from table editor....

Oh I though it would be automatic but I set table type in bottom right of table editor to "BallyHoo" whatever that is :)

Minor update. I increased magnet strength when reseting table and it seems to work better now....

Attachments

• Billiards2-rav16.fpt
    31.8 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
All this time lost testing render options...

Well, I discovered that with that on v15 and v16 crash to desktop. Without that option I have the "white table issue. But if I disabled Playfield reflections, then the render problems on other tables go away. so i'm not sure it's an option I want enabled :)

This time the white ball seems to have more forward motion too and it "keeps" rolling taking longer to stop.

To me it looks like you can see in attach look at the weird "shadows" too.

Attachments

• Billiards2-rav16.png
    Billiards2-rav16.png
    608.8 KB · Views: 98
So with
All this time lost testing render options...

Well, I discovered that with that on v15 and v16 crash to desktop. Without that option I have the "white table issue. But if I disabled Playfield reflections, then the render problems on other tables go away. so i'm not sure it's an option I want enabled :)

This time the white ball seems to have more forward motion too and it "keeps" rolling taking longer to stop.

To me it looks like you can see in attach look at the weird "shadows" too.

Here is an slight update...with a timer that should make it go to camera view one after you 'Allow Camera Control" with flippers

If you set FP video setting to "maximum" do you have rendering issues ?
And Also under FP "editor Options" make sure everything is unchecked , especially "load image into table editor"

The actual Game physics and Roll of Cue ball is something that we can tweak separately

In terms of the Shadow artefact that can be altered or disabled either by code or in BAM Advanced menu options , under "Addons/Ball Config"

Attachments

• Billiards2-rav17.fpt
    31.8 MB · Views: 106
My settings are at maximum except render game room, playfield reflections (crashes this table and other problems in other tables) and mirror playfield into ball because its barely noticeable while playing.

Editor Options are all disabled (by default install)

Setting the ball shadows in BAM to 0 makes no difference for artifacts!

Also tried to enable st3c (compressed textures) and / or enable non power of 2 textures... same thing except it takes longer to load with the latter enabled.

v15 now crashes and has the render issue too with playfield reflections on/off respectively...

Edit: so v15, 16 an 17 all present the same issues.

My settings are at maximum except render game room, playfield reflections (crashes this table and other problems in other tables) and mirror playfield into ball because its barely noticeable while playing.

Editor Options are all disabled (by default install)

Setting the ball shadows in BAM to 0 makes no difference for artifacts!

Also tried to enable st3c (compressed textures) and / or enable non power of 2 textures... same thing except it takes longer to load with the latter enabled.

v15 now crashes and has the render issue too with playfield reflections on/off respectively...

Edit: so v15, 16 an 17 all present the same issues.
Thanks for you help testing AnonTet....try this verision...it has the playfield image set a "poolfelt" . The pockets don't look right but now you should see green at least ?

Attachments

• Billiards2-rav18.fpt
    31.8 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I can see the green felt again but I still can't enable the playfield reflections as it still crashes FP to desktop. Only happens on this table so I'm very curious about why. Maybe because felt doesn't have reflective properties is the only thing I can think of.

I can see the green felt again but I still can't enable the playfield reflections as it still crashes FP to desktop. Only happens on this table so I'm very curious about why. Maybe because felt doesn't have reflective properties is the only thing I can think of.
Does it crash if you turn playfield reflections off ?
What version of BAM (mine has the date of June 14 Version 1.5-294 in bottom right corner of BAM menu

BAM version 1.5-294 14Jun2020 - that's the one

It crashes if I have "Playfield Reflections" ON.

BAM version 1.5-294 14Jun2020 - that's the one

It crashes if I have "Playfield Reflections" ON.
Ok thanks
So as long as reflections are off it works ok ?

Yes, with v18.

Ok I have been diverted by Rav's new amazing Model importer...that keeps making glorious innovations

but I have been also slowly working on 8 Ball.

1.I found (purchased a better table model) that is much better
2. Make sure you are using the most recent BAM
3.Make sure you go to Future pinball key settings and set Special1 key or Special2 key (either will work) This allows you to rotate the camera view.
4. Use "B" on your keyboard to switch player (The AI is flawed ....it is a work in progress)
5.Once Cue ball has stopped Rolling if you press "M" key on/off it will toggle the aiming arrow
6. Use the left and right arrow keys for aiming
7.use the down arrow to flp
pool cue
around for faster aiming
8.Hold and release the the "up Arrow" as you see fit for shooting the ball, you can control the strength of impact based on when you release the button.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
To Do.
1. Work on the AI and the Rules
2.There are numerous bugs I am aware of
3.I will try to come up with a way to change the camera view to coincide precisely with the line of view of your shot. Currently it just gives 4 different camera angle option.
4, Continue to work on the physics ( so many parameters to play with Ball Mass, Gravity, Friction, Elasticity etc...)
5 Consider how to come with Masse spins on cue ball....apparently Newton physics allows for this but I haven't bothered to explore this yet....

Attachments

• BilliardsAug8.fpt
    34.7 MB · Views: 87
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back