Clarification of classifications (sts!)

tudnut

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Okay, John, I admit to being a bit confused. I just read a tantalizing first paragraph on the home page that I just HAD to read farther into, and finally comment upon...and figured it was offered as a "come on" to the forum...yet I'm completely unable to find it anywhere in here.

Is it perhaps an "article?" Is it a...well, whatever else you might have besides a forum post or an article?! lol

At any rate, there doesn't seem to be any indication on the home page of what it is, or where to find it (or my retort to it...or, worse yet, any retorts to mine in the future!).

(Heck, I was going to refer to it in my thread over on vpforums...and I don't even know where to steer people, given that I know it won't be on the home page forever!)

I'm confused. (And, since this is the "site suggestion" forum, I hope you understand that I'm hinting that you do something to alleviate said confusion!)

Of course, there remains the good possibility that I've overlooked the obvious once again, in which case my apologies.

Upvote 0
I was confused as well, thanks for pointing this problem out!

The "Are Pinball Games Too Complex?" Article was never assigned a category and therefore did not appear where it should under Pinball Articles. It was never mean't to be a forum post. It's been corrected and now appears under Pinball Articles and Thanks for adding your comments!

Here is a direct link:
http://pinballnirvana.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PagEd&file=index&page_id=64

tudnut said:
Okay, John, I admit to being a bit confused. I just read a tantalizing first paragraph on the home page that I just HAD to read farther into, and finally comment upon...and figured it was offered as a "come on" to the forum...yet I'm completely unable to find it anywhere in here.

Is it perhaps an "article?" Is it a...well, whatever else you might have besides a forum post or an article?! lol

At any rate, there doesn't seem to be any indication on the home page of what it is, or where to find it (or my retort to it...or, worse yet, any retorts to mine in the future!).

(Heck, I was going to refer to it in my thread over on vpforums...and I don't even know where to steer people, given that I know it won't be on the home page forever!)

I'm confused. (And, since this is the "site suggestion" forum, I hope you understand that I'm hinting that you do something to alleviate said confusion!)

Of course, there remains the good possibility that I've overlooked the obvious once again, in which case my apologies.

Glad you made it only here Tudnut. As for that article, and the other two, they're more than just a "come on", but a continuation of the commitment JonPurpleHaze and I had when we co=founded this site a few years back. We both are interested in the history and lore of pinball, and those articles reflect that. And you are right that they are rotated in and out, and usually are posted permanently.

But since you asked, I have added the article, and you reply, to the Reviews section, which you can access from the left side menu bar. And yes, you can link to the aritcle or refer to it, whichever you are wanting to do. But there's a lot more to the site than meets the eye. You might want to explore a bit, starting with our Image Gallery, which number over 3500 images, including all of the paper mini pins that VP members have made. Hope you find PN to your liking,

John

Still not sure you totally understand, John...what I tried to infer was that, if something is posted on your home page, one should instantly know where to find it elsewhere. (Or at least that was my suggestion.)

By the way, nice meeting you finally, Jon!

And, Jon, just found out that your "link" to that article...was just a link to ALL the articles. Lots of luck finding any one article in all that. (I still couldn't find it...but I've had a few beers...!) I'm really not trying to be the fly in the ointment here, but if you're going to post things for people to find...I should think people should be able to find them.

Welcome tudnut! :cheers:

The above link is a direct link to the "Are Pinball Games Too Complex?" Pinball Article found in the Pinball Articles section. When John added it, it was homeless except for the front page, thanks to you it has a home!

I agree about the Pinball Articles section, they are set for a user to be able to sort them but it's not working for me.

Jon

Yeah, that Pinball Article section never has seemed to work as expected. I could add everything I post to the front page to the Reviews section that does work properly. The only problem there is that means I have to double up everything since our interface to the front page doesn't work with the Reviews section. That's the one thing I liked about our original site, we had a really great article system. All in all this is a much better site though. Plus this site is a bit like plug and play, where the old Magic oF Flipperless used a program I can;t remember the name of which gave me headaches trying to use it correctly. It's been an interesting 2 1/2 years plus folks.

John

tiltjlp said:
Yeah, that Pinball Article section never has seemed to work as expected. I could add everything I post to the front page to the Reviews section that does work properly. The only problem there is that means I have to double up everything since our interface to the front page doesn't work with the Reviews section. That's the one thing I liked about our original site, we had a really great article system. All in all this is a much better site though. Plus this site is a bit like plug and play, where the old Magic oF Flipperless used a program I can;t remember the name of which gave me headaches trying to use it correctly. It's been an interesting 2 1/2 years plus folks.

John

We were using CoffeCup, then Dreamweaver and now postnuke!
:safesofa:

The Article section works fine, Page Ed releases need to be assigned to a category or they will not have a home, the Reviews section was never intended to be on the front page.
I'll send you a email.

Coffeecup? Please enlighten me...isn't that just for making static pages? (As is Dreamweaver and whatever...) To have a forum, don't you need a provider with such installed already? (Unless, of course, you're an amazing whiz at coding...and have a provider willing to allow such.)

Oops. That above poster was me, I'd been logged off again. (By the way, yes, the link does work now. Haven't been back to pbf yet tonight to see if they're back on again yet, but if I do refer back here, it'll work fine now! Thanks!)

Yes tdnut, CoffeCup was cool and John has been thru a ringer or 2...

what is pbf?

To have a forum, don't you need a provider with such installed already? (Unless, of course, you're an amazing whiz at coding...and have a provider willing to allow such.)

No, the forums here are the open source PNphpBB2 old version heavilly hacked by moi, my provider did not provide the forum and the data was originally on a different server and domain name, I was able to transfer stuff to this joint via some smart dudes on their forums. I'm afraid to upgrade because of all the mods I've implemented. shiva is the one that got me started and is qualified to answer "Nuke" questions, I hacked a lot but shiva hacked a Bunch on his old site. It's Open Source and that makes it better than anything commercial, for more info click on the links on the bottom of the page.

A new form of online gaming experience: play by fax.

(Uh, vpf, jon: vp forum. Sorry.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back