F-14 Tomcat – Ultimate Pro – PinEvent (Preview)

TerryRed

Pinball Master
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
My Virtual Pinball Cabinet
F-14 Tomcat – Ultimate Pro – PinEvent (FullDMD Preview)

This is the first look at my PinEvent mod for F14 Tomcat Ultimate Pro for Future Pinball.

This is a preview of what the game’s PuP FullDMD main HUD and Score display will look like (in Ultimate Pro mode) as well as the crazy amount of explosive videos that were timed to match the table’s events, voice overs, and sound effects (the videos themselves have no sound at all).

This doesn’t show the optional Afterburner Music and Arcade mode that you can change in-game on the fly. Very Cool (that will be another video).

Combine this with the crazy DOF and MX Leds and SSF I’ve added… and this is one explosive game!

Feels like you nailed it. But would be better if we could see the whole cab in action ;)

Wow. So... this is designed to complement the Williams 1987 game?

What's the source of this if I may ask, a video game?

I'll have more videos and I will do one showing the cabinet as well with my crazy lighting. :)

Ike, this works with SLAMT1LT's F14 Tomcat Ultimate Pro, which is like the Williams game but supercharged.

This is just like my other PinEvent table mods. It's a modern "DMD" and active video display that can work with cabinets and desktop setups.

The source for the cockpit is DCS World. They had a free trial for the F14 module, so I recorded from that. :)

F-14 Tomcat (Ultimate Pro) - PinEvent (Future Pinball)

"PuP-Pack Options"

My PinEvent mod and PuP-Pack is almost done. I have 7 ready to go PuP-Pack options for every setup out there!
Now when you run the BAT file to choose your PuP-Pack option, you will get an image copied over to show you what your pup-pack option should look like. You also will get a window popping up showing you that the files have been copied, and what settings are needed for that specific PuP-Pack option.

Options are:

Option 0 - DMD, Backglass
Option 1 - Real DMD, Backglass
Option 2 - Full DMD, Backglass
Option 3 - Full DMD on Backglass
Option 4 - Backbox AIO - Square - Speaker Panel, Full DMD, Backglass
Option 5 - Backbox AIO - 4x3 and 5x4 - Speaker Panel, Full DMD, Backglass
Option 6 - PUP Stream - Desktop - FullDMD, Backglass

Coming soon!

Attachments

• BackBox AIO - 4x3 and 5x4.jpg
    BackBox AIO - 4x3 and 5x4.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 70
  • BackBox AIO - Square.jpg
    BackBox AIO - Square.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DMD.jpg
    DMD.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • Full DMD on BG.jpg
    Full DMD on BG.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 65
  • FullDMD.jpg
    FullDMD.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 68
  • PuP Stream - Desktop.jpg
    PuP Stream - Desktop.jpg
    1,020 KB · Views: 70
  • Real DMD.jpg
    Real DMD.jpg
    819.3 KB · Views: 82
F-14 Tomcat (Ultimate Pro) - PinEvent: Afterburner / Arcade Mode!

(OK... one last video before I get around to releasing this)

Just when you thought it couldn't get any cooler... now it's almost like 3 games in one!

You can switch at any time between Ultimate Pro music, Original music, Afterburner music (all using my PuP-Pack videos and PuP FullDMD)...

...but you can also switch to Arcade mode! This uses Afterburner music and Arcade game videos combined with the rest of the Ultimate Pro sounds. If you are like me and grew up loving the Afterburner Arcade cockpit game... you will totally geek out on this.

Combined with my new DOF, explosive MX Leds, SSF, PuP Stream... this makes for an awesome pinball game! I have options for everyone's setup.

This will be released very soon!

Second only o real pinball! Nice one Terry.

F-14 Tomcat Ultimate Pro (PinEvent)

New 4K Playfield scan and RGB Lighting update!

Thanks the ganjafarmer, he let me use his VPX redraw of the playfield (without the shadows since they wouldn't look right with BAM's real lighting and shadowmaps) to give the table a MUCH needed 4K update! It was pretty damn close for lining up with FP's table elements...just a little bit of adjusting, then repositioning all the light inserts! Looks so much better in 4K!

I also wanted to update the the lighting on the table before releasing it. The nice thing about FP tables is you are free to do whatever you want when not using a rom. So I wanted to add RGB lighting to the table. The problem is that when you use a playfield image with a single colour on the inserts (in this case lots of red and blue), that won't work well when changing the colours.

So the solution is to either use separate non coloured images for the inserts on the FP Image lights....or add them directly to the playfield image... then use separate decals for the black text / letters / numbers.

The new lighting is looking amazing guys!

I also added some extremely cool room sized "real" beacon lighting that rotates and affects everything in the game room. This is something only BAM can do, and I've wanted to do it for a long while. I'm happy to report it works really nicely...and I can't wait to show you how it looks... and I really can't wait to add this to Alien Legacy.

1594352804281.png

You will make me move the rig on a weekend to the tv just to see that work of art!

I have a bit of experience with your dilemma. On "Phantom of the Opera", I replaced the playfield texture with a high resolution one. I ended up creating a black, white and gray lens for each light insert and set the color with the light itself using the light color option on FP. The text for the light was black and I pasted it on top of the lens. I saved all the lenses to the playfield texture. The original table had a decal overlay for the text. The problem with it was the black text had a white background and you could see a faint outline of white around all the text when it laid on top of the color lights. That is why I did not use it. My method worked better.

On "Tales of the Arabian Nights", Smoke did just the opposite. He set all the light inserts to the same white color and used the color of the lens to define the color of the light. All the lenses had a black shadow where the text would be placed and he used a decal to add the white text. Since the decal was white text on a black background, the edges of the text did not have a shadow because the text laid on top of a black area on the lens. The main change I made to the lenses was to make some of them brighter because they were too dark.

To my thinking, the way I did it on "Phantom of the Opera" is best for your purposes. It would allow you to change colors of lights in the script without being concerned about the color of the lenses. I think that you should just paste the text for the light on top of the lenses. It beats having a faint outline of white around all the text. The only disadvantage I can see is that pasting the text on top of the lens will make it difficult to change the text later if you wanted to.

I have a bit of experience with your dilemma. On "Phantom of the Opera", I replaced the playfield texture with a high resolution one. I ended up creating a black, white and gray lens for each light insert and set the color with the light itself using the light color option on FP. The text for the light was black and I pasted it on top of the lens. I saved all the lenses to the playfield texture. The original table had a decal overlay for the text. The problem with it was the black text had a white background and you could see a faint outline of white around all the text when it laid on top of the color lights. That is why I did not use it. My method worked better.

On "Tales of the Arabian Nights", Smoke did just the opposite. He set all the light inserts to the same white color and used the color of the lens to define the color of the light. All the lenses had a black shadow where the text would be placed and he used a decal to add the white text. Since the decal was white text on a black background, the edges of the text did not have a shadow because the text laid on top of a black area on the lens. The main change I made to the lenses was to make some of them brighter because they were too dark.

To my thinking, the way I did it on "Phantom of the Opera" is best for your purposes. It would allow you to change colors of lights in the script without being concerned about the color of the lenses. I think that you should just paste the text for the light on top of the lenses. It beats having a faint outline of white around all the text. The only disadvantage I can see is that pasting the text on top of the lens will make it difficult to change the text later if you wanted to.

I made all the inserts with the non colour gems like the progress you see in the pic above and added it to the playfield image.

I tried both options of adding the text to the playfield image, and using decals. I ended up with the decals mainly because adding text to the playfield image resulted with the text getting blended in by the light's halo glows.

Using the decals however the text is crisp and clean with no problems. No white edging... all black letters.

Current WIP

1594442018822.png

It looks nice! I have started moving the halos from the playfield inserts under the apron or inside the back box. I guess I have joined the crowd of the old school guys that likes to remove the glow from the inserts. You could set the glow to 0 in the script but then you would have to add all the inserts to the script. To my thinking, the lights look more like a real table if there is no glow on the inserts. This does make the lights less bright but Rav's BAM brightness coding make it so you can make the lights brighter. I think Slam usually sets all the lights to a brightness of 1.6 which appears to make the inserts brighter than the bulbs for some reason.

I think most guys hid the glow from inserts depending on the image being displayed on the inserts. If it was more of a graphic colour image.... then they didn't want to glow obscuring that, etc. Today, like you said we have total control over all aspects of the lighting and halo glow.

I already have the inserts set to a brightness of 2.2 or 3.4 depending on the other lighting used (beacon, etc). When using Post Processing Gamma at a lower amount (I use between 1.5 to 1.0)... it allows the lights to be more colourful while making the flashers look much nicer.... but the inserts brightness must be higher.

I always set all the inserts to be controlled in script separately from all other lights. It allows for much more control over all lighting.

The reason I don't like the glow on the inserts is that there is too much gradient between light and dark (in other words the glow is too bright). I think the reason is the glow could never be set to less than 20 in the past. I am experimenting now with setting the glow in the script to less than 20. I think I might be able to find a setting I like. Real tables do have a little glow on the inserts but it needs to be less than 20 in FP to match it.

I finished my experiment on TOTAN and found the lenses for the inserts already had a glow built into them so adding more glow didn't look right. It looked OK when I set the glow to 2 which isn't worth fooling with. I guess it depends entirely on how the lenses were set up initially. If they have no glow at all, then using BAM's glow control might be worth it. One thing I don't like is using glow always adds a white dot to where the halo is located.

F-14 Tomcat (Ultimate Pro) - PinEvent: Awesome new Beacon and RGB Lighting Update.

After a bit of a break (for rearranging my house and visiting family)...

Here is a demo of the new Beacon and RGB Lighting I added to my PinEvent mod for F-14 Tomcat Ultimate Pro. This looks really slick with animated RGB effects combined with the realistic beacon lighting (using a BAM mini playfield)!

I first show the original table's lighting, then I show the updated table so you can see the big difference between them (as well as the PinEvent PuP and PuPDMD mod).

I also added a new 4K playfield image (thanks to ganjafarmer) and added new playfield insert gems to the image to allow for the RGB Lighting to work. Then I added decals on top of each insert in the FP Editor.

Lots of work for both the PinEvent mod and the new table updates...but the result looks great I think!

VERY nice.

Were those After Burner game clips from the 8bit era? Love the retro touch an usually i'm all for it but it is too much of a contrast in quality to "fit" IMHO.

VERY nice.

Were those After Burner game clips from the 8bit era? Love the retro touch an usually i'm all for it but it is too much of a contrast in quality to "fit" IMHO.

If you watch the previous videos, you'll see that Afterburner music and gameplay videos are optional and can be changed on the fly at anytime.

I somehow missed that. Cool feature ?

Some new real tables also go for an 8 bit / 80's look in the videos. Deadpool and TNA as examples.

I actually prefer the Afterburner music the best myself.

Ok.... one last video (for real this time) before I release this. Just some gameplay from a cabinet view.

F-14 Tomcat (Ultimate Pro) - PinEvent

Now Available
(for Future Pinball-BAM)

This isn't your Grandpa's F-14 Tomcat!

This is SLAMT1LT's Ultimate Pro version with all new sounds, music and dazzling visuals... only now it's taken to a whole new level with a massive action packed TerryRed PinEvent update!

Now featuring all new RGB animated lighting, updated BAM physics, and some stellar new "real" beacon lighting (that looks dazzling in VR).... as well as a massive PinEvent update!

PinEvent:

With full PinEvent support, the table now has excellent DOF feedback, animated MX Led lighting, SSF, an action packed PuP-Pack and PUPDMD with complete support for ALL cabinet and desktop setups for ALL users.

Enjoy additional cool features provided with PUP Stream options to see the PuP-Pack and FullDMD on the table's backbox, apron, playfield mini-screen, and desktop HUD in all views (desktop, cabinet, vr).

Switch Between Modern and Retro:

Use the Special Button to switch between Ultimate Pro mode (for updated modern music, PuPDMD and Videos), Original music, Afterburner music, and Arcade mode (Afterburner videos and music) at any time during gameplay! It's like 3 games in one!

This makes for the most explosive F-14 Tomcat you've ever seen.

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/f-14-tomcat-ultimate-pro-pinevent/

1595243976294.png

Downloaded, tested... and it's another one to keep.
Can wait to be on vacation so I can at least for a few days enjoy it in VR :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Ok, keep in touch!
      Back