FP won't load when I connect second monitor

AdTheImpaler

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Star Trek Next Generation
Hello all,

New here but been a lurker for many years and have finally revisited the challenge of setting up a cabinet. Thankfully there is is so much more information and tutorials available for the technological inept like myself.

Ok, here is my problem. Have 2 screens, working great in all versions of VP but when I try FP the table loading freezes causing me to Force Quit. If I change to single screen FP loads perfectly. I have tried all settings, rolled back NVIDIA drivers, updated drivers etc with no success. I try with BAM or FP on it's own and no different. I am on Windows 7 64b Pro. I have spent a week almost trying to fix it myself before coming here. My family want a happy dad back and have begged me to ask for some help online so any help much appreciated.

I don't run FP much, but I do notice a bunch of people having problems like this.

The common solution seems to be playing with the rendering settings until you get it to work. You probably want to start by dialing the settings all the way back to "minimum," seeing if it runs that way, and then start adding options back in.

If that's not helpful, I'd recommend looking at others' various solutions they chanced upon. For example in this search, top result I'm seeing is a guy saying he fixed the issue by:
selecting "Fixed View" under Camera System and un-checking "Camera Follow the Ball"

I don't have a pincab either but...

You don't say if you are using a front end program like PinballX but if you are there could be problems there although I don't use it so I don't know much about it.

If you have a lower end PC, you can try what JonPurpleHaze says but if you use BAM be sure to always have "Model Quality" set to high or it will crash.

Use the most recent version of BAM. It fixed a large memory leak on FP and it should make FP run better.

If you use an alternate FP exe file, do not use the Zed versions with a front end program. My understanding is it won't work with PinballX anyway. TerryRed uses the Physics 2.7 version on his pincab.

See if any of this helps,

George

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately nothing has worked. I tried running on minimum settings even though the PC I have has plenty of power but still no luck. Tried "Fixed View" under Camera System and un-checking "Camera Follow the Ball" with no luck either.

I am not using a front-end yet, I wanted to get all software working as it should before loading it to the front-end I choose. I am currently using the BAM/FP installer pack from Ravarcade current version available off website. I am not using any physics mods.

My system is as follows,

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Motherboard MSI Z170A Gaming M5 (MS-7977)
Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 4GB
500GB Samsung EVO M.2 SSD

Playfield Sony 65" TV connected to HDMI from graphics card HDMI
Backglass Monitor 19" TARGA/KOGAN connected to HDMI from graphics card DVI-D port.

My only other option is to perhaps update to WINDOWS 10 but would prefer not to if not needed.

Hi George,

Thanks again for the reply, I had no idea you were that George! Your guide was a great reference that I had already been using. I started out following Mameinabox's tutorial and he recommends your guide in high regard for Future Pinball.

I am waiting on a DVD-I cable to try that port and see if I get any luck. Until then I will keep plodding along waiting for the epiphany.

It might help you if you look through my guide here:

http://gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6054

George
Hey, cool! I'm not really familiar with you or that forums, but that's some great work there, and thank you for stopping by here.

I do recognise Popotte's name, who I think dates back all the way to the original VPF.

@AdTheImpaler,
So you're trying some different port / cable setups? Personally, the last time I had two monitors running, I had one going on DVI-D and one via good ol' VGA. I wonder how many port options you have on your machine to switch that stuff around.

Can a monitor be connected by USB, I wonder?

I'm sorry. I don't have any experience with 2 monitors. I doubt that it has anything to do with FP. It is probably something in your system external to FP.

Try sending a private message to TerryRed on VPForums. He has a pincab and coached many on their set ups.

George

I'm sorry. I don't have any experience with 2 monitors. I doubt that it has anything to do with FP. It is probably something in your system external to FP.
Well, based on the earlier search, it indeed looks like a common problem with FP.

At the very least, many seemed to find that by messing around with FP settings alone, they were able to resolve the issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. I am guessing it be problem with the way FP outputs backglass, it would be somewhere in the code that I have no idea of, hey I am just a chef after all. I only assume this based on VP working perfectly on the 2 screens and so does Windows itself. I will definitely work on different methods suggested at connecting the second screen. I have it already over DVD-D but want to try DVD-I, then I will look at a possible USB method.

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. I am guessing it be problem with the way FP outputs backglass, it would be somewhere in the code that I have no idea of, hey I am just a chef after all. I only assume this based on VP working perfectly on the 2 screens and so does Windows itself. I will definitely work on different methods suggested at connecting the second screen. I have it already over DVD-D but want to try DVD-I, then I will look at a possible USB method.
Did you find a solution to this problem as am having the exact same issue??

win11 user here but my 2nd "monitor" is done with an old tablet via space desk (not physically connected with a cable).
Make sure that in windows display options you have "extend this monitors" and that the "main monitor" is for the playfield.

In FP go to Video/rendering options - click "use second monitor for backbox" - click the "backbox" radio button and make sure the screen you want for the backbox is configured correctly.

launch a table. Nothing to it or at least I never had a problem on this subject.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back