Future Pinball and BAM finding a new home

Hate that idea. Don't want FP to turn into just another emulator and we all end up just doing hundreds of different versions of these games like vp/vpx. Sick of playing them after 20 years, would rather play original games that are brand new
I'm curious what long-term VPers might think when they see stuff like Gimli's labyrinth table. Not only is it a cool game and concept in its own right, but with VP you'd have to jump though absolute hoops to do something like that.

As I understand it, you'd have to pre-render every potential view and create a bunch of different, partially-obscured ball images to match what the ball would look like in every viewing situation in the maze. And at best the whole thing would still involve a bunch of fakery, since you can't actually tilt the slope in two axes like that.

I don't visit VPF much, but I'm guessing not too many VP folks fully understand what BAM brings to the table (NPI). Maybe it would stoke some interest, even from the jaded VP cabinet crowd.

I'm curious what long-term VPers might think when they see stuff like Gimli's labyrinth table. Not only is it a cool game and concept in its own right, but with VP you'd have to jump though absolute hoops to do something like that.

Thanks !
SLAM has a slogan "Think it , build it ,play it !"
And I think BAM can help us with that ...so some of these little ideas can help us iron out greater challenges

Thanks for the explanation.....Ike Savage,but if abbreviations could be avoided, it would be better, to avoid nasty surprises when doing the translation. I still don't understand this AFAIK

the use of the "Rom" in Bam / FP, I do not mind, on the contrary it would solve the fat problem of the soils and music, which is difficult to extract, but as regards the coding I prefer to do it, myself, and that the "Rom" does not affect on my code

@shiva
Hmm, be funny if we ported over some vp original games to FP instead of the other way around.

which original VP table would you like in FP?......I've already made two

AFAIK
As far as I know

Well... Some (new) guys could be a little bit afraid by GoPinball's forum (spams, response timle, ...). So, for me, it could be interesting to copy your guides here.

Hallo JP...how are you ?

Do you guys think I should copy my mega-guides for FP and BAM set up to PN or should we rely on Terry's video guide?

FP

BAM
Sounds like a no-brainer if you're indeed concerned about the stability of the host site. Either way, backups are good.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of video tutorials, and almost always prefer text, or illustrated text. Because text better allows me to go at my own speed, for one thing. Even if I'm in the minority in that preference, it couldn't hurt to have it available.

Btw, hope you're using your mod powers to sticky FP threads as appropriate. That stuff is certainly over my head for the time being..

Last edited:
Yes post ypur tutorials and table prefences George !

Gimli,

I am not positive but I think the Help prefix that you used on your tutorials is supposed to be used for messages asking for help?

George

Ok thanks for the help :)
These werent BAM specific....what tag should we use for tutorials ?

@Gimli and @GeorgeH,
Honestly, you should feel free to try them out either way. Experiment a bit. As in, consider "help" as being from the POV of a manual, versus "help" as coming from the user end.

Feel free to mess round with that stuff, in other words. If you're the thread creator, you can go back and edit in another prefix. George (or other staff person) can also do it via mod powers.

At the admin level, we can also modify, edit or delete prefixes, and even work with their colors to make them prettier. I designed the green series of the VP8 - VP9 - VPX sequence, for example.

So yeah, at the end of the day I think it's helpful to consider these settings and this stuff to be sort of a brain-storming session involving all of us. When an opinion coalesces around what makes the most sense, we can make whatever 'final' adjustment seems best. 'Final,' because we can always go back and edit it. :)

But yeah, I wish we could set up multiple prefixes. That's a site limitation as it stands. Still, "tags" are an underused quantity IMO. Tags are similar to prefixes, yet you can add as many of them as you like.

For example, @pinballdaveh had a pretty great idea a few months ago to add manufacturer prefixes to the "Maintenance & Repair" section. IIRC one of us later realised that adding tags for "solved" or "unsolved" to each thread would be super-helpful as well.

Frankly, I could still use some help finishing off the solved / unsolved tags, but otherwise, we have the body of ~1000 M&R threads labelled correctly:
https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?forums/maintenance-repair.95/

OK. The list looks nice. I looked at this one:

It looks like it should have a Williams prefix. So should I change it silently or notify the author.

Maybe we could create a prefix for Tutorial.

...It looks like it should have a Williams prefix. So should I change it silently or notify the author.
You can most definitely add the Williams prefix. IMO no need to notify the thread author if you're only adding info. But if you're changing info, like the thread title or the text, then yeah, notifying is good.

Also, if the user had reported back "hey, that solved the problem," then the thread would be ripe for a "solved" tag. If no adviice was given OTOH, then "unsolved" would be the right tag.

Maybe we could create a prefix for Tutorial.
In terms of the M&R section, think that's fairly implied by the prefixes Repair, Maintenance and Upgrade/Project.

But each forum section can have its own set of prefixes. "Tutorial" might be something you'd want for the FP section, maybe?

Again, the big limitation with prefixes is that you can only set one per thread or resource.

Yes. Thank God I read the PM message on the old site. I've been missing FP talk.

Man I have missed out so much.
I have just ordered some new screens. I am playing to build a min pinball machine 1 ips 13 inch HD playfield and a 8 inch ips HD box.

Can't wait for the parts to come so that I can build it.

Last edited:
you can definitly count on me to present my next WIP here.
Also, If Anyone need to migrate stuff I did or wrote in the past, fell free to do it.

@graf

Welcome to Pinball Nirvana! I am nearly finished with a new version of POTO that I will post here.

you can definitly count on me to present my next WIP here.
Also, If Anyone need to migrate stuff I did or wrote in the past, fell free to do it.
We need more ground soldiers to help out with this kind of thing.

Seems like the vast majority of you FP folks are devs, and naturally preoccupied with developer sorts of work and issues. But I think it would be really helpful if there were some administrative-minded FP folks to copy more of the useful work over. I see the two types of personalities to be complimentary, even necessary.

I was kind of hoping there would be more of an FP userbase that would follow you devs over, but maybe that kind of thing is only going to happen slowly.

As I've noted several times now, I'm way over my head with this FP stuff, and am already preoccupied with other projects. But since you all have decided to make this a FP 'home base' of sorts, I'm kind of bummed I can't do more to help, other than being a useful staff-member at times.

Ach... bit of a moldy old rant, here!

I would be happy to help. what is it you need to be done?
Thank you, Steve!

I'm thinking more thread & guide resources would be good. Stuff to help out absolute beginners, but also stuff for authors across a range of abilities to make use of. I assume a lot of that stuff has already been posted at GoPinball, and could simply be re-posted / uploaded over here.

But also, as mentioned, I think a glossary of FP terminology would be helpful for beginner-to-intermediate folks. Possibly also a document of how the various script commands work for more experienced folks. Maybe that exists in some form already?

Another issue is that most of the screenshots for existing FP tables got lost in a forum move, and need to be regenerated. That would really help out those browsing for new tables to try out.

Also, uploading more of the classics from PSDB would be helpful, pretty much for the same reason. More content to bring people over here.

So there's plenty of stuff to choose from. I write regularly, and could help proofread, of course.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Isaac Sauvage has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back