Tutorial Future Pinball and BAM Installed: Simple… FAST… then PLAY! (by TerryRed)

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard
@polygame

Where is your Backglass monitor positioned in Windows Display settings?

Be absolutely sure it's positioned to the right of the playfield and next to it with no other screens between(and the playfield must be primary screen).

If it's not in this position it won't work! Windows can sometimes swap your monitors around which will mess this up.

1590879293323.png

polygame

Inserted Coin
Ok, last bit helped (screen 2 was before screen 1) and when I switched to copy the image you send, I finally saw the backglass.
Since it is my work computer, I can not switch the screen that way and temper with my system everytime I use FP. so it is going to be a no-go unfortunatly.

Any way, I have launched BAM params (Q) to explore what's new and I found it as difficult and incoherent to navigate as I remember in the first place, so for the time being I'll still keep playing pinballFX table.

thx for all the help sir.

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard
Ok, last bit helped (screen 2 was before screen 1) and when I switched to copy the image you send, I finally saw the backglass.
Since it is my work computer, I can not switch the screen that way and temper with my system everytime I use FP. so it is going to be a no-go unfortunatly.

Any way, I have launched BAM params (Q) to explore what's new and I found it as difficult and incoherent to navigate as I remember in the first place, so for the time being I'll still keep playing pinballFX table.

thx for all the help sir.
You don't really need to mess with the BAM menu at all if you installed my files. It's not a requirement to play anything.

The only BAM menu you "might" need to goto for "playing" is the Table and Lighting menu to slightly adjust your view per table (if needed at all, its usually good) and your desired Lighting (the Preset set to Default is like normal FP). I show you exactly how to do that in the video (its also bookmarked). It's really easy. Navigating is really simple once you understand how it works. Watch my video to get a good idea.

Robots Invasion comes up like this for me. I just adjusted the lighting to Default (for an older table)... and that's it.

Robots Invasion (Ultra Edition) (v1.04).png

Most of BAM's menus has nothing to do with the new features we use on updating tables. We set the lighting and other things how we want in the menu and copy that to script (CTRL +C). The DEV menu has lots of stuff, but we use the mini playfield tool there for updates more than anything.

Most of what we use for new BAM features is all script based now.

If an older table plays odd.. you can easily make it use the older FP physics (or any other version since) by using your preferred xml file named the same as the table and placed with the table (BAM will use that xml physics for that table only, I also show this in my video).

When we update a table for newer BAM dynamic flippers (which can make a big difference in how the tables play now), the physics are all in the table script. No need for xml files, etc...it just works.

It's really easy to play FP in a cabinet...the initial setup is the hard part. After that... run the table...use BAM to adjust the view slightly (if needed)...choose your lighting(if needed)... done. You can even use someone else's BAM table cfg files for each table if you want to save you the work. I have only a small amount so far on my guide...but I'll be adding more.

Last edited:

polygame

Inserted Coin
Glad you can run this table, for me it crash on load like 80% of the fp tables (shootanza, warlord, every zed or slamt1lt tables...). I have a 4gb video card and 16gb of ram so go figure? I tought that BAM would improve this stuff but it seems like for some it work but for some it doesn't.

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard
Glad you can run this table, for me it crash on load like 80% of the fp tables (shootanza, warlord, every zed or slamt1lt tables...). I have a 4gb video card and 16gb of ram so go figure? I tought that BAM would improve this stuff but it seems like for some it work but for some it doesn't.
Did you change all the FP Video settings and the Editor setting to match "exactly" like I show in the video and on my mega guide? It really does matter for all tables to load and play correctly. (this was the intent of the registry file)

I've been using FP and BAM on many different PC's, laptops, AMD, nvidia for the last 5 years and have never had a problem getting any table to run with those settings. (though an intel onboard gpu may give problems).

The Editor settings are important (don't Load Images into Editor just for playing!) This WILL cause tables to crash when loading!

Close FP EVERY time you exit a table before trying to load a new table or run the same table. This is common even with VP (it's a limitation of older 32bit programs). I never have an issue with this on my cabinet because I use a front end which always closes FP when you exit the table.

Also...don't assume your video card, motherboard and audio drivers are properly updated. With Win 10 updates, its common to have a crummy common driver instead of a proper up to date driver being used for your video card.

For real...with the right settings and closing FP each time you exit...you should be able to run everything.

polygame

Inserted Coin
again, nope. I am a multimedia dev. I render 4k video on my machine and deal with millions of polygons scene in 3d so no problem there. But thx for asking. I also know about "don't Load Images into Editor" I was the first to report it to Chris Leathley 14 years ago.

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard
again, nope. I am a multimedia dev. I render 4k video on my machine and deal with millions of polygons scene in 3d so no problem there. But thx for asking. I also know about "don't Load Images into Editor" I was the first to report it to Chris Leathley 14 years ago.
Oh I have no doubt your system could handle it, or you don't understand this stuff. :)

Out of curiosity... are you using an nvidia Quadro? I know I can get odd results trying to play PC games of any sort using those cards at my work place (along with Xeon cpu's, etc)

On my home systems I always use nvidia consumer video cards (currently GTX 1080)... I'm a big PC Gamer... love VR... and do some 4K video encoding myself. My 3d animation skills are hopelessly out of date though...going back to the Lightwave Amiga days.

TerryRed

Pinball Wizard
@polygame

Crazy last idea. Try running FPLoader.exe as Administrator (if you didn't already) and see if that helps (using the same settings I showed)....but never run FuturePinball.exe as administrator though.

Some people need that for their systems depending on their security settings,etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.