Future Pinball Backglasses Not Exiting

Playa1970

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Fireball
Hello,

I have read through so many articles. Everything seems to be setup just fine. All my tables work great and are very fun to play. However, the backglass never exits along with the playfield...never, on any table. I am using FPloader in BAM folder.

All DLL are unblocked (as far as I can tell), and EXE's are set to run as Admin.

I really want to play these in PinballX front-end, along with my VPX tables. Many <acronym title="Future Pinball" class="bbc ipSeoAcronym">FP</acronym> tables, like Tron, are awesome with all their little extras...I hate to miss out playing these.

ANY help, tip, or tricks would be most appreciated.

All this worked fine on my Windows 7 PC, but with this newer Win10...everything but the backglass exiting works fine...and I am stumped.

Thank you,
Brian from Ohio

Solution
Okay, Red Baron 2.0 seems okay over here. And now I have an idea...

As an alt to uninstalling/reinstalling, you might simply try clearing FP's settings. If you're not sure how to do that, here's a quickie:

1 - Right-click on the Windows menu icon from the desktop, choose "Run," then type in "regedit," and hit OK.

2 - Navigate to the FP folder based on the attached pic.

3 - Right-click on that folder (and no other), and choose "delete." The changes will be instant, and you can now close RegEdit.

4 - When you start up FP again, the settings will be restored to defaults.

First, this might clear a setting right away that's causing your issue. Second, this will require you to manually choose your backglass settings (etc)...
I'm stepping out the door right now, but this intrigues me. I can probably take a look at this tomorrow.

Personally I've been on Win10 for a couple weeks now, still getting the hang of it, but starting to get comfortable. In terms of pinball, all my efforts lately have involved troubleshooting VP9 and VPX stuff, but I don't mind taking a look at an FP issue.

Could you let me know whatever your setup is so I can try to replicate this tomorrow? I.e., BAM, FP, plus any specific table build?

I am playing several different FP tables, such as Aliens, Tron, Dragons Lair, etc. I have Future Pinball folder on the C: drive, and then BAM within that folder, just as it should be.

All the tables play and look good..no issues there.

The only issue is the backglass not exiting when I hit Escape key or the button on my cabinet. The playfield exits correctly, but the backglass remains on the screen.

The only way that I can get the backglass to exit is to do the ol' button combo of ControlAltDelete, and then I can hit Cancel....the backglass goes away. I don't get it. I must be missing something somewhere.

It's hard to diagnose, as the tables do work nicely...so I am not missing support files or something else....not that I can think of anyways.

Someone on another site said to find if there is an EXE that would run after the playfield exits to shutdown the backglass...I have no clue about this. I guess somewhat similar to using a Kill Task command, etc, etc.

Be nice to get this figured out, as it's much nicer playing tables through PinballX versus having to load table, and then go through the hassle of getting backglass to shut down...for every table. Argh!

Thanks,
Brian

> Someone on another site said to find if there is an EXE that would run after the playfield exits to shutdown the backglass...I have no clue about this.

That makes perfect sense, altho I would strongly suspect your fellow FP cab users have a little more elegant solution. Have you hit up the various web-forums that FP users hang out at?

Also, Google is good. For example, just googling "Visual Pinball" and my specific issue usually gets me started on possible solutions, which I then experiment with until I get something working. I would assume it works about as well as with FP.

Anyway, will I need a second monitor to simulate the problem correctly? I haven't run FP / BAM like that in the past, but I'm thinking my PC will support two monitors, since it outputs both VGA and HDMI. (I need to figure that out anyway, since I'd like to run a VP backglass soon)

I have Googled, searched, read, etc...till I'm blue in the face. I did everything step by step on the FAQ's and guides.
I think I will just have to let this rest for awhile.

Yes, two monitors would be needed to simulate this setup. There's a good chance yours will work, as mine did before. I must be missing something on this new computer that is causing this error.
Oh well...not the end of the world. Will just enjoy one table at a time or just use VPX. :o(

Well feel free to check back tomorrow. I got the second monitor working, now need to install the game software. Since I haven't done a monitor span before, I may run in to an issue or two along the way.

Worst comes to worst, we should be able to kludge up a solution for you, even if it involves running a .BAT file to turn off your backglass, or something like that.

-Ike, from Lake Erie as a matter of fact

Quick question-- did you start with the Ravarcade FP + BAM installer? Or if not, which site / versions did you use?

I need to make sure I match your install so I can replicate the problem.

Yes, I believe it was the 2 in 1 installer...I think.
I believe I also tried the stand alone latest version of BAM.

I kept trying different things, but nothing works.

So I tried the Ravarcade combo install. Haven't introduced theGhost787's FP 2.5 yet (it's in the DL's here), just to keep things simple. So I'm only using FP 1.9.2008.1225.

TBH, this FP install isn't very well tuned right now, but I'm not seeing your issue yet.

Going back and searching on the tables you first mentioned, I see there's a lot of different versions. Could you pick one and let me know the exact version, specs and author? Bonus pts for including the site you used to DL.

Kinda sounds like this is a DOFLinx-related thing. Note: as a person only using two monitors and not any physical cab plugins, DOF is something I only have a rough/theoretical understanding of.

Also-- can you confirm it's only FP & BAM software you have installed, no other 3rd party thing, like B2S or whatever...?

I do have B2S installed, as I use VPX tables. Obviously, that's in another folder.
I downloaded the latest tables from VP Forums website, under Future Pinball tables.
I even tried using just using Future Pinball....with FP Loader and BAM. i loaded up Red Baron 2.0 table...nothing fancy , just a basic table. The backglass would not exit either.

I think I may uninstall everything, and then start over...just to see if it works. If not, I'm done with it all....and will just play VPX tables and be happy! ;o)

Okay, Red Baron 2.0 seems okay over here. And now I have an idea...

As an alt to uninstalling/reinstalling, you might simply try clearing FP's settings. If you're not sure how to do that, here's a quickie:

1 - Right-click on the Windows menu icon from the desktop, choose "Run," then type in "regedit," and hit OK.

2 - Navigate to the FP folder based on the attached pic.

3 - Right-click on that folder (and no other), and choose "delete." The changes will be instant, and you can now close RegEdit.

4 - When you start up FP again, the settings will be restored to defaults.

First, this might clear a setting right away that's causing your issue. Second, this will require you to manually choose your backglass settings (etc), which might help help lead you down a better path this time.

Just as a fun longshot, you might try running from FP 2.5 and see what happens. You don't have to do an install or anything, just unzip that .exe and drop it in your FP folder. (one side-benefit of FP 2.5 is that it gets rid of the annoying logo)

Attachments

• FP settings.jpg
    FP settings.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 314
Solution
Hello...again,
I had already uninstalled everything before I got to read your last reply. Still not work.
I then deleted the registry entry. Was getting Mediation Error, but then I added back the scripts folder that DOF needs.
After some misc settings, etc......guess what? IT WORKS!!!!
The backglass exits along with the playfield.
Now, the only remaining issue is that when using PinballX front-end, when exiting a FP table, it also shuts down PinballX front-end along with it...hmmmm....strange. I will have to keep plugging away at it.
Thanks again!
-Brian

Cool! :) And you also spurred me to figure out my own second monitor situation. Double-win!

Haha, isn't it funny how in life, adding another pair of eyes (even if they barely know squat) can sometimes help solve a problem? Side note-- after 30+ years, I guess Microsoft still hasn't figured out how to make an uninstall fully clean up after itself. *sheesh*

As for PinballX, I think what I'll do is to install that, but go back to working with VP9 & VPX. I realised just now that I was getting way over my head with FP, something I was never very familiar with in the first place.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Itchigo has started a new thread called "Sounds library" in Visual Pinball and Visual PinMAME...
      Back