Bally Solved Future Spa (Bally, 1979) lighting issues

ArtGuyDeluxe

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Black Knight
I have a Bally Future Spa that I recently purchased. It works fine, but the back board does not light up (the "Future Spa" blinking lights work fine, but the constant-on bulbs do not light up). I thought this might be a fuse issue, but I'm not sure which fuse controls these lights. Additionally today my constant lights on the play field stopped working. These are the lights beneath all the translucent, elevated pieces on the board. The rest of the machine works like a dream!
I have to apologize, since I'm new at pinball maintenance and repair, I haven't absorbed all of the nomenclature yet! Please be patient!:help:
Any ideas, experts?

Solution
the lights in the head and the playfield that are on all the time are called general illumination or GI lighting. bally was known for using #44 bulbs in both GI lighting. these bulbs draw too much power, check or replace them with #47 bulbs. the added amp draw from #44 bulbs burns the connectors on the fuse/ rectifier board. you might see burn marks on white female connectors. the bad female pins need to be replaced and the heat prob. took out the male pins under them and their solder connections. reflow the solder connections on the other male pins when you change the bad male pins.
the lights in the head and the playfield that are on all the time are called general illumination or GI lighting. bally was known for using #44 bulbs in both GI lighting. these bulbs draw too much power, check or replace them with #47 bulbs. the added amp draw from #44 bulbs burns the connectors on the fuse/ rectifier board. you might see burn marks on white female connectors. the bad female pins need to be replaced and the heat prob. took out the male pins under them and their solder connections. reflow the solder connections on the other male pins when you change the bad male pins.

Solution
Good call. I recently replaced several burnt out 44 bulbs on the playfield, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem. (the bulbs on the head were all 44s, but they haven't worked since I got the machine) I just ordered a box of 47 bulbs and I'll check those connections. Would I have likely blown a fuse as well?
Thanks for your help!

the GI lighting fuse is on the fuse/rectifier board . even with the burnt connectors the fuse usually holds good , unless there is a short it will blow out.

That was absolutely the problem. I replaced all GI bulbs with 47s, then checked the wiring. Sure enough, the wires were fried where they entered the rectifier board. I jiggled them and the lights sprung back to life, but I will resolder the connections as well, since the connection is shaky at best. Thanks!!

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: GeorgeH has posted a new reply in the thread "Sounds library".
      Back