• We have added Language Translations for French, Italian and Spanish menus, you can change your language at the bottom of every page, bottom left in the footer.
  • Spanish (Español, Latin American) translations have been added for the Forums and Resource Manager (Downloads). You can change your Language Here!

Gas Display Segments

AnonTet

Pinball Wizard
So, I think I got everything as I've wanted to make the Black Knight table closer to the real thing (according to youtube videos).

One thing left (for me) to do is the above. If you look at the video below, (see 2:13 onwards) the players 2,3 and 4 Displays, are looped in MB specific animations and changing the 3 to 2 when the number of balls in play decrease mid MB mode.

I looked at manual, downloaded an example table from somewhere with a DMD class but, my skills aren't good to even make the special effects work. also read that apparently (especially the timing part) is hard to make it work since it's all linked. But I don't even want to sync the Displays with the HUD presentation.

So can someone point me in the right direction or simply tell me it's impossible?

My idea is to create a Sub that is called when MB mode and a timer_expire check if MBmode is active. I think this is the best way of doing it but making the effects work is a pain.

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Staff member
Site Supporters
I think it may be possible to do what you want but my coding skills are also lacking. I take it that you produced the effect by adding 3s to the display. I think that you would want to replace 3 with BallsRemaining(CurrentPlayer). ...But then it took a long time for me to add the new segmented display to "Road Girls" so maybe someone else should help you.

Gin

Pinball Nudger
Site Supporters
I would be inclined to agree with George... I think it is possible, but having only generically tweaked a tables script - I don't think that I would necessarily have the knowledge or skills to code it; but would be willing to help where/if I can.

From your initial description of your approach to achieving the desired outcome, I would think that the MB sub-routine should have 3 associated timers to create the speed/movement of the numbers in each respective gas segment display (as they appear to move/refresh at different speeds), and as George commented - the use of the "BallsRemaining(CurrentPlayer)" would seem like the easiest approach.... but then again - what do I know LOL

AnonTet

Pinball Wizard
Thanks for the replies @GeorgeH @Gin

I thought of the same. The problem is how to code all that and on time :D

The "animations", if no sfx can do it, will be a painful labour... Do note that the animation of the "3"s don't all start in the same position. At least the displays all have the same number of segments, right?! :banghead:

I wasn't deep enough though. Now... drum roll... I want to do it for all 4 players because why the hell not. This means the animations need to be in different disp segs. Testing and debugging will be fun too :sarcasm: <-- @wild smile needed ;)

I'll take the opportunity to do an update on what I have changed. Don't mock me please. For me this is a very long list as some stuff took me DAYS to test and solve and probably not in the best way. Some things do require talent instead of will power too (graphics come to mind)

My goal, is to make the table closer to the real thing in every aspect to the best of my ability. Obviously, using several YT videos as reference this doesn't mean much!

' vXXX changes: ( still not sure what to call it. MOD? 1.01a?)
' - Enabled new rendering but didn't change the lights. Did change blue lights to purple(ish).
' - changed some textures; metals, woods
' - added the vertical "C" at the end of plunger lane (Thanks to Tio Italo's Cavaleiro Negro table)
' - Fixed wrong 2 ball MB mode activation when 3rd ball lock is done on lower playfield
' - fix for logic issue in 3 MB mode. (if 1st ball is lost before before 2nd ball was released scoring multiplier got messed up)
' - 3 MB mode now lit both scoring lights (but multiplies correctly)
' - Locked balls new logic, new release method in the table, new release timings and all reset if 3rd ball is lost.
' - Added custom physics / dynamic flippers (hopefully with more sense of weight and closer to the real thing gameplay)
' - Added rolling ball sounds
' - added true magnet; the manual does say *attempt* to save. Use them wisely :)
' - added option for 3 or 5 ball games with "B" key (default is 3 by factory settings)
' - multiple adjustments to accommodate custom physics.

' TODO:
' - add bell ring on credit
' - add proper DispSeg animations while in MB mode
' - added extra ball / credits based on scoring (using manual as reference) (W.I.P)
' - Change red's to orange(ish)?
' - Create a lens for the arrows. Original bulbs barely lit the tips, apparently.

Gin

Pinball Nudger
Site Supporters
Hi @AnonTet I made a quick example of the "DispSeg animations while in MB mode" - that hopefully shows; at-least, 'a' method of achieving it; although by the seems of your undertakings - you will undoubtedly find a better way 😌.

EDIT: Apologies, forgot to mention - use the "T" key to test the animation effect 🤪

Attachments

Last edited:

wild

Bam is FP
Chat Moderator
Hi folk, it seems to me, to understand, that you want to reproduce that sequence of numbers (3-2-1) during the multiball,right?
so when you have three balls in the GAS, you see the number three going back and forth, equal to the 2 and 1...

questions .... because I don't know the table
1) player1 in game: the sequence is seen in gases 2-3-4
2) player2 in game: the sequence is seen in gases 1-3-4
3) player3 in game: the sequence is seen in gases 1-2-4
4) player4 in game: the sequence is seen in gases 1-2-3

is so right?

I don't know if my friend Gin has solved it, but I can try to make a demo, it takes timers, it's the system I use, it's suitable for this sequence

so let me know

AnonTet

Pinball Wizard
@Gin
Amazing. I downloaded the table and i'll have a look still today.

There's a reason why I asked for help as I do have this problem of aiming too high. Unfortunately I can't achieve much of what I aim even though I try. And I'll keep trying.

In the end though, it all can be resumed in the immortal words of Monty Python's John Cleese as Pope in the last supper sketch " I may not know much about art but I know what I like"(tm) :D

/edit
Tested the table to see how it looked... I think you nailed perfect back and forth effect including timing. I need to digest all the code and try to add it to the script.

And I though that working with FP built-in special effects was hard...

@wild
Yes, that's what I'm thinking exactly. But the sequence is not 3-2-1 is 3-2-off when there's only one ball left. I supposed that if there were more players their score would show instead of disabling their displays. No references whatsoever so artistic creativity applies. I did watch different displays when not in MB mode but i'm a fan of Occam's razor and K.I.S.S. philosophy :D

By the way, Real Life(tm) sucks and gets in the way more often than not, hence there's no pinball for me the next few days :( I'll still read the forum though.

I can't thank you enough for the help in bringing this table closer to how I see it.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Ike Savage:
    where is the unapprove option, anyway? is that a super mod thing or something from the admin panel?
  • @ Ike Savage:
    oh wait, I see it
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    true, but they could also be invisible to users and perhaps allow the category to be removed
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Don't know, do know that if you delete a category all files would also be removed so that's bad,
  • @ Ike Savage:
    seems like we discussed it in some length at one point and came up with the current arrangement, but I don't have a strong opinion on that stuff. the one thing I do like is that I can clear out weaker tables from the main section without deleting them
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Sounds fine to me Ike, can't disagree with ya!
  • @ Ike Savage:
    is it that you want to declutter more of the resources section?
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    No it's fine
  • @ Ike Savage:
    also, just to be clear-- the issue with "unapprove" is that you don't know if the table actually gets deleted from the server, right? AFAIK I have no way of seeing where the tables actually lie on the server, so it's something I can't test effectively
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    They wouldn't get deleted from the server, I don't think.
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Can we get back to the subdomain folders/files, the uploads.pinballnirvana.com folder is where uploads would need to be, just wondering what might need to be deleted..
  • @ Ike Savage:
    do you mind a phone call? probably easier to discuss, save some wear and tear on my hands, too
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    No problems Ike, can't talk now but will try and set this up.
  • @ Ike Savage:
    okay, well let me know if you need space cleared up across the torrent area, because I have some ideas
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Yeah, noticed a .zip file contains many versions etc..
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Uploading a 1.34 GB Pink Floyd The Wall zip file via ftp to test...
  • @ JonPurpleHaze:
    The file is actually on the server in FP originals but isn't public.
  • @ Anthias:
    Um, so, Hi!. What did I miss? (he says as though he ducked to the toilet while the adds were on...)
  • @ AnonTet:
    Hi guys, I«m asking here as it might have a quicker response. How can I check the ball size used by authors in FP? or at least the default size if anyone knows. Thanks
  • @ Gimli:
    Most FP authors use the default size and don't know how to use BAM to alter it.
  • @ Gimli:
    I think it may be 13.8 though
  • @ AnonTet:
    Thanks. But while I've waited I've looked at a ring around a ramp in LotR that's 26mm so i figure the ball being 24mm. A bit short of real life ball size if that's so.
  • @ AnonTet:
    of course I could've used my brains earlier and create a table with some carefully spaced guides and check that the ball is in fact 27mm in diameter. Peeking at fp.exe and bam.dll and there's no way to change this. you can set the colour and the id to track it though (but that's known)
  • @ Gimli:
    With Bam custom ball coding you can create balls of any size...see my titorial
  • @ Gimli:
    +1
    @ Gimli: https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?threads/bam-feature-how-to-guides.19601/post-120547 +1