Gas Display Segments

AnonTet

Pinball Master
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones
So, I think I got everything as I've wanted to make the Black Knight table closer to the real thing (according to youtube videos).

One thing left (for me) to do is the above. If you look at the video below, (see 2:13 onwards) the players 2,3 and 4 Displays, are looped in MB specific animations and changing the 3 to 2 when the number of balls in play decrease mid MB mode.

I looked at manual, downloaded an example table from somewhere with a DMD class but, my skills aren't good to even make the special effects work. also read that apparently (especially the timing part) is hard to make it work since it's all linked. But I don't even want to sync the Displays with the HUD presentation.

So can someone point me in the right direction or simply tell me it's impossible?

My idea is to create a Sub that is called when MB mode and a timer_expire check if MBmode is active. I think this is the best way of doing it but making the effects work is a pain.

I think it may be possible to do what you want but my coding skills are also lacking. I take it that you produced the effect by adding 3s to the display. I think that you would want to replace 3 with BallsRemaining(CurrentPlayer). ...But then it took a long time for me to add the new segmented display to "Road Girls" so maybe someone else should help you.

I would be inclined to agree with George... I think it is possible, but having only generically tweaked a tables script - I don't think that I would necessarily have the knowledge or skills to code it; but would be willing to help where/if I can.

From your initial description of your approach to achieving the desired outcome, I would think that the MB sub-routine should have 3 associated timers to create the speed/movement of the numbers in each respective gas segment display (as they appear to move/refresh at different speeds), and as George commented - the use of the "BallsRemaining(CurrentPlayer)" would seem like the easiest approach.... but then again - what do I know LOL

Thanks for the replies @GeorgeH @Gin

I thought of the same. The problem is how to code all that and on time :D

The "animations", if no sfx can do it, will be a painful labour... Do note that the animation of the "3"s don't all start in the same position. At least the displays all have the same number of segments, right?! :banghead:

I wasn't deep enough though. Now... drum roll... I want to do it for all 4 players because why the hell not. This means the animations need to be in different disp segs. Testing and debugging will be fun too :sarcasm: <-- @wild smile needed ;)

I'll take the opportunity to do an update on what I have changed. Don't mock me please. For me this is a very long list as some stuff took me DAYS to test and solve and probably not in the best way. Some things do require talent instead of will power too (graphics come to mind)

My goal, is to make the table closer to the real thing in every aspect to the best of my ability. Obviously, using several YT videos as reference this doesn't mean much!

' vXXX changes: ( still not sure what to call it. MOD? 1.01a?)
' - Enabled new rendering but didn't change the lights. Did change blue lights to purple(ish).
' - changed some textures; metals, woods
' - added the vertical "C" at the end of plunger lane (Thanks to Tio Italo's Cavaleiro Negro table)
' - Fixed wrong 2 ball MB mode activation when 3rd ball lock is done on lower playfield
' - fix for logic issue in 3 MB mode. (if 1st ball is lost before before 2nd ball was released scoring multiplier got messed up)
' - 3 MB mode now lit both scoring lights (but multiplies correctly)
' - Locked balls new logic, new release method in the table, new release timings and all reset if 3rd ball is lost.
' - Added custom physics / dynamic flippers (hopefully with more sense of weight and closer to the real thing gameplay)
' - Added rolling ball sounds
' - added true magnet; the manual does say *attempt* to save. Use them wisely :)
' - added option for 3 or 5 ball games with "B" key (default is 3 by factory settings)
' - multiple adjustments to accommodate custom physics.

' TODO:
' - add bell ring on credit
' - add proper DispSeg animations while in MB mode
' - added extra ball / credits based on scoring (using manual as reference) (W.I.P)
' - Change red's to orange(ish)?
' - Create a lens for the arrows. Original bulbs barely lit the tips, apparently.

Hi @AnonTet I made a quick example of the "DispSeg animations while in MB mode" - that hopefully shows; at-least, 'a' method of achieving it; although by the seems of your undertakings - you will undoubtedly find a better way ?.

EDIT: Apologies, forgot to mention - use the "T" key to test the animation effect ?

Attachments

• Black Knight 3xMulti-Ball Gas Segment Display Test.fpt
    9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Hi folk, it seems to me, to understand, that you want to reproduce that sequence of numbers (3-2-1) during the multiball,right?
so when you have three balls in the GAS, you see the number three going back and forth, equal to the 2 and 1...

questions .... because I don't know the table
1) player1 in game: the sequence is seen in gases 2-3-4
2) player2 in game: the sequence is seen in gases 1-3-4
3) player3 in game: the sequence is seen in gases 1-2-4
4) player4 in game: the sequence is seen in gases 1-2-3

is so right?

I don't know if my friend Gin has solved it, but I can try to make a demo, it takes timers, it's the system I use, it's suitable for this sequence

so let me know

@Gin
Amazing. I downloaded the table and i'll have a look still today.

There's a reason why I asked for help as I do have this problem of aiming too high. Unfortunately I can't achieve much of what I aim even though I try. And I'll keep trying.

In the end though, it all can be resumed in the immortal words of Monty Python's John Cleese as Pope in the last supper sketch " I may not know much about art but I know what I like"(tm) :D

/edit
Tested the table to see how it looked... I think you nailed perfect back and forth effect including timing. I need to digest all the code and try to add it to the script.

And I though that working with FP built-in special effects was hard...

@wild
Yes, that's what I'm thinking exactly. But the sequence is not 3-2-1 is 3-2-off when there's only one ball left. I supposed that if there were more players their score would show instead of disabling their displays. No references whatsoever so artistic creativity applies. I did watch different displays when not in MB mode but i'm a fan of Occam's razor and K.I.S.S. philosophy :D

By the way, Real Life(tm) sucks and gets in the way more often than not, hence there's no pinball for me the next few days :( I'll still read the forum though.

I can't thank you enough for the help in bringing this table closer to how I see it.

Last edited:
Apologies for digging up an old thread. Must be because I'm a fan on Indiana Jones :D

Seriously though, after asking for help I owe @Gin an apology for not being fast enough to use his help after he so promptly wrote the initial code I needed to get started.

The problem was that I've added multi-player to this table (huge headache) so the initial code wasn't quite enough and whenever I tried to comeback to the table I was stuck somewhere on this. Today I deleted everything and start fresh and few burned brain cells later it's done :)

And here it is a demo of everything working but I still need to write the code to actually use this while playing.

View attachment Future Pinball - © 2008 BSP Software Design Solutions 2022-01-08 05-58-55.mp4

I love this table and it is now a lot closer to release thanks to you Gin.

A great table to be sure, spent many an hour playing The Black Knight back then.

I know that and other videos. I now know who I can bug for input too :D

That table though seems to be updated with stronger flippers. Can you confirme please?

@AnonTet If you are referring to the flippers in the video, from memory, they were very much of that strength on a well maintained machine. Actually, I was surprised in the video that the player never seemed to make the left spinner ramp, which I know was possible, though not easy, in fact it was more possible with a well-timed left backflip as I recall.

Awesome information. I asked because I recall another video mentioning the very low slope angle (table went up to 5.7º if not mistaken from factory) because the solenoids weren't that strong at the time. And of course that video being from papapinball one never knows the "tune ups" it got.

I'll also make sure I can make that rubber on upper playfield stays every bit as bouncy as in the video. Tricky stuff though.

You've been nominated a volunteer :D for testing the table as soon as I think it's OK to release.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back