• This particular section gets infrequent use these days, so we'd honestly recommend you check out Pinside's Biz and Market sections as well.

Still, there's a load of history here that may help researchers. When using the "Search" button in upper right, be sure to choose "This forum."

Gift for Father

new2pinball

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Wizard
Hi all, new to the forum. I'm looking to get my father a pinball machine for Christmas (or if nothing comes up within a month, which is very reasonable, his birthday or next christmas). He always played space cadet on windows, and I remember him telling me how much he used to play growing up. One time a few years ago, he seemed really taken with a pinball machine in someone's house. I have played some pinball at the local arcade (I'm in uni), but by and large know nothing about a) what's a good machine to play and b) what to choose given the many themes and options. He was born in 1960, so probably played the 70s machines the most. My budget is going to be about $1500 I think, but that's a rough estimate, and would be willing to spend a bit more for a substantially better gift.

Thanks!

new2pinball

i'm sure there's a bunch of sweet 70's machines in that price range (or less) that he'd enjoy. maybe you could fish around for what some of his favorite machines were and go from there.

another option-- if you two like projects and have time to spend together on one, buy one or more electro-mechanical (or solid state) fixer-uppers and spend time getting it working, you and your dad together. the good news is that the level of expertise required is surprising modest, there's loads of help available, and best of all you get that great feeling of having done it yourselves, as a team. also, the bang goes that much further for the buck that way.

just some thoughts.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Wolfkell is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back