Gottlieb Solved Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Gottlieb, 1978) display problem

excaliburlives

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Pinbot
I just bought my first machine and want to try and fix it myself. The machine light s up and everything but the display board doesnt show anything and wont play. Could this be a main board problem? I re-pinned the connectors that went to the board beacuse of battery damage. The board has some spots where the battery leaked and i thinki might need a new board. Any suggestions?

Solution
Ok, i tested the power supply and i was getting 60.4 volts. I checked all the fuses and found 1 blown fuse underneath the flippers. I jumped it out and it was the fuse for the ball kicker when i start the game ( i was wondering why the ball wouldnt come out) and now the ball kicks when i start a game but no displays. Game works fine right now if i don't mind keeping score. Ant other ideas i can try?

With the power off, disconnect all of the displays except for one. See if it lights up. If so, disconnect it and plug in the next and so one. If you don't, you can fry your new board. Make sure to unplug and plug these in with the power off. One shorted display can cause the rest not to work. Make sure to get a new fuse in that...
i know where to get it, just want to make sure thats the problem first. don't want to pay$180 if that's not whats wrong with it.

Ok, i just bought the NI-WUMPF Gottlieb® System 1 Replacement CPU Board and the machine starts up and makes sounds now. Targets work and everything however the display still shows nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Ok, i just bought the NI-WUMPF Gottlieb® System 1 Replacement CPU Board and the machine starts up and makes sounds now. Targets work and everything however the display still shows nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Remove the connector on the top right side of the power supply. Using pin 5 as a ground for your meter, check for 60 volts on pin 1 the top most pin. Could be a bad power supply or a fuse. Not sure were the fuses a located on your machine. I hope this help.

Ok, i tested the power supply and i was getting 60.4 volts. I checked all the fuses and found 1 blown fuse underneath the flippers. I jumped it out and it was the fuse for the ball kicker when i start the game ( i was wondering why the ball wouldnt come out) and now the ball kicks when i start a game but no displays. Game works fine right now if i don't mind keeping score. Ant other ideas i can try?

With the power off, disconnect all of the displays except for one. See if it lights up. If so, disconnect it and plug in the next and so one. If you don't, you can fry your new board. Make sure to unplug and plug these in with the power off. One shorted display can cause the rest not to work. Make sure to get a new fuse in that kicker your you could have trouble.

Solution
You da'man spammer! That was it, I have a bad player 2 display. The other 3 work fine. I'll order my new display today and get back to having. Thank you so much for the help!!! You saved alot of $ on a service call.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back