Gottlieb Solved Play Ball (Gottlieb, 1971) won't reset

Tommycanyouhearme

Inserted Coin
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
High Hand
My 1971 Gottlieb Play Ball machine which has worked fine for a long time all of a sudden won't finish resetting when started. Score motor just keeps running and the U relay is clicking back and forth. All of the score reels do reset to zero. Any suggestions as to what to check first?
Thank you for reading and any help you can offer!
Tom

Last edited:
Solution
Hello Dave,
I have located the problem and fixed it. While looking at the reset bank I noticed one of the springs that hold a metal plate to the coil was broken and the plate was lying under the bank. I replaced the spring and presto, the machine is up and running again. Thank you once again for your sharing your time and knowledge to help me keep my machines alive!
Tom
Does the runs counters reset also? What is the u relay marked as? Does the bank reset coil fire when it should? Check the schematic score motor circuit chain for all the relays that run the score motor and check those relays and switches. Are all the stack switches on the score and run units open at zero position?

Thank you Dave,

I will try to check all of these things but it may take a little while! Im not real good at this.

Runs and Score do reset to zero, U relay is marked Vari-target reset, bank reset does fire when it should. Im not sure what you mean in regards to the last part.

The vari targets might not be resetting completely. If its not the blade switch on the vari target will still be closed, keeping the u relay pulled in. Check for smooth operation of the vari targets on its advance latching and the release coil operation . Any such binding will keep the vari target blade switch from opening, and releasing the u relay, keeping the score motor running.

Hello Dave,
I have located the problem and fixed it. While looking at the reset bank I noticed one of the springs that hold a metal plate to the coil was broken and the plate was lying under the bank. I replaced the spring and presto, the machine is up and running again. Thank you once again for your sharing your time and knowledge to help me keep my machines alive!
Tom

Solution
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back