Williams Hot Tip (Williams, 1977) Help

zim1756

Retrocade
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
All
I have been working on a friend of mine's '77 Williams Hot Tip (EM). It has a strange issue that I cant seem to figure out. It has 2 ball catches; one up top center, and one lower left side rail. Plays fine until you're in double bonus and the ball ends up in the upper ball catch. When this happens, play field lights dim for about 1-2 seconds then trips the 10 amp GI fuse. I have installed a circuit breaker to reset the lights. The GI circuit will not reset until the ball in play, drains. I have replaced the fuse holder, all bulbs, checked all sockets, and replaced the upper ball catch relay. Problem is still there. The only bulb I can't get to light up is the #3 horse shoe light on the lower play field at the top, right of the play field score light tree. I have cleaned all contacts, adjusted switches, tested all voltages, and continuity all over the machine. Cleaned every score real and checked brass on the Bakelite. No problems found.
Please help. I have about 60 hours labor in this game. FRUSTRATION LEVEL AT MAX!!!

Plays fine until you're in double bonus and the ball ends up in the upper ball catch. When this happens, play field lights dim for about 1-2 seconds then trips the 10 amp GI fuse.

Is there a short or a miswired component at the upper ball catch, ball catch relay circuit, etc.? Are there operator switches or jumpers to control the game play settings?
Maybe one of those is short or miswired.

Does that upper ball catch work in single ball play?

Is there a short or a miswired component at the upper ball catch, ball catch relay circuit, etc.? Are there operator switches or jumpers to control the game play settings?
Maybe one of those is short or miswired.

Does that upper ball catch work in single ball play?

Upper ball catch works fine until you are in double bonus. All other play seems to be fine. I don't find any mis-wired items and the circuit seems to check fine. I did find, after servicing the pop bumper, a socket leg that had been broken and someone soldered a wire to it then to the braided ground loop. Doesn't seem to be pulling more amperage but maybe to much resistance? Not sure but I have one on the way. Thanks.

if you dont have the manual for the machine it can be downloaded and be printed out from pinball database. the manual has each relay pics, switches and wire / wire colors info. check all wires that go to double bonus relay, no.3 relay and top advance unit for correct wiring location and that none of the wires are touching other wires or connections

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "(mis)Adventures in Cooking".
      Back