Help with ST-TNG

mapinto

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
st-tng
I am new to this forum and need some very basic help. I have an autistic son who loves Star Trek-TNG pinball. I was not aware that a virtual game existed until he some how found it. I need very detailed instructions on where to find the proper files, which ones to download and how to set up the game on his computer. He wants me to "fix it" but I don't know how. If this has been covered before I apologize for doing it again but it would make him very happy to play this on his computer. I downloaded the "visual install pack" but don't have a clue of what to do next. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Welcome. :)

Install the Visual Install Pack on the computer, then at the top of the pinballnirvana page go to Downloads (might have to click Downloads twice). Look for the Visual PinMAME (304) and within that box then look for VPM Tables Q-T and click it to open. Then click page 2, or use the following link and scroll down until you see Star Trek: The Next Generation and click on the name with the Zip file icon next to it.

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/index...download&sid=40&min=20&orderby=titleA&show=20

Unzip this download, or just the .vpt file and .hta (a .hta file is a help file if included in the zip, and is not needed to play the game) inside of this download to the Pinball\Tables folder that is created when you install the Visual Install Pack.

Go to www.ipdb.org for the ROM.zip for ST:TNG.
Here you find the ROMs by searching for the pinball game by name:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=S...ation&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Download the Pinmame Romsets for ST:TNG. Usually there is only one ROM.zip that is needed, but for this game, download all 3 Pinmame Romsets to the Pinball\Roms folder.
Keep the ROMSETS ZIPPED. Do Not Unzip these.

Then open Visual Pinball (VPinball.exe) and try the table.

NOTE: If the VPinball.exe installed by the Visual Install Pack uses 8.1 in the name of the .exe, then download and unzip the first ST:TNG file from pinballnirvana.
If the VPinball.exe has a 9 in the name, then download the second ST:TNG in the pinballnirvana list (the one that says for Visual Pinball 9xx.

And you can upgrade Visual Pinball by installing the VIP kit, then download the Visual Pinball9.12 EXE ONLY. This is not the full installer version, just an upgrade .exe that will run on any Visual Pinball installation including the VIP.
Then download and unzip the Visual Pinball 9 version of ST:TNG.

Let us know how it works out.

I almost have it. The game runs but the actors voices and theme music are barely audible even with my speakers set all the way up. Any suggestions? also where can I get keyboard controls for st tng. I can't figure out how to start the game. Thanks

The "-" and "=" keys change the rom (voices) volume

The 4, 5, 6 keys are like dropping in quarters to add credits.

The 1 key is the start button.
I think the 2 key is the "continue" key to burn credits at the end for an extra ball.

And if you see the COIN DOOR IS OPEN message in the DMD (the scoreboard) after adjusting the volume, then press the END key to close or open it.

You can adjust the commercial game settings like number of balls, replay score (the score needed to win a Replay), adult speech on/off (ST:TNG doesn't have adult content, though other games might) etc. by pressing the END key to open the coin door, then press the 0 (zero) key twice, then press the 8 or the 9 key to cycle through the game adjustments and press 0 (zero) to select.
Then press the 7 key repeatedly to return to game mode.

If you get stuck with the game controls, or when the game behaves badly, then go to the vpinmame\cfg folder and delete the STTNG.cfg file. Deleting a .CFG file will reset the game and create a new .cfg file with default commercial game settings for ST:TNG or for any other game having .cfg problems.

Thanks guys

All those keys seem to work but when i press the - and = button no volume changed on the voice. Game plays great besides all the bumpers and everything being so much louder. Any idea why it is not changing the volume ?

Just did Tales from the Crypt. Cool game and works great !

Man i wish i discovered this visual pinball a long time ago !!!

About STTNG, press the END key to "open the coin door".
You might see a "coin door open" warning in the DMD.
Press the 8 or the 9 key to adjust the volume.
The 9 key turns up the volume.
Then press the END key to "close the coin door".

I apologize for not seeing this post sooner, though I am not an employee, merely an amateur.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: roachie has left the room.
      Back