Hey Kids, What Time Is It?

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
Were you one of the millions of grade school kids who raced home every afternoon, turned on the television, and hollered, “It’s Howdy Doody Time”? Probably the first national kids show airing in the afternoon, The Howdy Doody Show truly was Must See TV all during the 50's, and into the early 60's. It became a model for other kiddy shows that followed, such as Captain Kangaroo, Soupy Sales, Pinky Lee, The Mickey Mouse Club, and Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood. Howdy and Buffalo Bob Smith combined entertaining fun with lessons on safety, manners and respect.

They were joined by Clarabell, a zebra-suited clown who never did speak. Instead, Clarabell let a seltzer bottle, which he chased people with, and sometimes sprayed them with, do all his talking. The first Clarabell was Bob Keesham, who eventually became famous as Captain Kangaroo. But Howdy, Buffalo Bob, and Clarabell had a lot of help in entertaining all us kids.

There were a number of other puppets besides red-haired, freckled Howdy, who were often part of little morality plays, which always had a lesson to teach. There was Dilly Dally, Howdy’s simple pal who liked to dance and sing. We all hissed and booed whenever we saw Phinias T. Bluster, who was evil minded and ill-tempered. He might have been Howdy’s uncle, although time makes me unsure.

And who could forget Flubadub, a mystery animal who seemed to be part duck, part wiener dog, and all confused. He wore a plaid vest, an old-fashioned black, hand-tied bow tie, and a funny hat with a daisy sticky from the top. I sort of remember Flubadub having magical powers that somehow never did work exactly the way he had planned.

Buffalo Bob wore Buckskin, possibly a gift from the nearby Indian village. Howdy and Buffalo Bob were often visited by two of the Indians, Chief Thunderthud, who had a painted face and sported a head dress of feathers, and Princess SummerFall WinterSping, who often performed rain dances.

Many of the lessons were taught through songs that Howdy and good old Buffalo Bob would sing. These songs might be about brushing your teeth, saying your prayers at bed time, or helping your mom and dad around the house. Silly, confused Dilly Dally used to remind us to look both ways before crossing the street, or why it was polite to say please and thank you.

Captain Kangaroo was on in the morning, before school, but most of others were either on afternoons, or on Saturday morning. While they all proved popular, Howdy Doody was always my favorite. Why, I even remember Howdy’s sponsors, and the live commercials that we all loved so much. Wonder Bread, with red, yellow, and blue balloons on it’s wrapper, built strong bodies twelve ways. Hostess made Cup Cakes and Twinkies with cream filling inside, and Bosco was a chocolate syrup you added to your milk, which, in addition to tasting good, left you with a chocolate moustache.

Besides watching Howdy Doody every day after school, I even had a Howdy marionette puppet, which you made move with strings that were attached to his arms and legs. Sometimes I’d make my Howdy dance along with the real Howdy. My Howdy, just like the real one, had a movable mouth. I never did learn to throw my voice, or sound like Howdy, but that isn’t important when you are an awe-struck old little boy sitting in front of your TV in Cincinnati Ohio.

that's way too early for a youngun like me!
I do recall the Wonderama show though
and Captain kangaroo and Bozo the Clown
then Soupy Sales came along

Kukla, Fran and Ollie is older by 2 months. Had to look that up but I always thought it was 1st. I remember it more that Howdy Doody, but I remember no substance from either, just quirks like The lady was good but made a swallowing motion often while throwing her voice.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back