how do i get rid of that ennoying sound when i press 1 and hit the bumpers on a new

dejanne

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
the adam's family
I'ts like 4 times hammer

I'm answering to such an old thread!

Not sure about FP or which tables these might be, but if it's like Visual Pinball, in the editor screen at the top taskbar you can try clicking something like Table > Sound Manager. Find the offending sound file by clicking on it and pressing the Play button to check.
When you find it, you can Delete it, but this will remove the sound permanently.

A better method might be to try finding it in the Sound Manager, then open the script for the table and look for the line that says PlaySound "NameOf LoudHammerFile"
and put an apostrophe ' in front of the PlaySound line to Comment it out.
Using a ' character to comment the line stops it from being active. This will stop the sound from playing without deleting the file permanently.

If you later want the sound file to play, then simply remove the ' in front of the PlaySound line.

Hey, newbie here.

He might mean "reelclick". A new game, like one I'm working on and it puts in this "cluck-cluck-cluck-cluck" racket as soon as you start or.....hit targets. My guess is it's to simulate the racket of the old electromechanical wheels clicking around.

As sleepy said, I looked for a "playsound". Didn't find one.

So! Into the sound manager we go. Find REELCLICK. Delete! Presto!

Hey, it worked for me. YMMV.

-B

Well stupid me!

Note that this method only works for sounds that are assigned to EMReels.
For All other Objects ("Pinball Parts") and their sounds, use the original suggestions.

In the Editor screen you can also try clicking on the Backdrop button in the menu on the left side where all of the pinball parts are. This will open the Backdrop editing screen. Also click on the Options button to open it on the right-side of the Editor screen.

Then click on any of the EMReels placed on the Table Backdrop to highlight each one in Blue and check the Options menu on the right-side of the screen.
You are looking for the EMReel's State > Sound pull-down.
Click the pull-down window to deselect the offending sound, but you will probably need to look in the Sound Manager and test the sounds there to find the correct name for the offending sound.

And that...this method is Difficult because you need to be able to identify the EMReels that are placed in the table. You can also try opening the Script window and from the top left pull-down select each EMReel. This will automatically find and highlight the EMReel that you clicked in the script listings, but many authors like to change the name of an EMReel to something else that makes absolutely no sense at all to anyone else when you are trying to find them from the list.

Stupid? Nyahh. Like I said, fast and dirty fix. The rest is VERY helpful! Like I said, I'm learning and at my age, new stuff takes....um....lessee.....well, a lot longer.

Still, thanks! Owe ya!

-B

I'm the stupid one. Don't forget it.

Hi mister b, are you interested in making tables? And as for "learning new stuff at my age", anything is possible. I wasn't even computer literate 5 years ago. (Going to be 47 in June).

I'm game. At the moment, I'm testing one that's about driven me scatty. Could use some scripting help, yes. Someone wants to see it, lemme know.

And as for literate, I was always better with PLC's......sigh...

can ya' post the link to it so we can help ya'?

Showing my newbie now. Link? Que? More data, please.

Gracias!

A Link is shorthand for a Hyperlink, one of those funny URL lines in a forum message that you can click on to open another webpage.

If you or someone else has a VP table or project file or a picture online
then you can reply by typing or copy/paste the link so someone can look at the picture or download the project, that is, if you want others to work on it.

If you want to learn it yourself, then that is one of the main reasons that the Visual Pinball/VPinMame/Future Pinball forums exist. You can try scripting and building a table yourself and ask questions about how to do things in VP/VPM/FP or post the part of the code where you are having trouble figuring how it should be written in order to work,
and stump the rest of us too.

One thing. There is a Great Misconception by many noobies who believe that VP script uses the Microsoft Visual Basic programming language. Not so.

Both VP/VPM and FP use Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting which is a very small sub language that was originally designed for tasks in webpages. VB Script will not allow you to create a standalone program with a window and user interface (a GraphicalUserInterface like the one that you are reading right now).

And in VP/VPM/FP this sublanguage is used only to pass instructions to the Table Player at runtime. Most everything that you can do in VP/VPM/FP is from the internal methods that are hard coded (with no custom options available other than what is provided) inside the editor and player, not from the script except for a small handful of tricks using COM Objects. The COM Objects may not be available on all computers and they have to be installed separately to work, so most table authors stick to the normal internal hard coded VP methods to create their tables.

Mostly, when you write the table script, you are writing code to do two things.
To Call the internal methods to do whatever is available in the VP program and/or to pass data, the score and points made by hitting a Bumper, etc., to the internal code and/or to an internal Object, the ScoreText display, etc..

Last edited:
Oh, you making fp? I didn't know that. I know the coding is similar, but I've never built in fp. Vp, however..., just call me uncleitchy...

I just prefer FP to VP, that's all. Tried both, I like FP better.

The table's very raw, no art and still the ring-ding stuff. My goal at the moment is to smooth out the script, as, when it's time to add up the bonus, I couldn't think of a way to do a sexy "countdown" like seen on other tables. So, it just "clangs", adds, resets, on we go.

Keep in mind, it's my first attempt! Lots to learn, yes, and critique is more than welcome.

-B

Hey, it's better than my first attempt. But I was teaching myself windows as well as the editor. When I started here I didn't even know how to send a picture as an attachment, or what an attachment even was.
(My first table, and my latest).

Attachments

• Rube Goldberg.JPG
    Rube Goldberg.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 329
  • Distant_World_Desktop.jpg
    Distant_World_Desktop.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 336
FP huh? well okay but I too don't ever build in FP
I prefer VP (better physics)
the spinner area is a bit tiny for the ball to make it thru okay
or move the posts out a bit more for better ball clearance
and the ball seems to float way too much even for a FP pin
other than that it plays okay
nice layout too may I add

Attachments

• UFO.JPG
    UFO.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 339
Well, the layout's based on Stern's "Meteor" from 1979. Loved the game, thought the movie stank. I laid it out basically from an image, didn't copy it directly, no, so it's an interpretation of the layout.

A note: I deliberately added 2 posts to shut down the outside escapes. This was so I could speed up play testing without the ball going home early. These will be removed on the later model, after I've gotten it to work properly.

And yes, you're not alone about the learning curve. As I said elsewhere, I'm more comfy with AB Slick's and how to program those. Otherwise, write, test, write, test, curse, rewrite, test, curse some more and.....well, as I said, it does add the scores!

I would appreciate any help to:
-Add a scoring "countdown" feature and...
-An attract mode.

UFO? It just popped in there as I worked on it. Anyways, with time, help, I'll remove the ding-ding for noises, add some sounds....

Again, thanks to all!

-B

A Scoring Countdown Feature. Sure.

You need a Timer to run the timing of the countdown.

And you need to create several Dim. A Dim is VBScript's name for a variable.
A variable is a container that holds whatever value you put inside of it.
A variable can store numbers, text, and in other languages, computer-generated sprites and images and sounds (for video games), whole pictures, videos and sound files, and control data.

We want a Dim to store the Bonus value.
Let's name this Dim Bonus, and you create a the Dim by stating it outside of all Subs and Function paragraphs so that it is A Public Dim accessible from any part of the script by the program.

When you create one by stating, say, Dim Bonus, inside of a Sub or Function, then the Dim created is A Private Dim which can only be accessed by the program inside of the Sub or Function that it was created in. All other parts of the script cannot touch a private Dim.

We want another Dim to receive the Bonus value when we countdown while saving the value in the first Dim for multiple bonus Let's name this Dim BonusCountdown

We might want another Dim to store the Multiplier value, 2X, 3X, 5X, and so on.
Let's create this one as Dim BonusMultiplier

So okay. In the Sub Drain() when the ball hits the drain, we then enable the Timer and add the line.

Timer1.Enabled = True
BonusCountdown = Bonus

Man, I'm sorry. Me or someone else will need to pick this up later.
I'm having linoleum installed Right Now and things are Very Busy at the moment.

I'll be back, or anyone else, feel free to continue in my place.

for the easiest attract mode use the pf lights set up to flash at different rates
download my Klingon Vs Romulan pin from this site
take a look at the attract mode I set up using the existing lights
set up to blink at different intervals
I can do this to yours too if you like
http://www.speedyshare.com/VUz4w/Klingon-vs-Romulan-v1.zip

I'll check this out later. I've kitties to feed! And me!

Oh, I widened the spinner to a medium. Uploaded, yes. Plays a LOT faster now, so be warned!!

-B

Attract mode- easy. My Distant World table is on the front page. Essentially, when the game is over a timer starts. It gets to the interval, and says "FEED ME SEYMOUR"! Yes, my table talks. The timer is turned off the second you hit start. Do whatever you like during that period.

Well wouldn't you know it, the FP syntax appears to differ from the VP version and I'll probably need to study the FP Manual a bit. After installing FP, you can find the Manual under Start > All Programs > Future Pinball > Future Pinball Manual.

Looking at the script I see pre-written Dim for things like BonusMultiplier, so I don't know if there is a built-in routine for creating animated bonus countdowns or not, but if there is and for being familiar with Black's VP work, it might work by placing Bonus Lights on the table and then assigning them to a Collection and then passing this BonusLights Collection to whatever Bonus Countdown routine, if any, is built-in to FP.

Else you'll need to script a variant of the VP version, which is what I started to describe above, but using the FP syntax (the way of declaring things by using proper FP grammar) for it to work in FP.

that's why both me and Itchigo haven't yet coded anything for him
he is using FP which is vastly different than vp

Hmmm...can't be impossible, but it does take time to figure it out.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: MMITG is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back