I'm going to the Fleetwood Mac Concert on the 3rd of July

sleepy

Pinball Wizard
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Titanic Hospital
My kindly Brother-in-Law slipped me a ticket and I might not have gone otherwise. I still remember listening to "Go Your Own Way" on the floor at Warner Bros. while shipping out the Rumours demos back in the day. So I'll be at the Staples Center tomorrow.

My thoughts are, am I getting old? Are they getting old? How does it feel?
"Sad Angel" (their new song) sounds pretty good to me.

So I'll be getting out of here for the evening.
I thought about taking my el-cheapo Vivitar still/video camera along, in case Nicholson is there, but Staples says still cameras are o.k. and video/audio recorders of any kind are not.
I don't want to be confiscated or denied entry.

you're old when you can take a look at the Rolling Stones
and say "Hey I remember when Kieth Richards was young
with NO wrinkles!"

as for cameras they can't stop everyone who owns a smartphone
that can record video like most of them can nowadays
so how do they handle the phone problem?
I'd take a normal camera though just in case

But my el-cheapo Vivitar looks like a camera.
And there's that "greetings jingle" that it plays when turning it on too...

My thoughts are, am I getting old? Are they getting old? How does it feel?
Sadly, you both are getting older but I'm sure there are more of you than the band, Bob Welch died last year and I just dunno how many are touring? I think I originally saw Fleetwood Mac during their rumors tour at Madera Speedway in Ca, Rod Stewart was the headliner but he was blasted and falling around, Black Sabbath was king on that day outside!

I also was at another outdoor concert and saw Bob Welsh (solo, French Kiss tour) AND Fleetwood Mac headlining.
Have a great time sleepy, we're getting older!
:band:

And I see The Eagles are touring in The East. Ian Anderson is playing "Thick as a Brick" at The Greek this month (or was it last month?). He played Aqualung on tour last year.
Steely Dan will be here in August.
And The Moody Blues will be here before year's end. That is a surprise.

You know Jon, I posted about The Moody Blues and afterwards I remembered that you like some of their songs. So yes, they are touring this year and I dunno if they are coming to your area or ???

Steely Dan will be playing nightly for a week at a specific location in New York, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

EDIT: Beacon Theatre, NY Sept. 30-Oct. 8, each night a different album or set.
Man, they ain't cheap.

Last edited:
Just saw, perhaps, my favorite free outdoor concert of all time on the 22nd of June, it was at The Rochester jazz Fest and was Dr. John, the dude really loves what he's doing, is great and might be 70!

The local Jazz Fest was great but pales in comparison to 'Nawlins Jazz Fest, truly the best party in the world.

What bothered me about our Jazz Fest? They had some bands in the Eastman Theater that were promoted as part of the fest and cost $75.00 to see, each. I saw Peter Frampton for free a couple of yrs. ago and they wanted 75? Rodger Hodgson (brilliant) cost 80 and I saw Supertramp for about 20 5 yrs. ago. Come to think of it, I saw Frampton and Supertramp for about $ 6.00 each in 1976.

Was listening to the Moody Blues in the chat room when I read your post, seen them around 15 times!
:cheers:

Yeah, I think I saw both Frampton and Hodgson for free back when I was working deliveries in Hollywood, though they weren't singing at the time!

BIG MISTAKE Jon. Justin Hayward is playing SOLO in Albany on Aug. 6.
Like I said in the CORRECTION, The Moodys are mixing their group and solo tour announcements on that darned page.

I haven't gone to many concerts in my life, but in my senior year in high school there was this dude, Michael O'Neil, and he was from the previous graduating class at Poly High, Sun Valley, and he came back in our year '72 to play an impromptu concert, and that guy channeled Hendrix Perfectly. He had the guitar and the fire and the voice to a T.

He later became a studio guitarist and toured as backup with George Benson.
Funny thing, I also shipped the George Benson demo for his breakthrough album, "Breezin'" while at Warner Bros./Creative Services in 76-77.

So I went to the concert...and ran into James Ellroy! He was at the McDonald's at Staples, where a Quarter Pounder goes for $5 and the combo meal $7. A medium soft drink is $5 and a beer from any of the Staples Center bars will set you back $12.

They checked for cameras at the entrance. No cameras or cell phones allowed.

I was in the seating section commonly referred to as "The Nosebleed Seats", 30 ft. from the ground below at a slope of roughly 60 degrees, with a walkspace between the rows of seats of 5 inches. In other words, None.
And almost no railings at all, just knee-high clear plexiglass sheets. A rough choice for anyone who suffers from vertigo. Others in this section used their Androids to record the concert. The guy next to me was phoning in each and every song to one of his friends on the outside. These were $89 seats, mid-priced.

The accoustics at Staples are A Pig's Eye. It is horrible when the room resonance and echoes are louder than the source speakers; several in-house sets of radial arrays filling an oval bowl-shaped arena with zero sound damping. Everything that Lindsey or Stevie had to say or sing was blurred beyond recognition, and there was one song that I could not even recognize due to the acoustic distortions caused by the venue's design. This of course did not allow the guy with the Android to make much of his recordings to friends.

The band was Great. They opened with Second Hand News, The Chain, and Dreams.
Wonderful stuff and the 2 1/2 hr. show felt much shorter than it was.
They closed with "Go Your Own Way" which was slightly disappointing as the energy of this song was withheld somewhat while the arrangement was delivered 1 step down in pitch from the original version due to aging vocal chords.
Stevie Nicks avoided the high notes of her songs, but did very well with her vocals.

The encore finished with "Don't Stop", which was the only Christine McVie song in the entire set.

Thanks for the report sleepy, sounds like it was a nice experience but I wouldn't have been there if the audio was screwed up.

The vertigo now sounds scary to me, I was fine with heights until I got delayed on a giant ferris wheel 10 yrs. ago. Hope Stevie was fine, wanted to screw her for awhile...:bandit:

You know, that's funny Jon. When I was a novice at Warner Bros., out of the blue without any provocation on my part, in a totally off-hand way, one of the demo crew asked me, "Wouldn't you want to get into her pants?". I was left speechless.

It left me wondering if that statement was "WB Orthodox"?

When I was a teenager Stevie Nicks was THE hot chick. Now when I googled her bio I realized that she's about the same age as my mother. :D

They were coming to Finland too.... but cancelled due to poor ticket sales. Ticket prices over 100€ was probably the main reason.

Great band.

PS: There's an obscure Mac album: "Time". Bekka Bramlett is the vocalist instead of Nicks. That's surprisingly good album although it received bad reviews.

The first attachment is a picture of my paper E-ticket.
The second picture shows the nosebleed section. That is the seating area between the two rows of lights at the top above the Panasonic video hub.

It looks to be an angle of 45 degree up there. Still, with little railing and no walkway space along the rows of seats these are the scariest seats in L.A. AFAIK. Looking down at that angle with no visible railing and with seatbacks at the height of the soles of your shoes, looking down into the cavernous bowl makes me consider that these are "Fellini Seats", conjuring free-floating dread and doom at a disconnect to the festivities.
And then the lights fell to darkness, revealing a panoramic sea of LED stars and fireflies at the unbelievable angle, like an abyss.

And the third picture is of the classy Guest Pass that I received while exiting for the subway. I was called out by an employee in the main lobby and was handed this without asking. I could have traded seats and I didn't know it.
I also found out there was a second encore of "Silver Springs" and "Say Goodbye" that I missed, but travel logistics and a curfew on the transportation demanded that I had to leave when I did, else sleep or mill about on the streets 'til morning, or call a not-cheap taxi.

Darn. I like "Silver Springs".

Attachments

• FM.JPG
    FM.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 229
  • nosebleed.jpg
    nosebleed.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 224
  • FM2.jpg
    FM2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
I haven't heard "Time", and I'd like to give it a listen. Of course they skipped the Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and the later non-Nicks/Buckingham tunes.

That is odd considering that the Peter Green/FM era is where the song "Black Magic Woman" came from, not Santana.

Found this thread based on the "Chat Program" link!

Was listening to the Moody Blues in the chat room when I read your post, seen them around 15 times!
I tried singing "Question" a couple times at Karaoke Night the past year, and it went well. It's not too hard too sing in terms of range, but it does require some power and emotion (borderline anger, really), and left me kind of gaspiing for breath after the halfway point.

What I found interesting was that most of the audience didn't really know the song (I'm guessing), but nevertheless seemed to connect pretty easily with the theme of frustrated anger.

I'm thinking I should try another of their songs when the restaurant starts offering Karaoke Night again. Pretty sure Nights in White Satin is well beyond my capabilities, but maybe there's something else that could work.

EDIT: Shit, I just realised I was getting the MB's and Jethro Tull mixed up while I was writing this. But really, aren't there some similarities?

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: jumpyspider is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back