In Defense Of The Lowly Penny

tiltjlp

PN co-founder
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Flying Trapeze 1934
There has been discussion during recent years of doing away with the one cent coin, the penny. Those in favor say that the copper has outlived it’s usefulness, that it has no practical value. I oppose retiring this noble coin to the monetary hall of fame, and I come armed with convincing arguments, and with a nostalgic lilt to my lonely voice, for it does have an intrinsic value.

Think of all the familiar and obscure sayings that will no longer have a point of reference. A Penny For Your Thoughts. You might joke that you were paying too high a price for a collected empty-headed nonsense, but the opposite is true. If you have the time and foresight to heed the words of others, you can harvest many a pearl of wisdom. Who hasn’t enjoyed the pleasure of sitting and listening while a four year-old recounts the adventure of living and experiencing life’s mysteries for the very first time? Think of the joy in a child’s gleeful giggle.

Your Two Cents Worth. Talk about something that usually is over- priced. When most of us offer our two cents worth, more often we are presenting arguments against someone else’s opinion or course of action. And much of the time our position is grounded on less than solid footing. How often has someone’s enthusiasm for life been dashed by discouraging words whose origin is jealousy, envy, or spite? Why do so many of us have trouble allowing someone to bask in the sunlight, enjoying their moment of fame? Why do we insist on raining on everyone’s parade?

Ponder for a moment all the wonderful little things in our lives that would lose their meaning. None of those marvelous mechanical banks from the 19th and 20th centuries would work, since one red cent triggered their amusing antics. If pennies are really from heaven, should we fool around with that? I sure don’t want to tempt fate. And what would housewives and grandmothers find in the bottom of their purses?

And think of all the empty-handed toddlers we would end up with. A toddler without a shiny penny in his or her hand or pocket will lose one of the all time cheap thrills. Sure, they may not know it won’t buy them anything, but isn’t that part of the magic? A little child is perfectly happy running nowhere, clinching that worthless copper-colored circle of metal. It’s all their’s, and no one will get upset if and when they lose it along the way. A lot to ask of a lowly little penny, isn’t it?

What has been suggested, should the noble penny is allowed to expire; rounding off odd-cent purchases to the nearest nickel. Just how long do you think it would take before everything is pushed upward to the next nickel. Would you really waste your precious time arguing over pennies? I for one don’t feel like enriching corporate America any more than I already do.

The most important reason for not forsaking the penny has to do with the human spirit. All except the most wealthy of Americans has a penny jar, and for a goodly number of us, pennies are all we can afford to save. Anyway, what would we call penny candy if not penny candy. Sure, it sells for $1.99 for eight pieces, but it’s charm would end if we called it dollar candy.

Are we simply to forget the historical importance of our one cent coin? As if there never had been penny post cards, and what will become of penny loafers? Would the Fab Four’s ditty, Penny Lane ring true if it were renamed Silver Dollar Circle. Theater goers would lose their Three Penny Opera. I’ll wager that one of those Three Coins In A Fountain was a penny.

In the days prior to circuit breakers, a penny kept many a weak fuse going just a little longer. And what of the post office and their one cent make-up stamp, would they simply start raising the price of first class mail a nickel at a time, adding more fuel to inflation? More power to the penny!

A sacred rite of passage for grade school males has always been pitching pennies. Are we to deny school teachers that tool of learning, the lecture on the evils of gambling? And who didn’t use a penny, taped to it’s nose, to make a 50's era toy glider fly just so? I wonder if those ten-cent gliders are still made and sold today, allowing youngsters flights of fancy. Are we to simply turn our backs on the glorious one-cent coin, after it has been such a big part of our lives?

And if you are at least of baby boomer age, the words, ”a penny’s worth”, will conger up some pleasant memories. Surely you recall standing in front of a glass-fronted candy case, trying to decide which items would best satisfy your sweet tooth. And just a few cents worth of the right candy could fuel your sweet tooth nearly all day. Memories such as these are truly priceless, and worth preserving.

I say, "fuck the penny." A penny is basically worthless in today's society. I am tired of picking them up everywhere I go. Kids and young adults just throw them on the ground. My dad said it takes two seconds to pick up a penny, so that is 30 cents a minute times 60 minutes in a hour for 18 bucks per hour, so until you make 18 bucks an hour, pick up the damn penny.

They are made of mostly zinc now and that is poisonous when ingested by pets.

Everyone has a big jar full of pennies, it's not even worth the time it takes to count them and roll them up.

The government losses their ass on the production of pennies.

So once again I say, "fuck the penny" and you can take that to the bank.

yea IIRC it costs more than a penny to make a penny, even with the zinc. the economy being the way that it is, we don't have time for that noise.

apparently people are getting truckloads of pennies from banks, sorting out the wheaties and ones with higher copper content, and then cashing them in somewhere else, like to copper buyers and such. or simply melting them down, i think.

seems that copper has lost a little value the past year or two, but it's still a commodity. thieves all over the country are stealing it and trading it in. there was yet another story in national news yesterday or the day before talking about huge spools of copper wire being set up at a public works site for the next day's labor, and when the crew showed up in the morning, the spools were gone... carried away in pickup trucks and vans and stuff. each big spool was worth a few thousand bucks IIRC.

i like the penny just fine. i used to collect them as a kid, including the rarer ones, like those made at the san fran mint, the 1909 one stamped "VDB," a version of the double-struck dies, etc. i think i got all the lincoln issue, except for the really rare ones like 1909 SVDB, 1923, the valuable double-die one, the copper ones made during the war years when they were only supposed to be steel, etc.

at $50, $100, $500 a pop, etc, baseball cards and comic books had to win such battles. :)

In a way I might actually agree with both of you as a gut reaction. But I probably wrote this article close to 25 years ago, well before people began hoarding the older, higher copper content pennies.

Australian_2c_Coin.png

frill-necked lizard! neat!

in other news, the USA keeps trying to catch up with the rest of the world in currency tech. the new $100 has 3D holograms and stuff because the counterfeiters keep following suit.
EDIT: update below.

@tilt,
where were these articles originally published?

Last edited:
Australian_2c_Coin.png

frill-necked lizard! neat!

@tilt,
where were these articles originally published?

Many of my articles were published in Good Old Days magazine, the print media of House Of White Birches. In Defense Of The Lowly Penny was sold as part of a cassette offering.

At this point I wouldn't mind if they rounded everything to the nearest quarter.
Anything other than quarters I throw in the charity bin next to the register, but with many places not having those I still have a pile of change at home that just sits until I feed it into a vending machine somewhere just to get rid of it. And cents are no good in those so I've got at least a 2 gallon container of those now.

At this point I wouldn't mind if they rounded everything to the nearest quarter.
Anything other than quarters I throw in the charity bin next to the register, but with many places not having those I still have a pile of change at home that just sits until I feed it into a vending machine somewhere just to get rid of it. And cents are no good in those so I've got at least a 2 gallon container of those now.

The problem with rounding anything is that the consumer ends up on the short end just about every time. At one time a computerized test was done for 10 90 day cycles, and 8 of the 10 showed that businesses would profit many times over.

Funny, I still save my change. I built this desktop out of my change. It's a way to save money without taking directly out of my pocket.

Wither Coin-Star?

The Coin-star machine at the wife's work thrives on the lowly penny. After the cost over run of creating that penny the Coin-Star company takes 9% of the money customers pour into it. That is how many folks eventually relieve themselves of the burden of penny's saved. Their coins are converted to a receipt, minus that 9%, to redeem for folding money at customer service. Me... I make a point of spending the change I end up with. Since five years back that has been my economic stimulus package. I don't know for sure but I think putting those coins back in circulation may help save the economy in some small way. I feel eliminating the penny would be as futile as raising the minimum wage. It just raises the bar for everybody.

interesting topic and replies, as always. i know i'm frequently a pain in the ass to people, and i do feel appropriately sheepish for that. yet the explanation for that is semi-complicated, and who would want to hear, anyway? :)

my question is-- does anybody know where arne (sleepy) is? his last login date here that i looked up seemed 3+ weeks old... not just here, but rogue also... maybe VP.org is different...?

sleepy's last VPF post; ~1:30AM (Edit: 4:30 EDT) Aug 3rd. Last surfed Aug 6th. Apparently still alive, and I hope he can enjoy it.

Maybe he won an all-expenses-paid trip to Molly Atkinson's 'Pins And Needles'?

Hey, tiltjlp; I don't know how much time you've spent in, around, or thinking of Los Angeles CA, (wouldn't blame you if the answer was 'none') but years ago we had a newsman/commentator/humorist named Ralph Story. Before he passed, he did a show that is still run by PBS called "Things That Aren't Here Anymore", and a sequel, "More Things That Aren't Here Anymore". Your fond (or wistful) recollections remind me of his work, and while I can't hear or imagine the sound of your voice, I have no trouble 'dubbing' his onto your accounts.

Thanks, and keep'em coming. :cheers: (Fill your mug as you choose.)

Gregg

Last edited:
sleepy's last VPF post; ~1:30AM (Edit: 4:30 EDT) Aug 3rd. Last surfed Aug 6th. Apparently still alive, and I hope he can enjoy it.

Hey, tiltjlp; I don't know how much time you've spent in, around, or thinking of Los Angeles CA, (wouldn't blame you if the answer was 'none') but years ago we had a newsman/commentator/humorist named Ralph Story. Before he passed, he did a show that is still run by PBS called "Things That Aren't Here Anymore", and a sequel, "More Things That Aren't Here Anymore". Your fond (or wistful) recollections remind me of his work, and while I can't hear or imagine the sound of your voice, I have no trouble 'dubbing' his onto your accounts.

Thanks, and keep'em coming. :cheers: (Fill your mug as you choose.)

Gregg

I've never been west of the Mississippi, but I do seem to recognize the name Ralph Story for some reason. I'll have to do a search for his work. I like to think of myself as a Stuck In The Mud Observer. Remembering how things used to be, and wishing things would stop changing so quickly, I try to remind old and young alike the the good old days were better than what we have to put up with today.

Story went national as host of The $64,000 Challenge. but went back to local broadcasting after the gameshow scandal. If you're Googling, check his takes on the Angel's Flight funicular railway and the fleet of Helms Bakery trucks (preferably called 'coaches', I believe).

(Funicular?) Yep---and there appear to be a whole trainload of them.

Idea: What if the Japanese crossed a funicular with the Bullet Train?

Prob-bob-lee---and they'd better design a stronger brake!

Back in the early part of the 1900s, there were dozens of inclines in and around Cincinnati. They were all gone before my time but some of the scars were still pointed out when I was a boy. They sure make for some interesting reading about the areas history.

if the penny ever goes wayside whatever would we call Miss MoneyPenny
M's secretary in the James Bond Series...Miss Moneynickel?

With the nickname of Moneyplug?

thank you, sir! i guess he's just keeping it to pinball for the time being.

EDIT: cool stuff, steve!

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back