In Defense Of The Lowly Penny

okay, removed the first image. this is a better one, showing more of the special features of the new bills:

screenshot2012-10-15at8.58.02am.png

funny, it was just in the news again. apparently the mint screwed up and 30 million of the new bills were bungled in the printing process.

seems that the new bill was originally slated for release a couple years ago, but a series of snafus has delayed it. apparently thieves stole one of the first shipments, making them the first members of the public to handle them. yes, it's a right old clusterfluff!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/30-million-hundred-dollar-bills-152400942.html

is the penny the only us coin where the presidents face faces the right??

th

I have noticed/been wondering about Lincoln facing the other way for years. It is the only U.S. coin I have seen like this. He also has turned his back on liberty. I figure that's the way people from the south see it. Does true freedom include the right to secede from the nation? Does true freedom include the right to own slaves? Was Lincoln the beginning of the end of our liberty? That's a bit of a conundrum ... I don't have the answer.

"might makes right."

anyway, take a look at recent issues of the nickel. thomas jefferson faces right. apparently it is an old coin tradition that when a new design comes out, the head will face in the opposite direction as the previous version.

thumbing through one of my old guides looking for right-facing coins... a lot of half-cents, large cents, all indian head nickels, half dimes, dimes, quarters, half dollars, dollars, half eagles ($5) and eagles ($10) indeed faced right. the double eagle seems to be one of the rare coins that didn't feature a right-facing version.

8085099980_b066ebd2ed_z.jpg

one of my faves.

Roosevelt_Merged.jpg

lots of special issues, commemoratives, world's fair legal tender coins were probably right-facing, too.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: keefus is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back