looks very nice makes the right noises for coins
and start but the ball is invisible,
you can get the ball from kickout hole
place on pf start game and the score starts working
as it hits bumper but as said above ball is invisible
anyone any clues
thanks for any help:help:

Solution
I know this is over a year old, but I think it's rude when I see an unanswered post. So, to answer you question, the reason the ball is invisible is because the table image is a decal containing an angled image of the table. The decal is on the backglass and you'll see it takes up the whole area. You could do this in VP8 and get away with it in the absence of a proper table image.
VP9 processes things slightly differently. Especially objects on the backglass screen. Decals hide the ball, as you've experienced. Also lights used to be see-through on the backglass in VP8. They are not in VP9. Which means many of the tables that showed the score via images of numbers worked on VP8 by placing a light over the image in question, eg 10,000 and...
I know this is over a year old, but I think it's rude when I see an unanswered post. So, to answer you question, the reason the ball is invisible is because the table image is a decal containing an angled image of the table. The decal is on the backglass and you'll see it takes up the whole area. You could do this in VP8 and get away with it in the absence of a proper table image.
VP9 processes things slightly differently. Especially objects on the backglass screen. Decals hide the ball, as you've experienced. Also lights used to be see-through on the backglass in VP8. They are not in VP9. Which means many of the tables that showed the score via images of numbers worked on VP8 by placing a light over the image in question, eg 10,000 and as you passed 10000 points that light would light up, illuminating the image underneath. In VP9, the light just covers the imahe. You get the light, but you cannot see the image underneath.
I've been searching for a playfield image of Smarty, and if I find one, I'll make a VP9 version and publish it.

Cheers,
Greynurse

Solution
Considering how many tables use this technique, the easiest thing in these cases would be to use an earlier VP version.

VP8 is in the download section here, and VP7 was posted here recently (as an attachment) if anyone needs that particular one.

Wow Ike,
VP7. That's retro, even for me. I started using pinball editors only about 4 yrs ago when I wanted to play my Balls of Steel CD, but it wouldn't run on anything past Windows 95. Best move I ever made. So much to learn and so many ways to share the knowledge. Plus I was a pinny addict as a tyke. Used to steal my big brother's loose change when he wasn't looking, then off to the milk bar to play North Pole. Now I have 2000 tabl;es and I'm still hungry for more. I just might try VP7 if I vcan find it. Thanks.
Rockhouse, Ike Savage is right. Install VP8 if you haven't alraedy. Best to get the latest VP10 installer. It has VP8, 9 and 10 in one package and everything is installed properly for you. Then you can play Smarty and a good few other pre VP9 tables that will only play in VP8. And some of those tables are GOOD.

Here is VP7, courtesy of ArcAngel:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1INMPV_zOsAKaEI05rFy5IT4wNvK6gDLR/view

Here's an enormous treasure trove of older originals he uploaded that go back to the early aughts. Many are mediocre, but some are quite creative and a few are real classics:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bug-1hkHqbnFO0i78AgPFUn-HIyenjFg

"Balls of Steel," like a lot of stuff from the 90's, is the kind of thing you'd want to run on the DosBox emulator. It's not too hard to set up and run. Start with Google...

Wow Ike,
VP7. That's retro, even for me. I started using pinball editors only about 4 yrs ago when I wanted to play my Balls of Steel CD, but it wouldn't run on anything past Windows 95. Best move I ever made. So much to learn and so many ways to share the knowledge. Plus I was a pinny addict as a tyke. Used to steal my big brother's loose change when he wasn't looking, then off to the milk bar to play North Pole. Now I have 2000 tabl;es and I'm still hungry for more. I just might try VP7 if I vcan find it. Thanks.
Rockhouse, Ike Savage is right. Install VP8 if you haven't alraedy. Best to get the latest VP10 installer. It has VP8, 9 and 10 in one package and everything is installed properly for you. Then you can play Smarty and a good few other pre VP9 tables that will only play in VP8. And some of those tables are GOOD.

Hello.

Balls of Steel, along with 90% of the pinballs made for Dos run in Windows 95 and up to 10. I've tested them all and they work via using DosBox. PS: I can even run 95% of ANY Dos games in my Linux Mint.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: JonPurpleHaze has posted a new reply in the thread "What music are you listening to?".
      Back