shiva

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Trigon
Not a real formal announcement, but something I have been working on in my spare time. Off and on, I have been working on a new scoring and logic engine, called FPX, and a companion game called Jungle Girl.

You can see the post at GoPinball for the FPx Template engine here:
http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6389

At the present moment, I am working on bonus count routine code, based off of shivaEngine 2/3/4 so hopefully soon. After which I will do some polishing of the code, smoother timer routines, better lighting and display effects etc, and get a base template out.

Jungle Girl will be the companion game. The layout is designed, the rules are set, it's just the artwork to do, and all the graphics, before it's rebuilt using FPx. This is hard to believe, but this would be my first original table I have released by myself in 14 years !!!!

A long way off, as I also have other commitments, and it doesn't help that I keep on adding more things for me to do, but the engine and the game are my priority right now, so I will be getting back to work, as well as learning Unity and Pinball Creator.

In the meanwhile, here is the last version of the play field image that I put up on facebook.

Attachments

• a_pf.jpg
    a_pf.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 653
Started back up on this. just adding text/lens etc. Of all things, I didn't have any Bally arrows among my resources, despite the multiple Bally tables i have done. (I do now)

Anyway, I decided to just use what I have, stop playing around with it, and get the playfield finished so I can start scripting. Here's a closeup of the playfield at full resolution.

Attachments

• jg_10-1-17.png
    jg_10-1-17.png
    450.3 KB · Views: 530
That looks very good! :cheers::cheers:

Thanks Dan. I could use a couple those beers after this. Very proud of myself though, most of the images I used as a base were black and white, or dull colors, so I had to learn how to color them from scratch after the redraw/additions. Pretty damn good if I do say so myself, but I will try and not separate my shoulder patting myself on the back, still have a lot to do.

Tii = Tim

Dan is my brother ;)

Oops. As the great movie Slap Shot quoted... "i feel shame"

How come it's listed as Dan on my Facebook?

Last edited:
Oops. As the great movie Slap Shot quoted... "i feel shame"

How come it's listed as Dan on my Facebook?

because you can only use one person's name.
he's the front man and I'm the drummer so he gets it :wave:

SPACE GRINGOS =
Dan Moffett - AX Synth, Multi-Track Looper, Vocals
Tim Moffett - Multi-Set Electric Drums

Attachments

• gg1.jpg
    gg1.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
PF getting close to being done, at least for the art. Lighting, shadows etc next, before getting the table built and scripted. Then the rest of all the graphics, plastics cab, and final cleanup.

Wow, this did not turn out to be short term, but still, quite enjoyable to do just for the challenge.

Attachments

• JG_10_11_2017.jpg
    JG_10_11_2017.jpg
    798 KB · Views: 562
I'm looking forward to playing it! :D

please finish this table > I'm looking forward to playing it! :wave:

and you make very good authentic detailed tables :cheers:

Thanks tii. Clearing out some other things, and using what I have learned with vpx from the fpx portions, I can transfer over back to FPX as well now, as the script isn't as usuable in flexibility as I had thought. shit load of work either way, still enjoying it anyway

Where does the artwork come from, btw? I remember Trigon also had quite professional-looking design.

In each case, it's not just the quality of the drawings, coloring, shading and so forth... but also as a whole... as legit-looking PF art that one might see on the prettier real-life machines.

Where does the artwork come from, btw? I remember Trigon also had quite professional-looking design.

In each case, it's not just the quality of the drawings, coloring, shading and so forth... but also as a whole... as legit-looking PF art that one might see on the prettier real-life machines.

Well, Trigon came from one artist, george perez, so I cut out the bits from multiple books and filled in the rest. Same inker as well, so very easy to glue it together.

This came from multiple artists, and multiple inkers and colorists, there is about 14 different main images for the PF, plus the things I added, but had to redraw, redo all the inks, and the colors to get it consistent, and then add my own to connect it all together. Yes, that is insane, but it was a challenge, and is the toughest thing I've ever had to do. I'm really happy, it means a lot you like it for what it is. Put a LOT of effort, not a natural artist, just real damn stubborn, and refuse to give up.

Not something I intended, but I am such a visual person in how I do things, can't help it. (My ex-wife would call it being anal, but she never was right about anything anyway) Thing that is insane? Wait for when it comes time to do the plastics.

FPX Update

Working my way through the mess that is called the New_template in FP at the moment...
If you remember, this was written to replace the "new table" in Future pinball, as that is incomplete, totally confusing and buggy as hell.

Here's a list of some of the features of the FPX template...

' 4 players support
' Bonus count up to 159, bonus multiplier up to 15x
' Replaced tilt system with a custom plumb bob tilt setup
' Added Variables for easy settings. balls per game, bonus, replay scoring etc
' ball save, extra ball, special and jackpot support
' Complete routines included for all aspects of arcade tables, from power up, light Attract mode to a match feature
' Initialization, Light Attract, Match routines all ready included
' easy control of lights for Light Attract and game play, no typing required
' Pause key plays tune
' 9 element x4 translight display, Hud display x2 A.N.D. (Alpha Numeric Display) to support up to Williams System 11
' HUD display can be hidden or shown using the default HUD key set in the editor (Usually the tithe key, just below the esc key)
' Pre-set unified Bally type scoring
' Debug system variable for code testing in place. press F9 key at editor. Also writes to text file during debug mode to track code
' Special HUD displays for debug mode, shows bonus etc
' Multiple sound system capability with background music support
' Solid State and A.N.D. support HUD display
' Preset feature scoring Extra ball/Special etc with just one line of code
' Easy Beginners Fail safe system. All access needed for easy modification of the engine in ONE place without needing to touch the engine code
' You can add/remove/replace lights, sounds, change the display, adjust timers etc through this one setup
' Code is heavily remarked, and teachs you new methods as you work your way down the hit code
' Engine is fully automated as possible, so no need to touch the engine code, no rocket science degree needed.
' A brief tutorial is included in the script, at the very bottom

This is aimed right at the beginner. You will need to script, but as little as possible as the engine makes it real easy. This is a very powerful and flexible engine if you are a intermediate scripter and want to dip into the actual engine code (or not, it was designed to be automated as much as possible) and would make the perfect test bed for new design concepts or just want to whip out a design as fast as possible with as little effort as possible.

And now...
You may excuse the Video quality, but here it is, FPX in action. Still a bit to do, but should give you a idea what the engine has built in and what it can do.

Horrible player, but it is actually my best score! :)
FPX Template Build 11-29-2017 - YouTube

Next video of the latest build, hopefully the final one before the RC. This shows the Debug system as it runs through the structure of the script, and also a demo of another way to do the bonus count, a speed up effect. (Sorry for the sound, just used what was already in there)

looks good so far, maybe a bit of polish, but you know what? that's what people are suppose to do when they use this engine, make it their own.

https://youtu.be/8DN4UXhxGEk

Unfortunately, with that time of the year, and personal issues, I may not be able to do anymore. I will just spend the time to clean it up, hunt bugs etc, and then once it is released, then you all can use/modify as you feel fit.

Beta One!

First Beta of the FPx Template is now available for testing and bug reporting. Please give this extensive testing and comments, as the FPx final version is slated for Christmas day. In the meanwhile, I will be working on a additional feature to add, but here is the brief description...

This is a fully functional script engine, with a tutorial folded in, and structured and aimed at beginners (though intermediate scripters would like this as well) It is a very different way of doing things, a lot of things were not added (like polish to the script, lack of details in the example table) but that was to not overwhelm beginners with too much high end stuff. Everything is heavily commented, even the hit code is structured to add and expand scripting methods and concepts as the user goes through it.

The engine includes 4 player scoring, 9 digit A.N.D., with routines that handle everything from Table start, to the match and light Attract modes. The table design has examples and fully functioning code, including a 2 ball multiball, bonus and bonus countdown routine, simple background system, and examples of extra ball, Jackpot etc.

NOTE: This was done using the Zed 64x future pinball exe, and with the "default" xml with BAM. If you use a different Future Pinball exe, some things will need adjustment. Read the manual about kicker strengths etc before you post in this thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a75njekngmnppne/FPX_Beta1.zip?dl=0

Here's a complete (mostly) list so far
' 4 players support
' Bonus count up to 159, bonus multiplier up to 15x
' Added Variables for easy settings. balls per game, bonus, replay scoring etc
' ball save, extra ball, special, 2 ball multiball and jackpot support
' Complete routines included for all aspects of arcade tables, from power up, light Attract mode to a match feature
' Initialization, Light Attract, Match routines included
' easy control of ligscriptershts for Light Attract and game play, no typing required
' Pause key plays tune
' 9 element x4 translight display, Hud display x2 A.N.D. (Alpha Numeric Display) to support up to Williams System 11
' HUD display can be hidden or shown using the default HUD key set in the editor (Usually the tithe key, just below the esc key)
' Pre-set unified Bally type scoring
' Debug system variable for code testing in place. press F9 key at editor. Also writes to text file during debug mode to track code
' Special HUD displays for debug mode, shows bonus etc
' sound system capability with background music support
' Solid State and A.N.D. support HUD display
' Preset feature scoring Extra ball/Special etc with just one line of code
' Easy Beginners Fail safe system. All access needed for easy modification of the engine in ONE place without needing to touch the engine code
' You can add/remove/replace lights, sounds, change the display, adjust timers etc through this one setup
' Code is heavily remarked, and teaches you new methods as you work your way down the hit code
' Engine is fully automated as possible, so no need to touch the engine code, no rocket science degree needed.
' A brief tutorial is included in the script, at the very bottom

Last edited:
plays real nice, I can't wait to see it with the graphic ;)

Then that one is up to you. :)

It's actually intended for people to learn and maybe even finish it off themselves.
I'm clearing out unfinished projects, this was just one of them, I have other stuff to finish, a vpx engine, a couple of things, Jungle girl, and I am tired from looking at this one.

Then that one is up to you. :)

It's actually intended for people to learn and maybe even finish it off themselves.
I'm clearing out unfinished projects, this was just one of them, I have other stuff to finish, a vpx engine, a couple of things, Jungle girl, and I am tired from looking at this one.

oh i'm sorry i got confused, i thought this was the Jungle table.
i don't always read everything i should ;)

We all do that. :)

Jungle Girl I believe the prototype design is up on Facebook, I will have to do that one from scratch, but I haven't decided if it will be FP or VPX yet.

Oh, found it, right here....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...301879.-2207520000.1513720616.&type=3&theater

If you click the right arrow, you will get a F1 view as well.

this one for FPX was just something I whipped up to demo the features. Your right though, not to bad, with love, some polish and set the angles properly, be a pretty good 1978 bally design.

Been busy, but looks like the player memory system is working. When I go for a coffee, I will test it to just make sure, and then FPX will be released. Crossing my fingers (and toes)

The memory system stores the light state as typed into the script when the ball is drained, and then remembers that light state for each player. When a player starts his next ball, the memory will restore the lights made from the previous ball. In the template, you can also add simple code in the AddEvent "New_Ball" to tell the script what to do if certain lights are restored, I use the "Bally 20k Bonus" feature, if the player has made more than 20 bonus, then he will start with 20 bonus points automatically with each ball afterwards. (Paragon use to do this) Maybe I will do a multiball example as well if I have time.

This is a very simple but very powerful feature to use. This can store values for each player, and will remember BulbOn and BulbBlink states as well. It's a lot simpler for a beginner to use lights, as opposed to complex variables or the nvram code in FP. Everything is automated, you just need to type in the lights you want, like this...
Code:
' *** START HERE ***

' * Memory System
	' This stores the light state from the previous player ball to his next ball, even with Multiplayer. The script takes a "snap shot" of the lights
	' defined here, and remembers it's state for all players. Just make sure MemorySlot(x) is in numeric order (1,2,3 etc) and you have 99 slots(or 99 lights)
	' 
	' This example just remembers the top guide triggers, any lights "on" will be remembered at the start of that players next ball. 
	' You can set any light to be "remembered" and if needed, add custom code in the AddEvent "New_Ball". The engine itself handles the rest.

Set MemorySlot(1)=LightTriggerGuide1
	Set MemorySlot(2)=LightTriggerGuide2
	Set MemorySlot(3)=LightTriggerGuide3
	Set MemorySlot(4)=LightTriggerGuide4
	Set MemorySlot(5)=Light20k

Then, in AddEvent "New_Ball" you clear out and reset all the lights, and at the very end of that code, just call the memory system to load the previous balls lights back in for that player, and then type in any code you need to restore the settings, like in the example here, that restores 20 bonus if the player had made 20 or more bonus the previous ball
Code:
				' THIS IS WHERE YOU ADD YOUR CODE FOR THE START OF EACH BALL !!!!
				' 	Use this to turn on any lights, reset any variables you use, popup targets etc.
					LightTargetC1.State=BulbOff																			' Turn off TargetC1 light 
					LightTargetC2.State=BulbOff																			' Turn off TargetC2 light 
					LightTargetC3.State=BulbOff																			' Turn off TargetC3 light
					LightSpinner1.State=BulbOff																			' Turn off the Spinner Light
					DropTarget1.SolenoidPulse: PlaySound "droptargetreset",(constSoundVolume)				' Drop Targets reset
					CheckDropTarget1=0 																						' DT variable set to off, resets the case settings to start over
					LightRightInLaneTrigger.State=BulbOff:LightLeftInLaneTrigger.State=BulbOff 			' Inlane lights off
					LightTB1_Inlanes.State=BulbOn																			' Turn on the first light for the target bank
					LightTB1_25k.State=BulbOff:LightTB1_ExtraBall.State=BulbOff									' Turn off the target bank lights
					LightTB1_Special.State=BulbOff
					LightTriggerGuide1.State=BulbOff:LightTriggerGuide2.State=BulbOff							' Top lanes
					LightTriggerGuide3.State=BulbOff:LightTriggerGuide4.State=BulbOff

' * Memory System *
				' This calls the player memory, and restores any lights made during previous player ball.  you set those lights at the top of the script

MemoryLoad()																								' This calls the system to set up. You need this here, so do not delete

' This is the example for code using the memory system. What we tell the script is if the player has made 20 bonus the previous ball, then carry that bonus over to the next ball
				' Several Bally games did this (notably Paragon) 

If Light20k.State=BulbOn then 																		' Set as MemorySlot(5), if that light is on then
						bonus = 0 																								' Clear the bonus completely
						AddBonus(20)																							' And then add 20 bonus back
					End If

I haven't tested this fully yet, but will give it a go shortly, and either upload this new version if it works, or the previous build if the memory system doesn't to Pinball Nirvana today

Happy New Year

As for me, now that FPx is put to bed, time to do something else, which is finally have a look at VPX and see what it can do. It's pretty apparent judging from the lack of reaction to FPx that it's time to move on, so ported over shivaEngine3, added a few things from FPx, and am now learning how to use vpx, using Jungle Girl as the design.

So far okay, I'm finding vpx to be hideously complex in places, especially that Material system which makes things a lot tougher than they need be, but starting to get the hang of it. So many things to vpx, all this cabinet stuff, which I don't have and not the slightest bit interested in. The engine is going fine, have to replace the reels with a A.N.D. display etc. I suppose I will add some things like ball rolling sounds, but still early days.

Hard to believe just thinking about it. My first original design in 14 years, and the first time I have really touched VP in at least 7 years, and now I have to relearn everything from scratch as they completely wiped out everything us old timers know and love. Still, it's always fun to learn something new, and now that I have settled on what I want for Jungle Girl, it might even take me less than 3 years this time. :)

In a photoshop mood

Had to take a break from coding, and decided Jungle Girl could do with some work. As usual with me, threw out everything for the plastics and started over, because... me...

Surprise surprise didn't take me months either, only a couple weeks, most of which was finding which bits fit where. Anyway, will play around with it a bit more, considering border artwork etc, but may do something totally out of character and just leave it as is.

I doubt it though...:whistle:

Attachments

• jg_top.jpg
    jg_top.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 231
  • jg_bottom.jpg
    jg_bottom.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 224
vraiment beau comme dessin et de grande qualité. Ça va êtres une très belle table.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: StevOz has posted a new reply in the thread "Post interesting videos you found on YouTube".
      Back