pinballdaveh

Pinball Technician
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
target alpha
i was never a big fan of using the transformer solenoid voltage high tap. sometimes its called a low line tap if your 120vac is lower than normal. if I=E/R (basic ohm's law) than a higher voltage = higher current flow thru-out the machine = higher arcing of switch contacts. flipper power can be improved by using dotted or juicy flipper coils (same part# but stronger) availible from PBR. i played a small flipper machine with these coils installed and it made for faster fun play. gottlieb EMS really never got into dc pop bumpers or slingshots and were all ac coils. i read somewhere that un-winding and removing up to 4 layers of windings will increase its strength. i have tried this by un-winding 3 layers and was happy with the results, close to the strength of a dc coil. don't get greedy and try to remove more than 4 layers from a coil, it will be a short and the coil is ruined. since dc coils are stronger already i didnt try this on those. any questions on this please ask. more EM mods to follow. if you have a favorite EM mod please post it.

EM LIGHT SOCKET REPAIR

one of the main rules of thumb about soldering is that the connection must be clean. solder does not stick well to oxidized, burnt, or dirty wires or connections.this socket repair is done with the sockets removed from the playfield. after un-soldering and removing the socket clean the bottom part of the socket and strap where it meets the strap with a file. this prepares the connection for soldering. solder the cleaned gap of the socket.(see pic 1 ). file clean the center post and solder a dot on it (see pic 2 ). cut a little more than a inch of de-soldering wick and solder one end of the wick to the solder dot. place connecting wire to lug and wrap wire with other end of wick (see pic 3 ). solder the connection . use points file to scratch clean the inside post. before installing socket the bottom of insert can be cleaned easily. cotton swabs and a drop of dish soap works well. this method also works on the multiple sockets on one strap example bonus lights and player scoring. install socket and solder strap wire. replace older dark bulbs with new ones.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 468
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 478
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 568
I Get It...

one of the main rules of thumb about soldering is that the connection must be clean. solder does not stick well to oxidized, burnt, or dirty wires or connections.this socket repair is done with the sockets removed from the playfield. after un-soldering and removing the socket clean the bottom part of the socket and strap where it meets the strap with a file. this prepares the connection for soldering. solder the cleaned gap of the socket.(see pic 1 ). file clean the center post and solder a dot on it (see pic 2 ). cut a little more than a inch of de-soldering wick and solder one end of the wick to the solder dot. place connecting wire to lug and wrap wire with other end of wick (see pic 3 ). solder the connection . use points file to scratch clean the inside post. before installing socket the bottom of insert can be cleaned easily. cotton swabs and a drop of dish soap works well. this method also works on the multiple sockets on one strap example bonus lights and player scoring. install socket and solder strap wire. replace older dark bulbs with new ones.
This is a great idea. The added wire connection get's you a solid connection and still allows the center conductor move when the bulb is inserted.:salut:

Credit Unit Mod...

When I bought a 1972 Gottlieb 'Grand Slam' it came wired for free play. The credit unit would advance 3 or 4 points in an average game. Starting a new game would subtract only one credit. Eventually the counter would end up maxed at like 34 credits. I got the notion to jumper the ball counter reset solenoid over to the credit decrement solenoid. The ball counter gets plenty of reset pulses during an average reset. Sending them to the credit unit resets it to zero every time. Now the credit unit acts more like a scoring counter during each game. I like to multiply the game score by the credits earned and keep track of high scores.

Last edited:
do you mean gottlieb grand slam ? the bally grand slam i found is a SS machine.

5 DROP TARGET PLASTIC ILLUM.

if you have seen the target alpha pic in the happy holidays thread it has the 5 bank plastic lit. the 2 main problems are the 2 wire rods and the flipper stop bracket that didnt allow sockets to be installed. here are the steps for this mod. gently pull out the 2 wire rods and fill their holes with a little white caulk. next make a mark on the wood at the inside end of the stop bracket. (see pic1) un-hook spring from arm. loosen arm screws and remove flipper parts. un-screw and remove stop arm,bushing, and spring. the bushing has to be cut , i used a dremel with a re-inforced cut-off wheel (see pic 2 ). flip stop bracket around and install using the mark made and install bushing and spring (see pic 3 ). re-install the rest of the flipper parts. there is now room to install 4 sockets.

Attachments

• DSCI0282.JPG
    DSCI0282.JPG
    855.1 KB · Views: 439
  • DSCI0310.JPG
    DSCI0310.JPG
    829 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCI0312.JPG
    DSCI0312.JPG
    800.3 KB · Views: 475
FINISHED

here is a pic of the completed mod.

Attachments

• target alpha upper playfield.JPG
    target alpha upper playfield.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 592
has anybody done this light mod to their target alpha, el dorado's, solar city, or canada dry?

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Flipper Hermann has left the room.
      Back