Meet the man of your dream....

this is why you need to wisely choose sets of animation that are mostly "feet in concrete" or have a plan to make the model disappear off the table and comeback somewhere else. I personally wonder if there is a possibility for BAM to bridge the animations (transitionning) so they appear more seamless
That is what I asked Rav yesterday
Also it would be good to be able to edit the TGA in Model importer to add more animations or delete unwanted ones. Some models have 20 textures to add and it can be confusing which texture goes where and to have to keep doing that every time you wish to alter the TGA is difficult

The "Thriller Table" posted above should have a dancer in full color dancing the Thriller dance.

All the animations are contained in the Thriller.TGA file which is 9.56 mb but should load very quickly.

1. Make sure you are using the new BAM
2. If you Load Thriller.TGA in Model Importer and go down to animations you should see "ABCDE" animations. You can click on any of these and play that animation. You can also see the time for each animation.
3. There is a code list you can use for various functions:

Rav suggested this :
Under "FuturePinball_KeyPressed"
Put this "OnKeyPress(KeyCode)"
Code:
Sub FuturePinball_KeyPressed
OnKeyPress(KeyCode).

Then anywhere in script put this sub routine:
Code:
Sub OnKeyPress(ByVal KeyCode)
    If KeyCode = 79 Then AddDebugText "Num animations = "&cm_IndyJones.NumAnimations
    If KeyCode = 80 Then AddDebugText "Num frames in animation A = "&cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).NumFrames
    If KeyCode = 81 Then AddDebugText "Duration in animation A = "&cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).Duration
    If KeyCode = 75 Then AddDebugText "Loop A"&cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).Frame(1, cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).NumFrames, 1)
    If KeyCode = 76 Then AddDebugText "Freez A frame 10"&cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).Frame(10, 10)
    If KeyCode = 77 Then AddDebugText "Play A frame 100-199"&cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).Frame(100, 199)
    If KeyCode = 71 Then AddDebugText "Loop A frame 100-150"&cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).Frame(100, 150, 100)
    If KeyCode = 72 Then AddDebugText "Play A frame 199-100"&cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).Frame(199, 100)
    If KeyCode = 73 Then AddDebugText "Play A frame 100-199"&cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).Frame(100, 199)
End Sub

If you wish to call the items above independently make sure you put "Call" in front of code otherwise you will get an error.

example to loop an Animation 0 which is the same as Animation "A" from model importer use this code:

Code:
Call cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).Frame(1, cm_IndyJones.Animation(0).NumFrames, 1)

4. To Rotate and scale and move the models to different locations on table, I am grabbing them in a Miniplayfield box. The animations themselves will still move as expected

thanks for the information

Adding 3d Models to GAMES Made Easy-ish
@GeorgeH
@wild
@AnonTet
@Gin
@Ike Savage
@TerryRed
@polygame
@ULTIMATE Pro Pinball
and anyone else interested....

I don't have a lot of time...but I would love to push the envelope further with you guys....

So I am inviting anyone to learn the process of add 3d models to existing games with me. I have done almost everything for you !

To that end I would like to add 3d models to SLAMT1LTS Stern Indiana Jones 1.06 (Slam can you use our stuff if he wishes in the future"

To start the process I am including the following:
1. A modded version of the table with a Large Indiana Jones off to the side and a miniature Indiana Jones on the table apron.
2.These two models already contain 20 or so animations each.
3.The Apron Model animations are for action "Shooting, running, whip, punching, falling etc..."
4.The large Model off to the side is "Feet in concrete" and for shrugging and "talking" and "yelling" and "sighing" etc....

5. I have included many fbx animatoins in backup folder that you can add as you wish...
6. I have included "Indiana.zip" that you can import directly into Mixamo to then create your own animations
7.I have included 3 TGA model files : IndianaStandingTalking.TGA, IndianaAction.TGA, and Starter.TGA.
8. I included the New Model Importer from Rav that allows adding to and deleting animations from the above TGA's as you wish.
(Place the new model importer files into you BAM directory. You should be able to load the TGA files and play the animations and
add or delete animations as you wish and then save the TGA to reimported into the table....)

9. The modded table included at the end of the script includes extensive instructions on how to code the various animations contained in the model TGA's

Feel free to engage and ask question on what I did and why ? How code into game events or whatever.....

Let's have fun with this it is AMAZING thing the Rav has given us (with Steve's input) !!!

Attachments

• indiana jones kit.zip
    41.5 MB · Views: 126
  • Indy Stern ULTIMATE Pro 1.06-Animated.zip
    135.5 MB · Views: 179
  • MI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 112
Here are some points of discovery /explanation that may help as a preliminary:

1. To view the individual animatons contained in your BAM TGA model use the Model importer program. Load the TGA file and go down to animations. You can play each one separately and you can see the duration of each.

****Note just like with Future pinball...in BAM Model Editor, if you press F11 key , you can then use "ASWD: keys and mouse to move the Animation around

2. The model importer itemizes the animations "alphabetically" while the BAM script does so "numerically"
So "A" = "zero"
"B" = "1"
"C" = "2"
etc.....

3. For animations we are are importing "FBX" files into Model importer.

4. If you are creating your own Animations from the free online program called "Mixamo" it is best to import as a Zip file containing the following: the "obj" file and "mtl" file of your model and all of the textures you are using. This will make sure your final animations have accounted for all the textures you require....

***NOTE You don't need to see the textures in Mixamo...just stay black and white...the models will get textured in "BAM model importer"

5. Using the new model importer included above you can add to and delete from existing TGA's . This is preferable as the Textures are already loaded
and will apply automatically to any new animations you add. The Indiana Jones Model has 18 textures and it was confusing to assemble..so best to use one of the existing TGA's . I included one called "Starter'TGA" that just has Indiana Breathing and no other animations.

6. I have linked the TGA's in the demo table to "triggers" on the table editor that I called "IndianaTalking" and "IndianaAction" or something.
This is useful because then if you wish to move the model anywhere on the table just move the trigger in the table editor and the model will automatically go there when you play the table.

7. Also I grabbed each of my Indiana "triggers" in a MP grab box and so it is easy using the MP menu to create code that will move your models
anywhere on the table and change their orientation and size.

8. I have included the Ravarcades code at the end of the script that can be used for playing certain animations in part or whole , in forward or reverse,
looping parts or all of an animation, freeze one frame etc....

9. So using MP code we can have Indy show up anywere on the table or Games Room and have only certain animations active at our chosen times

Last edited:
So I am inviting anyone to learn the process of add 3d models to existing games with me. I have done almost everything for you !

Feel free to engage and ask question on what I did and why ? How code into game events or whatever.....

ok, thanks for all you're doing, and that you included me in your invitations"@",so i can't ignore everything you've done, so i reply,but
I'm sorry if I'm always the first one, asking for things and explanations, maybe you will find it boring....but after all, I am a small table builder, so perhaps it is legitimate to ask for first,as in this case, there are few builders and therefore since I am one of them, I am always one of the first to ask

in other discussions or thread "maybe" I was a little misunderstood in asking for too many things or explanations, and this has not helped my sympathy, with someone.

I would have many things to ask to learn, but it is difficult for me to understand everything by reading, I need to see what is done step by step........ it is like the "scritp" code to give an example, I have to see it and study it and learn it, when I then I learn I can even overcome the teacher....is only a quote, I don't want to be presumptuous.so having said that perhaps in future we could speak more deeply.

however, everything is amazing?

I would have many things to ask to learn, but it is difficult for me to understand everything by reading, I need to see what is done step by step........ it is like the "scritp" code to give an example, I have to see it and study it and learn it, when I then I learn I can even overcome the teacher....is only a quote, I don't want to be presumptuous.so having said that perhaps in future we could speak more deeply.

No worries Paolo.
by all means ask and learn with me.

This is very cool stuff.

What would you like to understand first ?

Here is a further explanation:

1. We have currently 2 TGA models imported as follows:

Code:
Dim cm_IndyJonesStand
Set cm_IndyJonesStand = xBAM.CreateModel("IndyStandTalk",     IndianaLocation.x,     IndianaLocation.y,      45,     100,    -180,    -180,      20, False, False)
cm_IndyJonesStand.loop "ABCDEFGHIJKL"

Dim cm_IndianaAction
Set cm_IndianaAction = xBAM.CreateModel("IndianaAction",     IndianaAction.x,     IndianaAction.y,      45,     100,    -180,    -180,      20, False, False)
cm_IndianaAction.loop "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTU"

Notice they are both set to "loop" at table start.
They are looping all the Animations from A,B,C,D etc....
you can change this if you wish in any order , like this:

Code:
cm_IndianaAction.loop "DFGHU"

***note this code does use "Alphabetic" list from BAM model importer of each animation.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

But lets say I wish to play the second animation from the "IndianaAction" model when you press the "B" key on keyboard

Code:
Sub FuturePinball_KeyPressed(ByVal KeyCode)

if keycode = 48 then Call cm_IndianaAction.Animation(1).Frame(1, cm_IndianaAction.Animation(1).NumFrames)

*** note this code uses "Numeric" list of animations
Animation(0) is the first animation which is "A" animation in BAM model importer
Animation(1) is the second animation which is "B"animation in BAM model importer

Here is a video demonstrating use of Mixamo :

And here is a video discussing how to take Mixamo FBX files into BAM Model Importer:

Last edited:
I have one question, I keep seeing references to TGA files. Is this a texture file or some sort of model?

I have one question, I keep seeing references to TGA files. Is this a texture file or some sort of model?
Hi George !
Bam model importer encodes your model and all the animations into a single TGA file...weird but true. We then import this TGA file containing ALL of this info thru fp texture manager. But it is NOT a texture it is a model plus many animations.

Yes, TGA is an old image format.

FP allows it to be loaded, so Rav made use of that for Custom Models and GIFs.

@Gimli @ravarcade @polygame @wild

In my quest to find the coolest Star Wars models for my PinEvent mod for SW DSA (since we can now use very nice custom models), I find myself having to sort through many different FBX files that tend to make the BAM model importer crash.

As an example I found a perfect X-Wing that has animation built in....but it won't even load in BAM Model Importer (crash). :(

Is there a specific feature of FBX objects that BAM won't support, and I need to look for?

Or better yet, do you guys know a program / converter method that will convert FBX to a proper format for BAM?

I had a really nice Millenium Falcon...but part of the front gets messed up polygons.... so i can't use it. So I have only "one" I have found that seems to work...though it's texture are crappy. :(

This pics below show what I'm working with right now. @wild's FP objects are great....but since we can now use hi polygon custom models, we are opened up to many more options.

I haven't determined where the models will go as there is little room left to use them while not having the (normally hidden) halo glows now visible through the custom object, as shown in the Millenium Falcon picture....while also staying clear of the lightsabers.

1595653817654.png

1595654035170.png

1595654074674.png

You can convert fbx to obj in blender and there is a method to extract textures. And then maybe model importer will accept it ?

You can convert fbx to obj in blender and there is a method to extract textures. And then maybe model importer will accept it ?

I think the issue may be from having the textures all separate images in FBX, and for object it tens to be one UV wrap texture. So even if the object can be converted, the textures won't be in a way that will work with the conversion.

I did try converting from Blender to object ,etc... but it didnt seem to help or the conversion didnt go so well....but I may not be doing something right.

But, I'm still new at Blender myself....and learning.

I did find a pretty good Vader Tie Fighter and Turbo Laser Cannon to try to use from the Sega Star Wars Trilogy VP table. The big thing I really need is a good complete Millenium Falcon. (an animated xwing would be sweet, but the only one I found is big and wont work).

I also have C-3P0 jumping for joy on the table...but its not a textured model....but looks neat seeing him jump up and down on his slingshot. :)

I have a textured cp30 but it has a gizzion tiny textures that all look the same...I imported him to mixamo

I have a textured cp30 but it has a gizzion tiny textures that all look the same...I imported him to mixamo

I may have the same one...but it didn't seem to import them for me for some reason. Show me how yours turns out with textures.

Funny thing is... all the animations are too realisticly human-like for C3P0

can you send it to me I will try it with softimage

What I found so far for FBX is that multiple sub model should be bake as ONE model. If you convert one mixamo model to obj you will see that it's One model and One texture (Baking process).

Convertion from Quads(4 vert. poly) to Tries(3 vert. poly) is also important. I know FP don't like Quads.

What I found so far for FBX is that multiple sub model should be bake as ONE model. If you convert one mixamo model to obj you will see that it's One model and One texture (Baking process).

Convertion from Quads(4 vert. poly) to Tries(3 vert. poly) is also important. I know FP don't like Quads.
If you import a obj/mtl/textures in zip file then the fbx mixamo export will have all the textures available to BAM model importer

I meant grabbing random FBX out of the internet don't make it automaticaly a valid FBX for model importer. mixamo process them rignt. but you cannot process a millenium falcon in mixamo. it is not a biped character.

So you have to convert/proof them in some other 3d editing apps.

OK... so some progress.

I added a Turbo Laser Turret (with bump maps added) on the Bumper. I made the turret as a peg to allow it to work on top of the Bumper without the halo glow problem. Now I can add a green flasher to the turret that goes off for each bumper hit. The cannon is a separate model that could move in and out with each shot. While I could have the turret rotate, I can't have the cannon move up and down because the section that moves up and down is part of the turret and not a separate object. :( I was thinking it would be neat to have the turret follow the xwing as it flies around. I know @Gimli knows of ways to make the turret follow an object. :)

I still gotta sort out the Falcon.

I got a Vader Tie Fighter which works much better on this table to match the movie .I really couldn't find a great spot on the sides for any Tie Fighters.... so I tried adding Vader and 2 normal fighters like in the movie at the back.

(I still need confirmation about being able to use the vader and turret, since they came from a VP table).

Not sure I'll keep it this way, but it does fill in that space well.

Ignore C3PO doing the pee pee dance. It was a test. :p

1595745612293.png

1595745644727.png

Last edited:
@TerryRed Are you going to put turrets on top of all 3 bumpers? ...Or does light from the other 2 bumpers not cause a glow problem?

@TerryRed Are you going to put turrets on top of all 3 bumpers? ...Or does light from the other 2 bumpers not cause a glow problem?

There's literally no physical space for anything to go on the other bumpers. The rail guides are too close to allow anything to go there.

Since the turret is a "peg" instead of a model / toy.... it won't allow any light / halo glows to pass through it. It was already a low poly "object" (which converts to FPM), so there was no need to convert it to a custom object. Nice thing about BAM that you pointed out is that you can use the BAM texture features on any object as well for lighting / specularity on top of the bump mapping.

@Gimli Can we use multiple mini playfields in the same area? Like say one mp to fly one direction, and another to fly the opposite direction? I was curious more than anything. Not sure if I'll have the ships fly around or not.

Cool! I did not know that pegs don't let halo glows pass through the model. On MOTU, the model of He-Man never looks very good because of the glow passing through it. I guess I could try converting the model to a peg but then I suppose his motion wouldn't work anymore when the ball hits the kicker.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Isaac Sauvage has posted a new reply in the thread "How to Install Addressable LEDs".
      Back