Meet the man of your dream....

Very very cool Terry. does it work right off the bat or we need a special BAM version or other stuff. (Can't make work any doflink table here :( )

Well you always need the latest BAM. :) Then after that you may need a newer beta. If there isn't a new "release" of that version of BAM when I post the wip of the table, I'll post the required files until then.

For DOFLinx tables.... make sure your PC is up to date with .NET and C++. Install, then reboot.

You don't need to run DOFLinx (since you don't use any DOF for feedback and lighting), you only need the latest DOFLinx.vbs. Download the latest DOFLinx zip from here:

Then from that zip, copy the DOFLinx.vbs to your "Future Pinball \ Scripts" folder. (make the Scripts folder if it doesn't exist)

That's it. All DOFLinx tables will run for you.

For PinEvent tables, it's similar. Make sure your .NET and C++ are up to date. Then you only need the 4 PinEvent vbs files installed to "Future Pinball \ Scripts" if you just want to play the tables (without PuP, DOF or PuP-Packs).

Just make sure you edit the PinEvent_Settings.vbs with notepad, and enable the FP_Sounds for the "cabinet" profile, if running on your cabinet. This is disabled for cabinet by default, as most cabinet users tend to want to use pup-packs and pup ssf (and you dont want both SSF and FP Sounds enabled at the same time).

Thx Terry but you do understand that for most people, it is a no go?
In my case I cannot update my pc myself, I depend on my employer and I need to make a request for it (which will be denied, IT has other things to do and I am not big on their list of priority).

I guess my real question is, Is it possible to have a version where one only need BAM whitout the extra bell and whistle which I wouldn't see anyway.

If not, you still did an impressive work and kudos for all your creativity.

Thx Terry but you do understand that for most people, it is a no go?
In my case I cannot update my pc myself, I depend on my employer and I need to make a request for it (which will be denied, IT has other things to do and I am not big on their list of priority).

I guess my real question is, Is it possible to have a version where one only need BAM whitout the extra bell and whistle which I wouldn't see anyway.

If not, you still did an impressive work and kudos for all your creativity.

Hi Steve,
For Terry's F14 mod I just copied the 4 vbs files and it worked...I too dont have any bells or whistles just a pc.
Terry has done a great job making his mods omni compatible :)
Everything he is showing in the Star Wars mod is BAM stuff that you should be able run just fine

Yes, like Gimli says... you aren't installing or running any additional programs to run DOFLinx or PinEvent tables (for desktop usage). You only need to copy the vbs files needed for those tables. It's no different than the vbs file needed for tables that use smoke's ball rolling.

The reason why DOFLinx and PinEvent vbs files aren't / shouldn't be included with tables is because they cover many different thing beyond the table itself...and both get updated regularly...so including those file with a table is a support nightmare once people start copying / replacing them with older / incorrect files.

I know all too well about security restrictions in the workplace. I work in classified networks for the military...and our PCs are very restricted to almost everything.

I can't even goto this site (PN) from a work computer as it gets blocked. Whereas Vpinball, vpforums... vpu... no problem. Go figure :)

That said... on your cabinet you should have no problems running anything (just make the edit I noted above for PinEvent_Settings.vbs if running in Arcade / Cabinet mode. If you don't you won't hear mechanical sounds on PinEvent tables until you do).

I don't have the table uploaded yet. I was going on no sleep for the last day after I posted that video.... so I'm catching up.... and I'm also back to work this week...so it will take a while still. I wanted to clean up the table code and be as standalone and complete as possible before posting it, and also removing the PinEvent code (for now since its not complete).

Last edited:
Too high to get over,
Too low to go under!
You're stuck in the middle,
And the pain is thunder!

Gimli, my man, I think you better just watch it!

Here is a first attempt an animating BOB :)

Hi Gimli,
Sorry mate I missed this post.
That is awesome!!!!
You did a great job, I didn't think anyone would bother animating this table, it's fun but a little repetitive.
But all in all a great table for the kids. I am guessing moving the AC/DC bell would be much less of a challenge now.
I still can't get over how many lines of code you wrote at my request to achieve that and as always it is much appreciated.
When or if your finished with the Minions table I would love a copy, cheers!

@wild
@Gimli
@polygame
@GeorgeH
@ravarcade

Just when you thought I was done with crazy FP-BAM Demos... I bring you something you never asked for... but are glad you are alive to witness it :)

The models are nicely detailed with some really nice normal / bump mapping, and specular highlighting.... especially on the Demogorgon!

Th
1. Here is the the modelImporter and the right BAM version to make it work. It also contain the necessary update for the Gif swapping texture.
(ModelImporterBeta(3).zip)

2. Extract the BAM DLL in the usual place.
3. The rest of the Files are related to ModelImporter and should not be in the BAM folder. put them anywhere else in a separate folder.
4. the ModelImporter.exe in the BAM folder is now deprecated. Do not try to use it. Please contact me if you have any doubt the way I explain it.
5. I usually pick my model from CGtraders or Turbosquid. lots of good stuff there, some are free. I also make my own with softimage.
6. for animation I use mixamo.com. You need an Adobe cloud Account to access all the feature. I do if you are stuck.
7. 3D Model should be in Tpose. If you don't know what it mean, I would recommend starting to watch tutorials :)
8. My preferred format is FBX as it containb everything in it Model, animation and texture.
9. I found out that it is easier to use a model with One baked texture map than having to deal with multiple map. but hey...you do you.

The NEW Model Importer has been designed by Rav, according to my specifications. I tested it out a lot before this post so
it cover up all the need we might have in a foreseeable future

10. Here is a video Rav made. I can fill the gap if there is any

11. the Freddy table is in attachment. look at the code it is pretty straight forward. If you manage to have the permission from Russell to mod NOES, please keep me in the loop, me wanna play...

12. the Freddy model (in the zip) can be imported to modelImporter. you can see all of the animations there. You refer to them in the script by A,B,C,D...etc...

Most importantly, Have fun!
ats awesome!!! Thanks will try this out cheers

All these crazy, wonderful things that FP can do now. Very impressed.
It easy to learn Russell if you need help let me know...As you can see from Steves video spot lights and rotating beacons are on tap for the next BAM release in addition to refined mp stuff

I tried deleting it but after your comments to Russell, I couldnt ...

It easy to learn Russell if you need help let me know...As you can see from Steves video spot lights and rotating beacons are on tap for the next BAM release in addition to refined mp stuff

I'm putting together some examples for him , as well as the examples i show in my videos.

I'm putting together some examples for him , as well as the examples i show in my videos.
Nice !
There is an IJ package earlier in this thread that has most of the stuff he would want for Indy

@ravarcade

To clarify... BAM Custom Models are different than everything else in that they use VRAM and don't affect FP's memory usage like textures,etc?

Ideally this means we should be able to use many complex models with hi res textures.... and the only limit is the vram of the user... not FP's limitations as a 32 it app (like how GIF's are restricted in memory usage?).

I ask because for example... I have this Superman model working... but I wasn't able to apply all his textures (the additional bump maps mainly) or Model Importer would crash. This model as is turns out to be 60MB!

1598378554285.png

If I were to add 6 models of this size... should that work, as long as my VRAM can handle it (in my case I have 8 GB Vram on my GTX 1080).

More curious than anything as we can get some pretty detailed character models working on their own.... an wondered about how many could be added to a table.

@Gimli I've got the formula down pretty good with converting many of these characters. Even with two different Supermans... I was able to adjust their cape to make them usable now. It's never going to be perfect compare to non caped characters. Man though that one dude's page has a lot of great models from many of my fav games.

Many of the current tables can get characters on them and look MUCH nicer. Iron man for example could get a much nicer looking whiplash (with no whips), and War Machine,etc... Even if they don't really animate alot, and they just do an idle animation... just them hovering for flying etc would still look much nicer.

Though...when the character doesn't have any included textures for their arms...makes it DAMN tricky in mixamo to figure out where their elbows are! :)

1598379414737.png

Last edited:
Baking is your friend Terry

Thanks. I understand how it works. It was just in this case... for whatever reason...they didn't include the needed texture at all....and it wasn't until I imported into Mixamo I understood why the arms were missing. :)

@polygame
Thanks for that link Steve. Blender is so bewildering with all the different menus and options....but it is good to have this tutorial

@TerryRed
Ya it is a real shell game getting a model to import into mixao that is optimal and have the export work properly and have the textures available to be
loaded into model importer.

Do you need help with a specifc model or did you get it working ?

@polygame
Thanks for that link Steve. Blender is so bewildering with all the different menus and options....but it is good to have this tutorial

@TerryRed
Ya it is a real shell game getting a model to import into mixao that is optimal and have the export work properly and have the textures available to be
loaded into model importer.

Do you need help with a specific model or did you get it working ?

So far I've been good getting everything I wanted to try working. I think some models simply are way too large and have too much texture data for Model Importer to handle, is the reason some models don't work...even after they have been converted properly. (like the Superman example).

Key to success I have found for getting many characters with animation to work with BAM Model Importer:

- unip the model(s) and textures into a folder
- remove all other model formats except for the Object and mtl file. If there is only an FBX model, we'll try using that.
- you "may" need to import Object model into Milkshape (make any changes you want) and then resave as an Object again
- if you only had an FBX, then import into Milkshape (make any changes you want), then save as a Object
- you MUST edit the mtl file and remove the "paths" for each texture so you only have the texture names being pointed to
- zip up object, mtl, and textures,etc into a single zip file (no folders). No FBX files!
- upload that zip to Mixamo
- you usually know it worked "correctly" because you can see the textures appear on the model (not always the correct brightness, but its fine)
- add your rigging points to the model so it can be setup for animation
- pick your animation
- download as FBX, 30fps, with skin, no feyframe reduction
- import the new FBX model (with the new animation) into Model Importer

Choose each Material layer and add the correct texture:

- you may need to play with this to figure out what textures you need
- you can use milkshape to highlight "groups" for comparison. (Superman model had groups (same as material layers) for arms, legs, head, etc)
- many models come with multiple texture files, some may only come with one
- usually you will choose a coloured texture for each layer's "Diffuse" texture
- once you have all textures looking correctly for all layers, I'd recommend saving to a TGA at this point
- if the model saved to a TGA without causing problems or crashing, then carry on the rest
- now you can try adding any normal / bump map textures for the "Normal" textures
- if that works without Model Importer crashing, then save to TGA again
- if you can't get the model to save to a TGA after adding textures, you may need to go without additional Normal/Bump maps, or may need to reduce the resolution of the textures being used, etc
- you can make changes to each layer's colour, and other settings. Sometimes changing the colour to white makes the model look normal, brighter, etc.

Add additional animations:

- once you have a proven working BAM Custom Model, you can now add additional animations to the same model
- use mixamo to choose another animation with the same model you've been using
- download, and unzip the new FBX model
- with your BAM Custom model still open in Model Importer, now you can "Import Animation" of the new FBX animated model
- this will now be an additional animation added as noted on the bottom of the Window and assigned a new letter
- you can repeat this process to add many more animations
- once you are done, you can save to TGA.

Add Custom Model to Table:

- now add the TGA file to your table in texture Manager, and SAVE the table before adding any code!
- Custom Models need to be saved to the table file before the table is run...otherwise BAM won't see the model when the table starts!
- now you MUST add the required BAM commands to script to add the model (refer to earlier replies in this thread)
- run the table, and use "BAM - Custom Models" menu to position / size the model to where you want it to be
- best to keep height at 0!
- CTRL+C while in this menu, when you are done
- exit table, and in the table script, replace the previous code (to add the Custom Model) with the new code with CTRL+V
- save the table
- add any animation commands you want (read previous posts and look at other examples)
- you may want to add "draw custom models last" command to keep light flares behind the Custom Model . Note: this can cause the Custom Model to appear in front of holograms, and HUDs. You can use additional command parameters to control this more.

Run the table, and enjoy your new animated custom model!

You can now also use a mini playfield to move around the custom model!

Enjoy

Last edited:
@TerryRed
That is a great summary !! My experiance is different in a couple ways:
1. The download from mixamo isn't a zip file for some reason... its an fbx that I just load with other fbx as animations into the tga.

2. I find that if I download a simple animation from mixamo like "T-pose" or "idle" and create a tga using model importer with just that. AND if I don't add the textures and then save it as a "starter.tga" then I can close model importer and use that file to create fully texured tga with as many animations as I wish in the future.

Once you add textures and save the tga then it often can't be altered in the future.

3. Some models dont have bump maps so I create those using the online normal map creator we have discùssed in other threads and tutorials.

4. Once you have imported tga as a texture into fp , if you assign its location to a non- rendered table object like a kicker (that isnt actually being used in the game itself) then simply moving the object in table editor will automatically move the tga model. It's a neat way of quickly experimenting with model position (just drag and drop) and not having to figure out x and y positions for coding

Code:
Dim WhateverModel

Set WhateverModel = xBAM.CreateModel("YourModelName",    KickerWhatever.x,     KickerWhatever.y,       0)

5. Also if you use the Trigger as the short cut to define a Miniplayfield , it will automatically grab the attached model.
So this bypasses the sometimes ownerous process of defining the boundaries of a miniplafyield

Code:
Dim Miniplayfield_Whatever

Set Miniplayfield_Whatever (KickerWhatever, 0, 40)

Last edited:
1. Yah, for Mixamo, if you download a "pack" its a zip of multiple FBX files.... but a single animation is not a zip... correct.

2. Yes, correct. This is why I mention to Save it early on after adding initial textures. I would assume the user wants to be sure the textures will work at that time to be sure it's good to use for FP (without crashing Importer, etc). I tend to "start" with one idle animation (or the T-Pose like I show with Superman). You don't "need" to add more animations at that time.... but if you know what you want to try you can add a bunch, and always delete them later from the same TGA file. I did this a lot with Darth.

3 Amazingly.. so far... I've had WAY too much to choose from for bump maps, specular, etc with the character models. Usually its the "N" version (normal map) you want to use. Other models like I used in Star Wars I had to make my own bump maps as well.

4. That may be handy for some situations. I find myself preferring to position it in-game...as I may adjust other settings for it while I'm there anyway. BAM menu has spoiled me now.

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Damonogy48 is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back