Mr. & Mrs. PAC-MAN (Bally, 1982) VP9 (PM5)

VP9 Bally SS Recreation Mr. & Mrs. PAC-MAN (physicsmod5) vbb9.0

No permission to download
Solid State Machines

[email protected]

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Pinbot
Mr. & Mrs. PAC-MAN physicsmod5

Version 5.2

Settings require PhysicsOverhaul 5, but could be re-set to work with VP9

lt's only fair that I release this as Pinbotfan (never played Pinbot) because I could not have gained the knowledge nor got some of the code adjustments needed without a personal presence at VPF.

- Keyboard nudging with recoil.
- Two flipper solenoids.
- Some lights re-textured.
- More weight to ball.
- AA available.

http://www.pinballnirvana.com/modul...2487&ttitle=Mr._&_Mrs._PAC-MAN_(Physics_Mod_5)

Last edited by a moderator:
gorgeous lighting effects that play field looks so realistic!
but what is this overhaul thing you mention is it for vp?

It's a build of VP based on 9.9 that changes the table, ball, and flipper physics. It has no official release but is posted in a thread at VPF.

The version 5 of this includes recoil for nudging though no feedback (screen movement). That is why I included the crude 'hand' blocks on the corners of the table. For some visual feedback for nudging. The New nudging has recoil on a timer like VP8 did though it would make more sense linked to the key release. Still better than anything else VP9.

The table friction and gravity is re-worked and better. The ball has spin, and the flippers, though still not perfect are very much improved.

Updated or not, it promises to be the best version to play existing VP9 tables now and in the future, as the devs appear adamant on leaving them with the basic but extreme problems the fairly new 9.9 left them with. The environment, and flipper settings have to be reset on tables that use this build.

Attachments

• VP_physmod5.zip
    674.6 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
so it is a thing I can't use
I can't run any version newer than 9.1.5 without getting stutter
thanks for explaining it though and for the link too

Updated to 5.2

Attachments

• mmpacjpg.jpg
    mmpacjpg.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 331
very nice.

and... "the ball has spin?" does that mean there's some new spin functionality in the newer VP?

i suppose that could be an incentive to get back to improving the english system on the billiards project.

interesting.

i'm forgetting all the old terms, but that self-pass was also possible in the early VP versions, although not as smoothly i guess. the flipper-nudges and drop catches are very cool tho, altho it looks like either drop catches aren't quite perfected yet or the guy has a lot of trouble doing them. didn't look like hot catches are working yet, or did i miss that one?

on another note, 12 years later and VP is still trying to catch up to pro-pinball(!)

The ball has spin, increased table friction helps that out.

It's sort of like the video Steve put up there, but that seems to have too slow of a ramp up (switch from low power solenoid to the strong one) for the demonstration purpose.

This has a slower ramp up. it's not analog. A tap activates the finesse flipper which if held quickly activates the power solenoid. With keyboard nudging back, this is the coolest feature for VP in a long time. Live catch by catching the ball with the finesse but releasing before the power kicks in. The P pacman stand up and the drop target in front might be easier with the finesse. Dead catches are still hard but possible. The finesse is all over the place but totally under control, not just a bounce reaction. Flip to the other flipper has the range to flip to an up flipper or a down flipper. Aiming is much better as well. It is possible to spell PAC-MAN in order.

Missing is also much easier and another great feature (actually it's a consequence).

Keyboard nudging has re-coil. Something VP has not had since 8.1

Cosmetic changes include the plexi plates that act as ball guides under the left lane plastic and inside the skill shot loop, textured lights, the white paint missing on the playfield, and some nits.

It has a very supple ball rolling, and rubber, plastic, and wire hitting sounds

On my LED I tilt the screen away until I get the ambient light I want. You can get from a well lit table to a dark table that way.

is this something that would work on a regular ol' PC, or does it need one of those dual-screen cab setups?

the one thing i have in compensation is a projector, so i would not be hurting for visual space.... like if i tried to run this on my laptop screen for example.

Required specs is a good question that I don't have an answer for. I don't have a dedicated GPU. It's an AMD Radeon HD 8670D. AMD a10 with 12 gig ram. The table uses one screen only.

wow, okay. i'm gonna have to think about a gaming rig if i ever get back in to VP.

What's that mean? "i have in compensation"

I would like to try a projector.

My rig is not a gaming rig, it's just the best one office depot had. It's a business machine, but it does have the best sound and graphics I have ever had on board. AMD don't have the plugs for nVidia so I will have to get a new power supply, or go ATI if I upgrade this.

I'm using Windows 8 not upgraded to 8.1

in compensation, because if worst came to worst i could potentially fit both VP-cab displays across the space of one monitor. because the image gets greatly blown up by the projector, you know? i don't know if that's actually possible with VP-cab tables, but that was my thought.

anyway, i'm really happy with projectors. the current one (epson EX6220) uses LEDs to create colors. the previous one (gametek) used a spinning color wheel, and those things tend to have problems over time. both cost around $600 - 700 because of having decent res (1280 across i think) and strong brightness-ratings (lumens). as i understand it, the cheaper ones drop off a lot in those two areas.

i'm not usually a big spender or a gadget hound, but this investment has been well worth it to me. unlike a TV, these are small and portable and can create a 14-foot diagonal image on my wall with surprisingly nice clarity. dunno about other places, but at microcenter you can test a product and bring it back in... 30 days i think and receive a full refund. actually, some people use the warranty part of that process to keep upgrading their stuff every year or two, but i'm not that sneaky. i.e., they bring something back near the end of the warranty expire, report it broken, and chances are they'll just be given the latest model, mint condition.

the only caveat i can think of about the LED-style projectors is that since they're newer technology, they may still be improving. this epson does have a slight problem with 'red-shifting' when i'm scrolling a browser page. otherwise it's sharper than the gametek. it also has a bluetooth option, altho so far i'm just running it by cable (VGA, HDMI, USB all possible).

anyway, dunno if i could run that custom VP with this laptop. it's just a mid-model 2GHZ AMD, no special graphics card. i really only game on my tablet anymore... currently playing nintendo DS games via emulator, which are a perfect match for the touch-screen.

Thanks. No I'm not suggesting you try this. I doubt it would run on the laptop

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Mibs Mibs: Popotte has posted a new reply in the thread "How Do I Move a DMD on the Backbox Using Script...
      Back