Mr. & Mrs. PAC-MAN (wide screen (VP9))

Thanks. I have been wanting to try that.

I only have a couple VP9 tables now, downloaded from here, but they work pretty well with this Dx9 build. Mine no so well, but it is years old and originally built with VP5 and 6.

Only two of the decals over lights work. But maybe light images would work. The maze lights are all messed up, and only one side of the spinner shows the image, the other side solid black. Maybe I could actually use gates now though. It's nice to see AA working well. The flippers seem no better but probably just need new settings.

I could not find settings that seemed to slow anything down. In VP9.2 with it's AA it would take a second to switch the lights (light lights that are used for texture (color) maps, drop walls, etc).

To me the value of a new VP would have nothing to do with existing tables but instead if new tables could be built with at least the same possibilities, regardless of the process.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
For some strange reason it was decided that black will be transparent regardless of the color selected as transparent in the image editor. This makes black graphics on a transparent background (about as common as you can get) totally invisible. Turns out the lenses are there, just can't see them.

The text decals P A C and M A N could be replaced with images, but they could no longer be black.

The maze lights could be resorted it appears, but the decals have to be redrawn only because VP is insisting on choosing the second transparency color as well as the black.

Not that backward compatibility is an issue but I would certainly call this behavior a bug, even if it is intentional. Is there such a thing as an intentional bug? There are certainly intentional bugs in the keyboard controls.

It might be a case of working toward backward compatibility, this strange stacking and transparency issue, but that would be a case of looking backwards instead of forward. Behavior that is good to work with is more important than behavior that works for past work-arounds.

Version 1.3 WIP

- Texture mapped maze (at least) lights. These shown will be refined.
- High resolution plunger. The keyboard is giving what appears to be the same resolution as the analog (joystick).
- Lighting for more elements.
- Flipper adjustments. Getting a little better (for my taste).
- Sounds added. For more dead hits.
- Back box brightened up a bit. But the digit display panels darkened a bit.
- More reflective ball, but with more subtle spots (scratches used to show rolling)
- Other minor adjustments.

It works better in the DX9 build than before, but still major problems. The lights in the maze shows that there is no consistency in the way DX9 build is handling them. The lights that show the capture also comes on between yellow and red when the lights are traveling, but not when it is spelling BALLY. This is correct, but in regular VP when they go off they go to the back. The seldom do in DX9. Also in DX9 the yellow lights turn off sometimes and the lights yellow lights that go to the back don't turn off. In regular VP the maze lights are always in a yellow off state if no lights are on. In DX9 this does not happen so the lights could be at any state at any time.

Also in DX9 the spinners are screwed up. They are used for the swinging wire triggers though the function more like two way gates.

Lastly, no text decals work in DX9.

Light function is out of my control, it is done by ROM.

The table works properly in VP9.2 though.

Attachments

• v1.3.bmp
    5.9 MB · Views: 330
Last edited:
I think these are better lights

Attachments

• frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 337
  • frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 336
  • maze.jpg
    maze.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 344
- Better maze light off in my opinion.
- Much work to the side walls. the back ones were showing the bottom of the back wall which looked bad, Also more reflections added. The lower side walls were invisible and the texture was drawn on the floor. I created a side wall texture for each side (lit and unlit) and it still reflects the right in-lane light and the diverter on the left.

- Still working on physics simulation.

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 339
I redrew the floor for more correct drop target lower banks, and the flexing targets behind them. And the hanging triggers housings.

I also set the slings threshold up and added a tiny bit of friction as there would be some give to the rubber even if the ball does not have the momentum to trigger the sling. This has done the most to improve the flippers because the flippers are bouncy and the slings would slap away a ball that would hop off a raised flipper but should have been trapped because its' speed was killed enough. All my traps are to lay the ball gently on the sling because dropping the flipper to catch it is harder to do, lost, or wildly flipped if too close to the tip. You can lay it up on the sling at a few addresses, but it usually comes down the same when the dead rubber kills a nearly dead ball.

The flipper recoil is such a good idea, but with much study I'm pretty sure it does more harm than good. It seems to lower the flipper a bit but with no tension in the motion so a ball can seem to stick to a flipper and act like it's created there instead of traveled there. That's what makes the drop catch hard to do in real life, the ball bounces if you are too late, failure if early. The problem I have with flipper recoil is that I could not find a small enough number to apply. It screws with reasonable elasticity settings.

Attachments

• detail.png
    detail.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 335
Almost done

Attachments

• pic3.png
    pic3.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 274
  • pic2.png
    pic2.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 273
  • pic1.png
    pic1.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 276
  • pic4.png
    pic4.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 281
  • pic5.png
    pic5.png
    50 KB · Views: 278
  • pic6.png
    pic6.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 282
It's looking good Phil.

Thanks Bob.

I started on the Plexiglas plastic covers. They are almost done. I didn't quite get the pics aligned for the animation.

Attachments

• output_P1y7uk.gif
    output_P1y7uk.gif
    68.6 KB · Views: 317
I'm almost ready to post this to the database here.

Version 2.1

- Room or backglass as a background option. The room has the table flanked by PAC-MAN and a Mrs. PAC-MAN arcade games.
- Flipper rubbers adjusted.
- A couple more white screw caps.

Attachments

• Room.jpg
    Room.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 331
Mr. & Mrs. PAC-MAN (wide screen (VP9.9)) WIP

Almost ready to release the DX9 (VP9.9) version. It will also work with the later DX7 versions of VP.

Attachments

• mmpacDX9.jpg
    mmpacDX9.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 299
That looks damn good!

Mr & Mrs PAC-MAN DX9.zip

Thanks Itchigo.

You can put it up at Rogue if you want to. The only place that is not welcome to it is VPF.

I also have a physics overhaul version and working on a FS version.

I think this is the best looking and playing version I have compiled.

Attachments

• mmpacDX9.jpg
    mmpacDX9.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Mr & Mrs PAC-MAN DX9.zip
    10.2 MB · Views: 306
Thank you. It'll be a while because my downloads area is down and I have to remake downloads entirely. I don't use DX9 on my cab yet, I'm waiting for thew final vp10 before I do anything. I plan to use 9.21 for anything old and dx9 for anything new via PinballX.

ReallY Itch VP9.9 DX9 works fine, runs 8x as fast and renders better here...

Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back