Future Pinball
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, as long as you understand that "Destruk" is a good friend of mine and Pinball Nirvana.

But positive critique (constructive criticism) is very important, regardless.

Yes...Nic,please tell me:cool:
With "quote", "URL" and basic BBL terms, one can create special entries, for example.

Okay, as long as you understand that "Destruk" is a good friend of mine and Pinball Nirvana.

But positive critique (constructive criticism) is very important, regardless.

Nic....I seem to have said that I wanted to comment on "Destruk" resources, not to speak or criticize "Destruk" as a person
this is what i said before, maybe the translation is not done well?

but it is a little particular,it concerns its resources (but I see that it is a bit for all resources)

here is my observation:
just as an example you mentioned above, of the 300 resources of "Destruk"
I noticed that the stars are highlighted on a resource (I like to call it a table,and not resource), with a comment from other users, right?

I'm also noticed, that not everyone here comments on the tables, even to say a thank you friend, you made a nice, ugly, gorgeous table, I want to say something on a table, for me it's better a comment,than putting the "thumb up sign" this ....? in order to understand each other

even in the resources of a GREAT table builder, like "Destruk", in 4 pages of resources, how many tables, 300? I have not counted them, received only 18 comments?

what I mean is simply how many users are registered on PN? not everyone has the good sense to thank those who build a table, or for a resource, even on a table like "indiana jones ultimate pro" just a comment.....only 1? to say an example

is just my observation Nic, it is not a criticism, I think I can say it, that it would take a little more common sense from people, and I also think, that I can't start commenting on all the tables, to encourage people , to say ... thank you for this table,friend

I think it's nice for a builder to be thanked for a table that you share for free

the end result is, that I won't see a star on my tables:eek::bigdance:

Last edited:
@Ike Savage

With "quote", "URL" and basic BBL terms, one can create special entries, for example.

sorry but I don't understand what I have to do? an example with a photo would be very useful...you can please?

I have noticed that tables have few comments here. There are many more comments on the other forums. Maybe you need something like the automated "Lady Scarlet" used on PinSimDB to make it so no one has to be the first to post something. It has always seemed silly to me but maybe it has its purpose.

sorry but I don't understand what I have to do? an example with a photo would be very useful...you can please?
I'm pretty beat at the moment. I'll create an example for you later.

Also, I don't fully understand the other stuff, so I'll have to re-read and think about it more.

I have noticed that tables have few comments here. There are many more comments on the other forums. Maybe you need something like the automated "Lady Scarlet" used on PinSimDB to make it so no one has to be the first to post something. It has always seemed silly to me but maybe it has its purpose.
Probably because Pinball Nirvana has been sort of a 'backup site' for most of its existence.

In terms of VP, authors have typically published their development threads at either the original VPF or the new one. That's significant, because that's where members can follow along with development and give feedback that even influences the project, sometimes. When the table is finished and uploaded, that site is therefore quite naturally the one where most people are going to comment first. Because it's the original site, so to speak.

As I observe it, you just don't get the same active audience and feedback when you're more of a backup site. So it's two things as I see it: 1) where the table's published first, 2) authors that maintain development threads. Both help draw comments.

I suspect that with FP development, users will follow it here given time. And it probably can't hurt to mention this on other forums once in a while, otherwise it's more hit and miss whether people happen to see stuff happening over here. Is someone getting the word out these days? Because I'm sure it would help.

I see some people are commenting already in Gimli's development threads, so that's some progress right there. By contrast, if you neglect creating a dev thread, and only upload a finished project, people don't buy in the same way, and tend to treat your table as more of a free asset to grab and scuttle off with.

Those are my observations, anyway.

Disclaimer: I only use FP so this is related to this "resources".

I understand on the lack of comments or starts/likes/thumbsup ...

Much like putting a like on all the comments that are useful (which should probably be pinned anyway as a higher "reward" for the author.

Also, people like me didn't go look for all the tables just because one registered. I pretty much have the tables I want from before coming here hence I don't go look. I actually did on one table recently because download it from here.

On my part though, good or bad, taking the time to (re)create a table means a huge effort so the authors are all aces in my book and I'd remove the stars / likes altogether leaving only the comments are for constructive criticism. My reasoning is simple; people being lazy by nature or even language barrier lends itself to people pressing a button instead of writing.

I'd rather see comments written in another language (translators are abundant nowadays).

On the topic of giving names to things, resources is very misleading. Should be related to things used to make a table that the author decided to give to community. So If there's a vote on this, Resources in it's current context, should be renamed to "Tables". Even "machines" is less misleading :)

PS: Yeah, probably nitpicking :)

@Ike Savage
Okay, let's say instead of having the system auto-create a preview for your tables, you wanted to create one manually. Here's an example:

And here is the code for that:
Code:
[quote][url=https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?resources/authors/wild.18212/]
[b][u][COLOR=#0000cc][size=6]Resources by wild:[/b][/u][/color][/size]
Nintendo NES Pinball BAM 1.5
Krull_Gottlieb 1983 BAM 2.5[/url][/quote]

You can play around with that a lot, inserting images, reformatting text, and so forth.

Notice especially the "BB codes" used. Here's a help-index of those:

"BB codes" are essentially the older, traditional way of formatting posts. XenForo now adds the ability to format invisibly, so to speak. For example, notice how I'm able to format the text "Invisible formatting!" without any BB code?

Invisible formatting!.jpg

I used the buttons at the top of the panel to do so. It's also important to know that you can mix BB code formatting with invisible formatting like this. As a matter of fact, it can get kind of tricky and confusing when the two methods are mixed together.

If you want to strip out invisible formatting, highlight the desired text and hit the "Remove formatting" button, circled at upper left in purple.

Another handy feature is the "Draft" button in upper right, circled in orange. This lets you save your unfinished post, leave the site, then come back and re-load it before publishing. It's also an automatic process which happens every 30 seconds, in fact. We have drafts set to be stored for 24 hours, FYI. I think you can keep a comment stored indefinitely as long as you make sure to re-save it every 24 hours or less.

(Actually, I guess we could boost up the 24 hour cutoff if anyone's interested. Maybe to a few days or something. I doubt the server load is very high even with the increased posting activity the past few months.)

So, Paulo, that's a bunch of stuff to check in to and experiment with. I'm still kinda learning the new features myself, actually. If you need more tutorials and advice, they should be easy enough to google, since most other XF forums should work exactly the same way.

Last edited:
On the topic of giving names to things, resources is very misleading. Should be related to things used to make a table that the author decided to give to community. So If there's a vote on this, Resources in it's current context, should be renamed to "Tables". Even "machines" is less misleading :)
Agree, actually. Indeed, the resources section here used to be called "Downloads" before the upgrade to XF. I do think downloads is a good word, since it covers not just the tables / machines, but all other kinds of stuff, like videos, sound files, art, etc.

IIRC @JonPurpleHaze looked in to changing it back to "Downloads" early on, but IIRC the "Resources" label is not easy to change via standard admin options.

Hey Jon, based on a quick search, looks like it used to be a pretty straight matter of renaming the word from /appearances/phrases/ in the admin panel, but seems like with the arrival of XF 2.0, it's no longer so easy.

Maybe a template editing situation, now?

@AnonTet,
Not sure I covered everything you mentioned. It sounds like overall you are very "chill" with the whole situation, but one thing I've learned is that if you think you have a good idea, it's okay to be assertive about it. Make your case with logic and clear terms, and it will be hard to offend anyone.

I kind of learned that through the years myself, having strong opinions about things, but wanting to be cooperative and "nice" for the good of the community. It's quite an effective method of getting ignored, from what I found. :wink:

Last edited:
@wild,
I noticed that the stars are highlighted on a resource (I like to call it a table,and not resource), with a comment from other users, right?

The stars get generated by reviews, which include the ability to add a comment. That's how that works.

I also understand you're a little underwhelmed or disappointed in the numbers of reviews and comments for tables. That makes perfect sense to me, and I pretty much feel the same way, yeah!

If you look at my comment in post #31 to @GeorgeH, I share some opinions on all that.

Bottom line as I see it-- the more original content that gets posted here first, the more comments and reviews we'll naturally receive. But engaging the audience is important, via outreach to other sites and via development threads.

In the case of Destruk (350 resources!), his stuff was developed at VPF and only copied over here later. You're simply not going to reach the same audience doing it that way.

Last edited:
@GeorgeH
I did not understand what you suggest...... so I'll ask you some questions
Maybe you need something like the automated "Lady Scarlet" used on PinSimDB to make it so no one has to be the first to post something
1) who needs this "Lady Scarlet"?
2) what is this "Lady Scarlet"? which also used on PinSimDB, I never knew
3) "to make it so no one has to be the first to post something" this sentence makes me think and understand that: would you like the table publishing system as in Pinsim? that is, it must be an administrator or a moderator to publish the table?

@Ike Savage
Nic, I'm not underwhelmed or disappointed, but surprised instead..... I can't understand why it happens
however, I agree with you, perhaps the simple fact that: if a table was first released or followed in another place and thread, this influences giving some comment or star, or whatever you want......I say this just to say, not for a second purpose
krull and nes,are two updated versions, so something new.

can I give an example
if I go out to dinner, in 3 different places, and order 1 pizza equal to each place, and the pizze,it's all three good, what do I do?

I thank all three cooks, or pizzaman.... do not you agree ;) but I understand that this is another story :D

Thanks for your much appreciated graphic help, I will do some tests?

@AnonTet
sorry if I don't reply your comment, but I didn't understand very well your point of view, so I can't answer you.
maybe Nic has already done it

@GeorgeH
I did not understand what you suggest...... so I'll ask you some questions
Maybe you need something like the automated "Lady Scarlet" used on PinSimDB to make it so no one has to be the first to post something
1) who needs this "Lady Scarlet"?
2) what is this "Lady Scarlet"? which also used on PinSimDB, I never knew
3) "to make it so no one has to be the first to post something" this sentence makes me think and understand that: would you like the table publishing system as in Pinsim? that is, it must be an administrator or a moderator to publish the table?

You may not have noticed but nearly every table posted on PinSimDB has a comment by LadyScarlett01 that always says "merci bien". My understanding is it is posted by the PinSimDB web site to encourage people to post something. Apparently, some folks have reservations about being the first person to post so LadyScarlett01 is supposed to break the ice. I learned this from Bob. He may know more about it. @Gimli

The only benefit I have seen to having a moderator approve postings on PinSimDB is to delete spam before it gets posted. If the moderators are doing their job, they should be reviewing everything anyway.

You may not have noticed but nearly every table posted on PinSimDB has a comment by LadyScarlett01 that always says "merci bien".

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...oh mamma mia,Yes, I understand, who are you talking about,
but maybe I can tell you that, LD, is not a robot, or something set on or by pinsim, as a first comment

sometimes is not the first comment, in some of my tables he also commented as well,I don't know at other tables, you could check your George

in haunted castle

LadyScarlett on 2016-07-28
Table version : 1.00

left and right flipper = cursor left and right

change for numpad 8 et numpad 9 and = no problem and perfect play = thank a lot.
Laughing

Joue sans problème maintemant.

don't touch numpad 3 and 4 because add

106 000 pts to your score and numpad 6 add 104 000 pts. cursor left add 21 000 (bizarre???).

@wild you are a genius. Funny table.

With library = problem again. (21 000pts and have several ball that is added during the game ) thanks again...
Cry

Super de belle table, merci bien.

Il y a un problème: chaque fois que j'appui sur le flipper gauche j'obtiens 21 000 pts?????

Aussi est-ce normal d'avoir plusieurs balle qui s'ajoute en cours de partie???

google translation:

There is a problem: every time I press the left flipper I get 21,000 points ?????

So it is normal to have several ball that is added during the game ???

when open table i have message:

Unabled to open Library `HC Intro.fpl` ,

`HC stagegame.fpl` and

`HC music.fpl`.

in zaccaria farfalla and batman

LadyScarlett01 on 2019-11-08
Table version : 1.0
merci bien pour la belle table.

what I mean maybe is a user, I remind you that we also thought of Police99, a spam or robot, instead I saw,who is not, even he is also a user here on PN, therefore also LD, can be a user, even if he writes and comments in the same way, even police99, always uses almost the same way...so I might think that LadyScarlett is also a user, and not as you think George

I apologize to police99, if I had to talk about you ...... but I only did it to explain

Last edited:
I have not noticed that LadyScarlett has posted anything but "merci bien". It must be a real person. I noticed that the user ID changed from LadyScarlett to LadyScarlett01. If it were automated, there would be no reason to make a change like that.

Bonjour à vous,
Pour aider à votre débat, Je ne suis pas un robot et Police99 est mon ami de coeur. Voilà!

Merci bien pour les tables, vous faites du bon travail.
Bonne journée !

It is official! You are a real person! I appreciate your response. I am sorry some of us thought that you and Police99 were robots.

Even though we are a small group of guys that produce Future Pinball tables, we work at producing the best tables we can.

Thank you for your reply.

@wild
No problem. I was just commenting on a post mentioning the "resources" above my answer.

@Ike Savage
Not sure what you mean by "chill" but i'm cool with what it is now. It's just that english not being my native tongue, I understand how the word resources can be misleading at first sight. I hope I didn't express myself in any other way that just point my point of view. I don't make demands on a house that is not mine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forum activity
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Beers is our newest member. Welcome!
      Back